Pro Wrasslin' Thread

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby iamjs » Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:57 pm

Last edited by iamjs on Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

iamjs

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby iamjs » Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:06 am

skullman80

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby skullman80 » Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:14 am

I don’t even know how that spot gets greenlit honestly. Darby cheats death every match it seems. Still entertaining though.

Morkle

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby Morkle » Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:00 am

Honestly, it wasn't event a good action item. Nobody set the guy at the bottom to roll off, he was sitting on the side, so it was telegraphed he was going through it.

Frankly, doing stuff like this just to do it, doesn't even make sense, and it cheapens Darby, imo.

skullman80

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby skullman80 » Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:27 pm

Sting's speech after the show went off the air. (well the first part of it was on air, but not the last few minutes.)

the wicked child

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby the wicked child » Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:00 pm

A couple amusing moments in there...

TK's reaction to the absolute chaos outside the ring when he sees it up close

Darby ending with "I'm gonna go to the hospital real quick".

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:09 am

Here's another one for the "things that never would've happened if Vince was still around" list:

BTW Sting's final match being this hardcore brawl with glass and stupid backyard wrestling bumps from a ladder feels very wrong. I watched the match and there's zero storytelling or emotion there. The ridiculously stupid Darby bump overshadowed everything else that happened. Not showing the post match promo was whatever. Although Darby having to remind Sting to bring out Tony, then Tony coming out like a bumbling idiot saying absolutely nothing was pretty funny. Really, should've had all of that happen on Dynamite anyway.

iamjs

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby iamjs » Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:23 pm

Darby ending with "I'm gonna go to the hospital real quick".
and I'm still not sure how he came out of that with only 12 stitches.

I'm sure the pieces of glass that are being picked out of his back has to be in the hundreds but the left side of his back looked really carved up when he came back to the ring.

skullman80

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby skullman80 » Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:55 pm

Here's another one for the "things that never would've happened if Vince was still around" list:

BTW Sting's final match being this hardcore brawl with glass and stupid backyard wrestling bumps from a ladder feels very wrong. I watched the match and there's zero storytelling or emotion there. The ridiculously stupid Darby bump overshadowed everything else that happened. Not showing the post match promo was whatever. Although Darby having to remind Sting to bring out Tony, then Tony coming out like a bumbling idiot saying absolutely nothing was pretty funny. Really, should've had all of that happen on Dynamite anyway.
I'm gonna disagree a bit here at least on the story telling and emotion part. The story telling leading up to the match was actually well done with the Young Bucks being douchebag EVP's. There was a multi week story leading up the match that laid everything out.

Based on that build up to the match (sting, his sons, and darby getting beat to a bloody pulp after being jumped by the young bucks as an example) what happened everything that happened in the match made sense at least IMO. Darby's bump was stupid, but it's what he does, and in the context of the story they built...kind of makes sense. (He said he'd die in stings last match) I get why people don't like the spot though.

I thought the match conveyed exactly what they wanted based on the story they told leading up to it. Plus its not like Sting hasn't been going through tables or jumping off balconies his entire AEW run. He got to go out the way he wanted to and that match was what he wanted...so who am I to say that's wrong. Plus Sting at his age can't wrestle a pro longed normal match...he's good for brawls and tag matches which is what this was.

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:11 pm

I watched the match in a vacuum, definitely didn't see any of the build, and have seen very little of Sting in AEW. My bar for retirement matches is Flair/HBK. I think that's one you can watch on its own, without knowing any of the build, and still feel the emotional impact. Maybe it's unfair to compare Sting's match to one of the greatest "final" matches in history but even looking at other retirement matches, I feel this one falls short. Michaels/Undertaker is another great one that doesn't need the build to put it into context. Even Savage/Warrior from Wrestlemania 7 had more of an emotional impact. Sting's was a car crash, not representative of his career as a whole, and he was overshadowed by an insane spot. I also don't think it's a coincidence that my examples of good retirement matches ended with the retiree looking at the lights.

skullman80

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby skullman80 » Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:23 pm

That's all fair...without seeing the build I can see why you don't have the emotional attachment. I'm just saying these types of matches are what Sting has been doing his entire run in AEW. He was 28-0 leading up to this match, and without looking it up I'd bet almost every single one of those was a tag match, and most were tornado/street fights/no dq. It's what he can do at this point in his career, and his run had been fantastic (IMO).

I was also happy and pleasantly surprised that they let Sting and Darby win. There was zero reason for him to lose that match. Let the fans have a feel good moment and Sting go out on top. The YB didn't need to win the titles or need any sort of rub. I believe they are doing a tourney now to crown champions since Sting is done, and Darby is going to climb Mt. Everest or what ever.

I will always have a soft spot for Surfer sting from when I was a kid (Crow sting was cool but I was more of a WWF/E guy during that time), but his AEW run was awesome and the ending was a perfect sendoff and just respectful. For me it hit all the right notes and was a perfect sendoff.

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:55 pm

:thumb: You were definitely the target audience so if you were happy then it was successful.

Ad@m

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby Ad@m » Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:09 pm

TIL that Earthquake was a sumo wrestler.

skullman80

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby skullman80 » Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:08 pm

Okada as a heel with the YB? Not what I expected but could be interesting.

the wicked child

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby the wicked child » Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:11 pm

Okada as a heel with the YB? Not what I expected but could be interesting.
I did not see that one coming. Been quite awhile since someone debuted and immediately turned heel. Not sure that's happened since Adam Cole.

the wicked child

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby the wicked child » Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:29 pm

Christ. two weeks in a row of fricken Riho?

skullman80

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby skullman80 » Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:04 pm

This main event is incredible.

skullman80

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby skullman80 » Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:07 pm

Ospreay best wrestler in the world right now? So **** smooth with everything he does. Fletcher held his own too.

the wicked child

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby the wicked child » Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:07 pm

This main event is incredible.
Indeed.

Hard to believe we get to see Ospreay and Okada on a regular basis now.

Fletcher isn't too shabby either - he just hasn't had a ton of opportunites yet.

skullman80

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby skullman80 » Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:08 pm

Inject Danielson and Ospreay into my veins.

the wicked child

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby the wicked child » Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:13 pm

Adding Ospreay and Okada is so massive. Probably the 2 best wrestlers in the world that were not already signed to AEW or WWE. It will be quite awhile before they run out of awesome matches.

Case and point... Danielson and Ospreay staredown to end the show.

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:03 pm

Woof

the wicked child

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby the wicked child » Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:15 pm

skullman80

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby skullman80 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:01 am

Both look way different especially Ospreay. That dance off is great though lol.

skullman80

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby skullman80 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:17 pm

https://frontofficesports.com/wwe-nick- ... king-suit/

Nick Khan and Steph named now....

WWE president Nick Khan and COO Brad Blum are the men identified as Corporate Officers No. 1 and No. 2 in a sex trafficking lawsuit filed in January in federal court in Connecticut against the company, former chair Vince McMahon, and former talent-relations executive John Laurinaitis."

"Front Office Sports independently identified Khan and Blum, as well as the two other anonymous corporate officers to whom the suit refers, by cross-checking the details of the suit against publicly available records like online résumés and corporate filings, as well as information provided by sources familiar with WWE. (Corporate Officer No. 1 is said in the suit, for example, to have maintained a fourth-floor office at the company’s former headquarters, which a person who worked there confirmed was true of Khan.) FOS then asked Grant’s lawyer, Ann Callis, whether its reporting was accurate.

“I can confirm that these names are correct,” she said."

"The person identified in the suit as Corporate Officer No. 3 is, according to FOS reporting that Grant’s lawyer confirmed, McMahon’s daughter, longtime WWE executive Stephanie McMahon. She is mentioned once, in an ambiguous context."

"The person identified as Corporate Officer No. 4, according to FOS reporting which Grant’s lawyer confirmed, is Brian Nurse, formerly general counsel and head of WWE’s legal department."