Macys closing downtown

Miami Vice

Macys closing downtown

Postby Miami Vice » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:50 pm

there are tons of places to eat and drink, and theres lots of live theater if youre into that, but really not much else.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Macys closing downtown

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:54 pm

there are tons of places to eat and drink, and theres lots of live theater if youre into that, but really not much else.
I mean... if you're living downtown, isn't that kind of what you want? What else should there be?

columbia

Macys closing downtown

Postby columbia » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:54 pm

It's not gonna fly until there's a grocery store in dahntahn. One of the ideas behind living there is that you can dispense with owning a car.

Troy Loney

Macys closing downtown

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:58 pm

I mean... if you're living downtown, isn't that kind of what you want? What else should there be?
That and being able to walk to work.

NAN

Macys closing downtown

Postby NAN » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:59 pm

What else do you want?

There are also sporting events, walking trails, parks, other shopping. And they just built an organic grocery store in market square and plan on building a full grocery store over in PPG Place 2 in the near future.

To me, that is downtown living.

NAN

Macys closing downtown

Postby NAN » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:00 pm

It's not gonna fly until there's a grocery store in dahntahn. One of the ideas behind living there is that you can dispense with owning a car.
They just opened an organic grocery store in market square and plan on opening a full out grocery store in PPG place where the foodcourt was once the leases expire.

Also, you have the strip district where you can buy pretty much anything.

Troy Loney

Macys closing downtown

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:01 pm

At least with the places close to the cultural district, the strip district is close enough for food shopping. But it seems like most of the cheap rental places are near point state park...which would be a hike to the strip. When i was kicking around the idea of moving downtown it was contingent on selling my car and just using bike/scooter.

NAN

Macys closing downtown

Postby NAN » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:01 pm

I honestly don't know, which is why I plan to find out by moving there. ;)

I was just saying that in this particular case I'm not sure if more apartments downtown is worth losing something like a department store. When I said 'nothing' I was just conveying that I can't have both a cheap apartment and things to do if everything turns into housing.
The department store was going away regardless. They are going to have retail on the bottom floors. Trust me, there is a lot more than housing down here.

Miami Vice

Macys closing downtown

Postby Miami Vice » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:05 pm

the stores mostly all close at 6pm, for starters.

contrast that with the Shadyside/East Liberty/Larimer border and you have Target, Home Depot, Trader Joes, Whole Foods, 2 Giant Eagles, Mellon Park, a number of coffee shops that are open later, etc.

The only other thing I'd like to see is a movie theater.

But the real difference between Pittsburgh and larger cities on the East Coast is [lack of] good public transit.

Troy Loney

Macys closing downtown

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:10 pm

contrast that with the Shadyside/East Liberty/Larimer border and you have Target, Home Depot, Trader Joes, Whole Foods, 2 Giant Eagles, Mellon Park, a number of coffee shops that are open later, etc.

But the real difference between Pittsburgh and larger cities on the East Coast is [lack of] good public transit.
It also has the east end busway, which is basically as good as the trolley for public transit to town. Right now, I'll only go over there for Trader Joes. The roads are a disaster around Penn right now.

NAN

Macys closing downtown

Postby NAN » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:11 pm

Well, outside of maybe a very small handful of the largest citites, those stores don't exist in downtown centers. They exist in the outskirts and the suburbs, like you stated. If you want access to those places, that is where you live. Not downtown.

I do agree with your post about the public transportation if you want access outside of the city.

Miami Vice

Macys closing downtown

Postby Miami Vice » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:16 pm

I'm probably biased but I think the East End is the best part of the city to live in. If you are in walking distance to those kind of stores then you can get by 100% car-less. And as you mentioned getting a bus to the South Side Works and the Waterfront is really easy (until about 12am that is).

When I lived in the NYC area I lived in a place like the South Side Works called Newport, right across the Hudson from Manhatten. I was one PATH stop away from my office and there was a huge shopping mall across the street.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Macys closing downtown

Postby LITT » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:20 pm

lol there is no 'shopping' downtown

Pavel Bure

Macys closing downtown

Postby Pavel Bure » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:23 pm

Macy's is stupid expensive when compared with most every other big box or small retail store.

Troy Loney

Macys closing downtown

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:28 pm

I'm probably biased but I think the East End is the best part of the city to live in. If you are in walking distance to those kind of stores then you can get by 100% car-less. And as you mentioned getting a bus to the South Side Works and the Waterfront is really easy (until about 12am that is).

When I lived in the NYC area I lived in a place like the South Side Works called Newport, right across the Hudson from Manhatten. I was one PATH stop away from my office and there was a huge shopping mall across the street.
I've lived in shadyside, friendship and Squirrel Hill. I would definitely take Squirrel Hill. It has the more developed commercial strip, and much better traffic outlets. Unless I don't know all the different short cuts, there are way more driving options to get in an out of squirrel hill to other places in the city.

NAN

Macys closing downtown

Postby NAN » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:40 pm

I'm with you. I'd choose Shadyside. But that is a different experience than what you are searching for downtown IMO.

slappybrown

Macys closing downtown

Postby slappybrown » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:21 pm

I've lived in shadyside, friendship and Squirrel Hill. I would definitely take Squirrel Hill. It has the more developed commercial strip, and much better traffic outlets. Unless I don't know all the different short cuts, there are way more driving options to get in an out of squirrel hill to other places in the city.
You def don't know the shortcuts bc sq hill is the worst in terms traffic and ingress/egress amongst those options

Troy Loney

Macys closing downtown

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:00 am

Really?

If I'm coming out of squirrel hill I can get right on to the parkway. It's also quick to Oakland, Southside, East Liberty and the Waterfront. And there are three options to get downtown during congested times, 2nd Ave, Boulevard of the Allies and the Parkway. When your in Friendship/Shadyside/East End, your basically taking Bigelow Blvd for everything.

dodint

Macys closing downtown

Postby dodint » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:58 pm

My issue is I want to live downtown, but the job would likely be in Oakland. In the summer I could bike, but the winter I assume I'd either have to take a bus or drive.

Troy Loney

Macys closing downtown

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:06 pm

My issue is I want to live downtown, but the job would likely be in Oakland. In the summer I could bike, but the winter I assume I'd either have to take a bus or drive.
Definitely one of the best bus routes to be using. Oakland to Downtown, there are at least 8 buses that are constantly running between Downtown and Oakland.

As for biking...that's a pretty sketchy route. No bike lanes and traffic moves pretty fast up and down Forbes/Fifth Avenue.

NAN

Macys closing downtown

Postby NAN » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:32 pm

Am I the only person in Pgh that never met someone under the Kaufmann's clock? Does anyone want to meet me there?

willeyeam

Macys closing downtown

Postby willeyeam » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:34 pm

Am I the only person in Pgh that never met someone under the Kaufmann's clock? Does anyone want to meet me there?
yeah sure see you at quarter to NEVER!! Burn!!

NAN

Macys closing downtown

Postby NAN » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:36 pm

yeah sure see you at quarter to NEVER!! Burn!!
:(

Kaiser

Macys closing downtown

Postby Kaiser » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:46 pm

Lok'tar O'gar

Go home Garrosh, you're drunk.