Thread of Cellphones

Silentom

Thread of Cellphones

Postby Silentom » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:05 am

Those things all sound lovely, actually. I hate social media.

Someone get this marsupial man a Blackberry.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Thread of Cellphones

Postby iamjs » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:33 am

So, I have a flip phone. I've had the same phone since roughly December 2011.
Is that you Sid?

DigitalGypsy66

Thread of Cellphones

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:57 am

Good for you. I think our society would be better off with fewer smartphones.

I enjoy my Droid Turbo, but I've been thinking about going back to a "feature phone." Keep us updated on your selection.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Thread of Cellphones

Postby iamjs » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:04 am

I just upgraded to a Pixel 2 yesterday. Two years with the giant LG V10 was enough, but I already miss the SD storage and replaceable battery. Also, it uses the new USB-C standard, which means all of the $150-odd dollars worth of Anker accessories I bought three weeks ago are now useless without adapters.
I got blindsided by that too when I got my Pixel. Verizon dude opened the box, showed me the cable, and my reaction was "wait, what the **** is this?" :lol:

I was kinda pissed because I had a bunch of old Blackberry chargers and micro USB cables from my old job that were gonna be scrapped. Apparently they weren't concerned about the cables also working with Samsung products. Was told to get rid of them since we no longer used Blackberry, so I ended up with like 20 chargers and probably just as many USB cables if not more. Some took longer to charge the phone than others, but having a small box of cables stashed in my car at the ready for when I forgot my charger was kinda nice. After I got my pixel, I started to give them away but then realized I still had quite a few items that still use it (bluetooth speakers, external batteries, etc., PS4 controllers).

The best deal I could find on USB-C cables would be this 4 pack on Amazon for $11. That one footer is kinda useless unless you're plugging into a laptop.

I may have ranted about this before, but the camera takes great pics in auto but I was kinda disappointed in the lack of manual adjustments available in the camera.

eddy

Thread of Cellphones

Postby eddy » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:16 am

I just upgraded to a Pixel 2 yesterday. Two years with the giant LG V10 was enough, but I already miss the SD storage and replaceable battery. Also, it uses the new USB-C standard, which means all of the $150-odd dollars worth of Anker accessories I bought three weeks ago are now useless without adapters.
I got blindsided by that too when I got my Pixel. Verizon dude opened the box, showed me the cable, and my reaction was "wait, what the **** is this?" :lol:

I was kinda pissed because I had a bunch of old Blackberry chargers and micro USB cables from my old job that were gonna be scrapped. Apparently they weren't concerned about the cables also working with Samsung products. Was told to get rid of them since we no longer used Blackberry, so I ended up with like 20 chargers and probably just as many USB cables if not more. Some took longer to charge the phone than others, but having a small box of cables stashed in my car at the ready for when I forgot my charger was kinda nice. After I got my pixel, I started to give them away but then realized I still had quite a few items that still use it (bluetooth speakers, external batteries, etc., PS4 controllers).

The best deal I could find on USB-C cables would be this 4 pack on Amazon for $11. That one footer is kinda useless unless you're plugging into a laptop.

I may have ranted about this before, but the camera takes great pics in auto but I was kinda disappointed in the lack of manual adjustments available in the camera.
I was taking some pictures of Christmas lights at night, wow can this camera take some really amazing low light pics! Only hiccup I've encountered was charging it last night, it said it was charging rapidly, but would be done in 1 day and 4 hours. I unplugged it and tried again and it adjusted to an hour and half, but I thought this thing would charge faster. I can't complain too much because the battery gets me through almost 2 days so far.

Do you use the standard messages texting app? I can't figure out if there is an option to switch group texting to individual for everyone in the text without going out to the main settings and changing it that way. I'd think you'd have that option inside every group text?

tifosi77

Thread of Cellphones

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:35 pm

Those are also really good for connecting to a portable charger/external battery, which is something I do frequently. I ended up buying a bunch of USB-mini female-to-USBC male converters.

eddy

Thread of Cellphones

Postby eddy » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:29 pm

Does anyone use Project Fi or know anything about it for their cell service?

AuthorTony

Thread of Cellphones

Postby AuthorTony » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:05 pm

I bought a Pixel 2 last week. After two iPhone models, I have to say, I'm impressed. The camera is fantastic for a cell phone camera and the phone is fast and responsive. One thing I don't like is that I have to enter my password to check voicemail. With the iPhones, I just clicked the message. Any way to do the same on an Android system?

eddy

Thread of Cellphones

Postby eddy » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:29 pm

I bought a Pixel 2 last week. After two iPhone models, I have to say, I'm impressed. The camera is fantastic for a cell phone camera and the phone is fast and responsive. One thing I don't like is that I have to enter my password to check voicemail. With the iPhones, I just clicked the message. Any way to do the same on an Android system?
I have one as well and don't need to do a password. It does say I have to set a pin to call voicemail, but I don't do that nonsense. I just click play and listen to it?

eddy

Thread of Cellphones

Postby eddy » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:49 pm

For pixel 2 owners and a few others

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/17/1690 ... protection

From their project fi website I can double my data with 2 phones for roughly $60-70 less a month than what I'm paying with Verizon now. I realize there will probably be some issues with coverage , but if that savings is correct, it's worth it. Must do more research.

AuthorTony

Thread of Cellphones

Postby AuthorTony » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:58 pm

That is very tempting.

tifosi77

Thread of Cellphones

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:15 pm

Mrs Tif's employer pays the phone bill, otherwise I'd be tempted to give that Project Fi thing a look.

Willie Kool

Thread of Cellphones

Postby Willie Kool » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:49 pm

Picked up a pair of Pixel 2 XL's today to replace our 4½ year old Droid Maxx and MotoX. My old Droid stopped getting updates at version 4.4.4 and the internal speaker had failed. Mrs K's Moto was beat to hell, with one corner held on with clear packing tape.

:shock: Holy ****. I guess we were a little overdue for an upgrade.

eddy

Thread of Cellphones

Postby eddy » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:33 am

For those that have the Pixel 2. If you goto Settings > About phone > click on build number a bunch of times to unlock developer mode

you can then go back one screen and goto "Developer Options" and scroll down and unlock "Camera HAL HDR+" which enables the Pixel Visual Core co-processor which unlocks HDR+ ENHANCED in your camera mode.

I just messed around with it last night, but now you'll have the option of HDR OFF, HDR, and HDR+ ENHANCED. I'm not really sure how much it makes a difference, based on some testing last night, it seems that you can't have motion pictures ON with HDR+, but that feature seems to take a better picture in low light (less noise). There is a lot of conflicting info out there about the different modes, but it's nice to have that additional feature.

MR25

Thread of Cellphones

Postby MR25 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:42 pm

My phone has been doing this off and on since we had that really cold weather. Now, it's been stuck for about 48 hours, so I think it's pretty much done.

Touch on that side still works (which is why I can still type stuff, just not always clearly), so I don't think the screen is full broken. Just the display is messed up.

Anyone know how to fix that sort of thing with out needing to break open the phone and do a hardware replacement?

shafnutz05

Thread of Cellphones

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:14 pm

Good for you. I think our society would be better off with fewer smartphones.
I agree, but I would never want to give mine up. It's crazy how much society (in terms of social stuff) has changed even since I graduated high school in 2001.

eddy

Thread of Cellphones

Postby eddy » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:51 am

I switched over to Google Project Fi. So far so good.

willeyeam

Thread of Cellphones

Postby willeyeam » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:51 pm

What is the rough area of eddys habitance

eddy

Thread of Cellphones

Postby eddy » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:07 pm

What is the rough area of eddys habitance
https://fi.google.com/coverage

you can check out coverage here. Apparently it runs off of T Mobile, Sprint, and US Cellular towers.

eddy

Thread of Cellphones

Postby eddy » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:45 pm

Another thing I'm enjoying about Google Project Fi is they seem to roll out updates and new features to everyone on their customers on their network first. If you are thinking about switching over and getting a new phone, if you get a new phone through project fi, you can take advantage of $5 monthly insurance if anything were to happen. Unfortunately, i didn't realize that when I got mine through Target (at least I got a $500 gift certificate)

MrKennethTKangaroo

Thread of Cellphones

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:14 am

anyone have experience buying unlocked phones from amazon and/or bestbuy? Is this a PITA if you are a Verizon customer?

eddy

Thread of Cellphones

Postby eddy » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:16 am

anyone have experience buying unlocked phones from amazon and/or bestbuy? Is this a PITA if you are a Verizon customer?
last 2 phones I bought were from Amazon and no issues at all. Both went through service at Verizon.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Thread of Cellphones

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:17 am

last 2 phones I bought were from Amazon and no issues at all. Both went through service at Verizon.
Do you have to worry about any fees that Verizon might spring on you? or is it a free service

eddy

Thread of Cellphones

Postby eddy » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:19 am

Do you have to worry about any fees that Verizon might spring on you? or is it a free service
I don't remember any fees except the activation fee which they waived for me after some persistence.

eddy

Thread of Cellphones

Postby eddy » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:40 pm

Regarding Pixel 2: Anyone know what the difference is in the camera app between HDR+ and HDR+ enhanced. I can't find a lot of info on it and I've been in chat with Google for about 25 minutes now and the only thing they have been able to say is it's more vivid on enhanced, but there has to be more than that...