These Honda engines are rockets this weekend

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:47 pm

Define 'happier'.

CBear3

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby CBear3 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:17 am

@dodint Did you stay home this weekend to work on the E46?
I was surprised not to see your name when I check TTNATs results.

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:48 am

My law school graduation ceremony landing on the weekend before really killed me. It would've been four weeks of vacation in a row, so I passed. And yes, indeed, did work on the E46. Finished pulling and packaging the wire harness and got that sent off. New motor should be here this week so I am deconstructing the old one, salvaging what I can.

Tyler did have a co-driver that ran the car with him. Tom O'Gorman was running in class so it would've been a tough hill to climb anyway. ;)

I have LeMons at Gingerman in the VW Rabbit in two weeks, then a pretty good hiatus until August. Unless I decide to run Stephen Miller's Celica monstrosity in July at TTNT Gingerman.

This is where we last saw the E46 before I dropped it off at the cage builder:

CBear3

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby CBear3 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:50 am

Busy man, looking good.

Tomas

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby Tomas » Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:07 pm

No idea why they made it, but it features castles and David Coulthard, so...
(and the car indeed raced through all those places)

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:48 pm

This is me in my buddy's Scion FR-S last month in Texas.

The first part of the video is the usual fastest lap stuff.
The second part is really tricky high-speed spin that I had. RIP tires. I'm pretty sure it was just a combination of a damp track, cold tires, and braking after turning. But I'm still a bit startled at how quickly it happened, I'm not sure I could've done much to save it once it started. I had cars following so I let off the brake and allowed it to coast backward into the field rather than putting them at risk.

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:56 pm

What's the deal with your telemetry dropping to 0?

Also, I've never mentioned it before but I find it somewhat surprising that at an official SCCA even you aren't required to wear some kind of fire protection.

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:11 pm

Fire protection is required if you have made changes to the fuel system.

I brought the wrong OBDII adapter and it didn't work. So I had to rely on GPS data. That's why there is no RPM or Throttle data as well.

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:13 pm

Oh, I won my class despite that spin. My buddy came in second. Was a fun podium.

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:33 pm

Dude, well done!

CBear3

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby CBear3 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:35 pm

This is me in my buddy's Scion FR-S last month in Texas.

The first part of the video is the usual fastest lap stuff.
The second part is really tricky high-speed spin that I had. RIP tires. I'm pretty sure it was just a combination of a damp track, cold tires, and braking after turning. But I'm still a bit startled at how quickly it happened, I'm not sure I could've done much to save it once it started. I had cars following so I let off the brake and allowed it to coast backward into the field rather than putting them at risk.
Wow that was quick. Looked like you had it loaded up on the RF when you stabbed the brake but wouldn’t have expected it to whip that quick.
So, being in somebody else’s street car, how hard was it to go in drive in there the rest of the the weekend? I had a moment where I barely got stopped at HPT on one of the downhill lefts, and I’m sure I brakes at least 100 feet early the rest of the day.

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:46 pm

Yeah, it is pretty alarming how readily that stepped out. Nobody I have shown it to has a good theory, so far. It had oversteer all weekend but nothing like that.

We insured it so I gave it full send. But Tyler and I are very good friends. That spin was on the first timed session. I didn't even set an official time in that session, my coach released me into the lead car after doing my black flag check. Just a complete mess.
I did forgoe the last session of the weekend after I clinched first place. Tyler was driving back to KC in the car on his own and it felt like tempting fate to run a frivolous session. Had we balled it up I would have had to cancel my next day golf plans and tow him back home.
Tyler blew up my motor at Nats in 2019 so in a way I owe him one. ;)

Come to think of it, I gave a full send effort at VIR in Dan's FoST too, and we are new friends. If the car is insured I really don't think about it at all.

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:27 am

That spin looks like my single-car crash on Sunset in 2002. Looped past 100° of rotation and ended up in a driveway, where I smacked into the lights and a metal bar came through my door window and embedded in my headrest.

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:34 am

In the Celica?

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:51 am

No, that crash was why I had to get the Celica. Was an Eagle Talon.

shafnutz05

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:18 pm

Has anyone watched the Superstar Saturday Night racing on CBS? Putting this in this thread because there are a bunch of non Nascar drivers in there. Bill Elliott, Paul Tracy, and Willie Ribbs. Randomly tuned in and enjoying it.

https://www.autoweek.com/racing/more-ra ... xperience/

Go check it out.

MWB

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby MWB » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:28 pm

Through watching the Formula One Netflix series and playing the 2019 F1 game, I’ve become fascinated with F1. Seems very interesting, and may even watch the race tomorrow.

shafnutz05

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:48 pm

Hallie Deegan looks really impressive.

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:52 pm

Unfortunately F1 is not interesting. :lol:

It's best enjoyed in it's condensed and highly edited form on Netflix.

Tif, Celica or Talon it is pretty impressive to get that kind of oversteer with a FWD car. I have only did that once.

MWB

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby MWB » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:55 pm

Thanks for bursting my balloon, lol.

I guess what sucks is that you have to be in Mercedes or Ferrari to win… why is that?

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:00 pm

;)

Watch it like a mixed class race and it is more interesting. The same 4 cars are always up front. Then the midpack fights for 5 thru 10. It's so widely known it's called "Formula 1.5" and has its own "championship" on reddit.

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:37 am

Tif, Celica or Talon it is pretty impressive to get that kind of oversteer with a FWD car. I have only did that once.
I was cresting a blind right hander that leveled off on exit. After turn in, while cresting the rise, I panicked because I forgot where the road went, and when the dynamic weight tranferred back to the front and I still had steering lock on I was gone. I was between 105 and 110 indicated. I don't say that as a brag..... as John Mulaney says, "I could've changed so many lives!"

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:39 am

I guess what sucks is that you have to be in Mercedes or Ferrari to win… why is that?
F1 certainly doesn't capture my heart like it used to - I would get up at 4 am to watch races live - but watch the race and make up your own mind.

Speed costs money...... how fast do you want to go? Ferrari made some wrong decisions with their car a few years ago and have not been consistently competitive for awhile now. They previously had a 21-year gap between championships, and are in year, I think, 14 of their current drought. Most teams race to sell cars, but Ferrari's DNA is that they sold cars to fund their racing. They've long moved passed that, but that's where dingbats like me latched on to the romance.

Since the 70s, each decade has seen at least one advancement that became widespread and slightly changed the entertainment value of the sport. Usually not in a good way.

Trip McNeely

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby Trip McNeely » Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:31 am

F1 certainly doesn't capture my heart like it used to - I would get up at 4 am to watch races live - but watch the race and make up your own mind.

Speed costs money...... how fast do you want to go? Ferrari made some wrong decisions with their car a few years ago and have not been consistently competitive for awhile now. They previously had a 21-year gap between championships, and are in year, I think, 14 of their current drought. Most teams race to sell cars, but Ferrari's DNA is that they sold cars to fund their racing. They've long moved passed that, but that's where dingbats like me latched on to the romance.

Since the 70s, each decade has seen at least one advancement that became widespread and slightly changed the entertainment value of the sport. Usually not in a good way.
I still love F1. The engineering and tactics are so cool. There’s no comparison to any other racing IMHO. It’s also growing here in the US despite the racing itself being worse. Safety measures have made the cars bigger so passing is harder but it’s still great.

I’m also really excited about next year. I think Ferrari will be back competing for titles with all the changes being made to the chassis and engine unit for 2022. After that the “salary cap”, should help with parity. And it’s likely going to bring in some new teams in the next decade with costs being capped. I wouldn’t be surprised to see someone like Porsche or Audi getting into the mix