Video Games

tifosi77

Video Games

Postby tifosi77 » Fri May 14, 2021 2:01 pm

Started Far Cry 5 this week. Love these games (FC3 is easily in my top 5 ever played)...and this one is off to a great start. Story so far in this one is great. Love the setting and the villains that are being established. Cults have always fascinated me, so looking forward to seeing this all play out.
I'm a big Far Cry fan; I don't want to spoil anything for you at this stage, but I'll be interested to hear your take after your 15 hours of campaign play.

What I liked most about 5 was that pretty much the entire map is open for exploration no more than about 10 minutes into gameplay. There are also some fantastically silly/fun side missions outside of the campaign. And player customization is on par with Ghost Recon: Wildlands, which is fun.

DigitalGypsy66

Video Games

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri May 14, 2021 2:04 pm

@NTP66 this might help? Or muddy things further. :lol:

NTP66

Video Games

Postby NTP66 » Fri May 14, 2021 2:08 pm

I'll have to read more into it. so let's call your post helpful.

Dickie Dunn

Video Games

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri May 14, 2021 3:01 pm

Glad to hear people liked Andromeda. I never got around to it due to the early negative reviews but now will give it a shot whenever I have time in between diaper changes.

Regarding the Legendary Edition, absolutely **** get it. ME1 got more enhancements because it’s the older game, had bad vehicle handling, and had a wonky weapons system that didn’t mesh with the changes made in ME2 and ME3. All three games are fantastic, the remaster includes all DLC (except one meh entry that had corrupted source code), they’re working on a new game that will serve as a sequel to the original series and Andromeda, and I can safely say a thorough play through clocked me 60+ hours of game time for each title when first released.

NTP66

Video Games

Postby NTP66 » Mon May 17, 2021 11:09 am

My neighbor told me something interesting over the weekend. I don't know if this applies to all Best Buys, but apparently the few in our area do the same. They aren't listing their stock online, and aren't putting the XSS/XSX out on the floor. You actually have to go to customer service and ask for one, if they have any. Worth a shot for anyone still looking for a new Xbox.

Morkle

Video Games

Postby Morkle » Mon May 17, 2021 11:36 am

It's wild that we're this far into 2021 after release and people still can't find systems.

NTP66

Video Games

Postby NTP66 » Mon May 17, 2021 11:38 am

It's apparently worse for PS5, based on what I've read. Sony said they were ramping up production, but that's a long time to allow people to choose another platform due to availability (that's why I chose XSX).

skullman80

Video Games

Postby skullman80 » Mon May 17, 2021 11:44 am

It's apparently worse for PS5, based on what I've read. Sony said they were ramping up production, but that's a long time to allow people to choose another platform due to availability (that's why I chose XSX).
Sony has sold almost 8 million units as of the end of april (I know alot of those are scalpers), but I doubt they are worried all that much haha.

https://www.cnet.com/news/sony-ps5-now- ... -says-npd/

tifosi77

Video Games

Postby tifosi77 » Mon May 17, 2021 12:52 pm

I just did a Google of "PS5 sales", and the second search result was a Forbes story with the headline 'Utter PS5 Sales Dominance Is The Only Narrative That Matters To Sony Right Now'.

According to NPD, the PS5 is the best selling game console at this point of its launch - both by unit and dollar volume - in the history of home gaming.

shafnutz05

Video Games

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon May 17, 2021 1:01 pm

Started Far Cry 5 this week. Love these games (FC3 is easily in my top 5 ever played)...and this one is off to a great start. Story so far in this one is great. Love the setting and the villains that are being established. Cults have always fascinated me, so looking forward to seeing this all play out.
I'm a big Far Cry fan; I don't want to spoil anything for you at this stage, but I'll be interested to hear your take after your 15 hours of campaign play.

What I liked most about 5 was that pretty much the entire map is open for exploration no more than about 10 minutes into gameplay. There are also some fantastically silly/fun side missions outside of the campaign. And player customization is on par with Ghost Recon: Wildlands, which is fun.
I wish I could go back and rediscover the first FarCry again. Although at the time I first played it, my PC was not equipped to handle it. Those water features...

NTP66

Video Games

Postby NTP66 » Mon May 17, 2021 1:21 pm

Well then, the article I read was obviously wrong.

tifosi77

Video Games

Postby tifosi77 » Mon May 17, 2021 1:42 pm

Re the first Far Cry

Once the game got into the genetically manipulated monsters, I sorta checked out. So I've never actually finished that campaign.

But I do kinda like the FC Unified Theory, that Jack Carver from the first game is the Jackal (the arms dealer) in FC2; Hurk appears in FC3, 4, and 5; Longinus has you running around Kyrat seeking crates full of blood diamonds in FC4; etc. I've also seen speculation that FC6 (starring Giancarlo Esposito) is actually a prequel that will tell the origin story of Vaas ("Did I ever tell you the definition of insanity?") from FC3, who is one of the most iconic - and most poorly utilized Big Bads - in the history of gaming.... I mean, he's such a poorly utilized Big Bad you don't even really kill him in gameplay, and he is technically not even the actual Big Bad of the game, but rather a henchman. lol

Thankfully, Pagan Min makes up for that in 4. Such a great villain.

eddy

Video Games

Postby eddy » Wed May 19, 2021 6:59 am

the wicked child

Video Games

Postby the wicked child » Wed May 19, 2021 10:01 pm

Finished up the platinum on Nier Replicant v1.22... earlier. Despite my early annoyances, I enjoyed the game quite a bit... with a few notable exceptions.

The great:

The soundtrack is A+. Pretty much every song worms its way into your brain as you're fighting your way across the world and is just some top notch stuff. In particular, Hills of Radiant Wind, which you hear quite a bit, but never gets old.

The combat is nothing insanely complicated, but it is fun as hell. I found myself gravitating towards a particular subset of moves, but there are different weapon types and magic that change up the play enough to fit different play styles, and certain combos certainly work better against specific enemies than others. Regardless, combat seldom felt like a chore.

The good:

The story is pretty bleak, and occasionally some of the dialogue will be a bit tiresome, but overall, the story is interesting, and depending on your knowledge of the series, probably doesn't go where you expect it to. Having played Automata already, some of the revelations weren't quite as hard hitting, but there were still surprises for sure.

Also in typical Nier fashion, the story reveals itself over the course of several different endings, each revealing a bit more of the story, and moving closer to the 'real' ending. All told, you have to complete the full game at least once (twice if you don't complete it under 15 hours and you want the speedrun trophy), part 2 three additional times, and then you have to start a fresh game and play to a certain point in part 1 before it goes into the final ending.

This didn't bother as much as I thought it would since I enjoyed the music and combat so much.

The bad:

The side quests are the drizzling shits. Almost every one is some sort of fetch quest, or a run back and forth between point a and b seven times. You only need 30 for trophies, but I completed most of them to get the gold and other rewards.

the ugly:

a couple of the trophies suck really bad. The first is fully upgrading 33 weapons. The problem is that some of them require super rare materials that have a low spawn/drop rate, and on some occasions literally only spawn in one specific spot, requiring you to continually reload the game to try again if you don't get it. I have no idea why I put myself through this grind. It sucked, there is no sugar coating it... some of these materials are just flat out RNG.

the other really **** trophy is the one for harvesting a white moonflower. This requires at a minimum 4 gardening cycles. Without any kind of manipulation, it takes 24 hours after you plant seeds for the flowers to bloom, and then another 24 before they wilt and you can collect the seeds. You have to do this at least 4 times (although the last one is only the first half of the cycle since you want the flower, not the seeds).

To make this more painful, the game remembers the system time that the seeds are planted. this means that it will be 24 hours from that point before the next cycle. You can slightly manipulate this by starting on the earliest timezone to plant, then jumping to the latest one to advance a day. but of course you have to do this multiple times because of course the chance of the flowers actually crossbreeding and giving you the next color in the chain is only like 10% or some ****, and is determined at the time of planting if it will work or not.

So after a few days of this horseshit, I finally got to harvest the white flower today. So dumb, but once I committed to the weapon materials, there was no turning back.

Summary: Overall, great music and combat with a story that probably doesn't go where you're expecting make it a fun game. But unless you're a Completionist, should probably avoid the platinum because that materials grind is teh shits.

nocera

Video Games

Postby nocera » Thu May 20, 2021 3:57 pm

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Video Games

Postby count2infinity » Thu May 20, 2021 4:27 pm

How can they even know that? No one can buy either one... :lol:

NTP66

Video Games

Postby NTP66 » Thu May 20, 2021 4:30 pm

When were the consoles released, and what are the total numbers? I’m genuinely curious because I swear I have seen that Xbox was selling more overall.

nocera

Video Games

Postby nocera » Thu May 20, 2021 4:33 pm

Neither are on shelves in America. Overseas, Sony crushes MS and I don't see that changing any time soon. I don't know where they're getting their figures as Microsoft doesn't release sales data. I don't know if Sony does. This seems like a guess really.

NTP66

Video Games

Postby NTP66 » Thu May 20, 2021 4:35 pm

If Microsoft doesn’t release sales data, what the **** is the source of this article?

MR25

Video Games

Postby MR25 » Fri May 21, 2021 3:53 pm

@nocera @willeyeam how are your Diamond Dynasty teams looking?

Here's my roster, built mostly through progress rewards and moments (Topps Now, etc):
Roberto Alomar
Wade Boggs
42 Series Babe Ruth
Evolution Series Mike Piazza
Bryce Harper
Monthly Moments Justin Turner
Cavan Biggio (was one of the program packs - 91 OV)
Xander Bogaerts

Bench
Topps Moments Paul DeJong
Topps Moments Adolis Garcia
Monthly Moments Vlad Guerrero Jr
Monthly Moments Brad Miller
Monthly Moments Shohei Otani

Starting Rotation
42 Series Bob Gibson
Monthly Moments Nathan Eovaldi
Topps Moments Dylan Cease
Topps Moments Carlos Rodon
Max Scherzer (pulled him in a regular pack last night)
Lot of power in that roster. I tend to swap Boggs out for DeJong because I have 0 luck hitting with Boggs, but DeJong has maybe 13 hits and 12 homers? Also just pulled a Giancarlo Stanton, but I literally have nowhere to fit him into my roster.

tifosi77

Video Games

Postby tifosi77 » Fri May 21, 2021 6:28 pm

When were the consoles released, and what are the total numbers? I’m genuinely curious because I swear I have seen that Xbox was selling more overall.
I think the last time Microsoft sold more Xboxes than Sony sold PlayStations was a few months after the PS3 launch. MSFT came to market with the 360 about a year ahead of what was expected, so they built a huge advantage. But with the film/TV industry commitment to Blu-ray (and MSFT obviously backing the HD DVD format), the PS3 became sort of immediately dominant, and it has remained that way through today. As I recall, it was actually Sony's decision to include Blu-ray compatibility with the PS3 that helped nudge the studios in favor of that format, as MSFT didn't include an HD-DVD player as standard with the 360. So the content creators knew going in they'd have an installed base of millions of users who would already have the ability to play videos on the new media. (And iirc the PS3 was actually one of the best Blu-ray players you could get for several years)

skullman80

Video Games

Postby skullman80 » Fri May 21, 2021 6:38 pm

The PS3 was a great Blu-Ray player. It was an entry for a ton of people into that format. Two for one deal...gaming system and Blu-ray player.

NTP66

Video Games

Postby NTP66 » Fri May 21, 2021 6:50 pm

I meant the XSS/XSX and PS5, not all gens, FWIW. And yeah, the BR player alone was why I bought my first PS3. Outside of some Oppo units, you just couldn’t beat the PS3.

the wicked child

Video Games

Postby the wicked child » Fri May 21, 2021 7:39 pm

I bought a ps3 when they first released the LOTR:EE blu-ray set. I kinda wanted to play stuff like God of War for a long time but not enough to buy another system. Been on PS since.

nocera

Video Games

Postby nocera » Fri May 21, 2021 9:11 pm

@nocera @willeyeam how are your Diamond Dynasty teams looking?
I hate to admit it but I gave up on the game. The difficulty was either too hard and I couldn’t get a hit or too easy and I was knocking it out of he park every at bat. I didn’t have the patience to “git gud.”