Thread of Cellphones

eddy

Thread of Cellphones

Postby eddy » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:21 pm

Note 5 and S6 Edge+ showcased today, on sale at the end of the month. Neither have removable batteries or storage. LG remains the only one left with the G4 that has both as far as "flagship" devices go.
I like that you can pop the pen out and write on the screen without turning on the phone and getting into s note. other than that, looks to have the same display and camera as note 4. It also has a slightly smaller battery. not very impressed.

Also looks like the Note 5 is RAW photo capable, wouldn't you want a removable SD card if you are dealing with RAW photos and only have 32gb of storage?

Here's hoping they update the Note 4 with some of the new touchwiz features from the note 5

Miami Vice

Thread of Cellphones

Postby Miami Vice » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:01 pm

when i travel I take my old phone with me. it still works great, and I have a spare for battery purposes or in case i were to damage mine.

Craig

Thread of Cellphones

Postby Craig » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:28 pm

Hungry shark is such a great game.

dodint

Thread of Cellphones

Postby dodint » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:21 pm

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/ ... loyal-fans

As a really satisfied Note 3 user, the article above does a good job of showing how Samsung lost touch with my kind of user. As tif said, if I wanted an iPhone, I'd buy one.

Unrelated, but it's fun to chuckle at the sheep:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhBdPx53pfQ

columbia

Thread of Cellphones

Postby columbia » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:01 pm

What's the tl;dnr scoop on Verizon changing their plans? This only affects new purchases?

tifosi77

Thread of Cellphones

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:42 pm

What's the tl;dnr scoop on Verizon changing their plans? This only affects new purchases?
Presumably. Mrs Tif just upgraded to an S6 and we stayed on the same type of plan.

Miami Vice

Thread of Cellphones

Postby Miami Vice » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:15 pm

Tmobile did this years ago, and I assume Verizon is doing the same thing.

When Tmo started it you had a choice between a subsidized phone w/ contract or no contract and buying your own phone. I opted for a 2 year since the phone I wanted was on a special promotion for only $50 that week.

That was in 2012 and the contract run until last fall. Some time after that ended they changed my contract to reflect that I had "paid off" my phone, and the bill dropped $20 a month or something like that.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Thread of Cellphones

Postby meow » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:16 pm

Hungry shark is such a great game.
This is correct.

shafnutz05

Thread of Cellphones

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:11 pm

Allow me to wholeheartedly endorse the Galaxy S6. For $10 more, you get the S6 Active, which is waterproof (not salt water) and has crazy drop tolerance. It's a really nice little phone, and one of my favorite aspects of it is the new "fast charger", to me any way. This thing takes barely over an hour to get to full charge and the battery lasts forever.

Juice

Thread of Cellphones

Postby Juice » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:54 pm

I have the LG G3 which I broke and I'm going to get the LG G4.

Badass screen sup 4k REZ
Badass camera sup 16mergaperxels back 8 mergaperxels front
Removable battery sup extended battery that got 2 days on omfg mega balls max brightness
Sd card slot sup up to 2tb onboard storage
Very small bezel sup no giant front buttons
No buttons on the sides sup quickcamera button without the awkward press the screen to take a picture face button
1/2 the bloatware of a samsung sup shad and kicksave f ur galaxies
I.R.MFIN BLASTER sup every remote controlled device ever

Algernon

Thread of Cellphones

Postby Algernon » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:13 am

I'm kind of an htc fan boy

bhaw

Thread of Cellphones

Postby bhaw » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:22 am

I said this at the other place, but my wife's year old 5C gets sick battery life. She go can a day and half without a charge, easily. And she's a heavy user of the phone.

My S3? Even after new batteries, it's nagging me to recharge by 4-5 PM each day. Most days, it sits next to me at my desk, without being used.

I just think iOS is much more efficient with power usage. And my S3 was designed to use an older version of Android, so it's really inefficient. When it was new, it wasn't bad. Who doesn't charge their phone(s) daily anyway?

I'm still thinking about S5 or S6. I've never run into storage problems, but batteries are a concern.
With all of them, it depends on what's running or on in the background. My S6 was always dead by 8pm... completely dead. I put a WiFi toggler on there and shut off the GPS and suddenly I can have 50% battery when I get home from work. I just turn the GPS on if I need to use Waze to go somewhere I don't know how to get to.

DigitalGypsy66

Thread of Cellphones

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:14 am

Source of the post With all of them, it depends on what's running or on in the background.
Yeah, most definitely. My S3 - by the end - had been in use nearly three years. That's a lot of apps and crap running in the background.

My Droid Turbo is pretty good with battery so far, but I'm disabling notifications and shutting off all of the BS Verizon apps. Like who in the right mind would use VZ Navigator over Google Maps or Waze? Didn't think about the GPS/location disabling though, I though I turn off the bluetooth and only turn it on when I sync my fitbit.

dodint

Thread of Cellphones

Postby dodint » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:08 pm

I'm thinking it's time to root my Note 3. I really want to get in there and remove all of the terrible Sprint/Samsung bloatware.

bhaw

Thread of Cellphones

Postby bhaw » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:11 pm

Source of the post With all of them, it depends on what's running or on in the background.
Yeah, most definitely. My S3 - by the end - had been in use nearly three years. That's a lot of apps and crap running in the background.

My Droid Turbo is pretty good with battery so far, but I'm disabling notifications and shutting off all of the BS Verizon apps. Like who in the right mind would use VZ Navigator over Google Maps or Waze? Didn't think about the GPS/location disabling though, I though I turn off the bluetooth and only turn it on when I sync my fitbit.
I've found that I barely use GPS because I'm not going anywhere new 90% of the time. I can leave bluetooth on and still have solid battery life with GPS off and the Wifi toggler. Of course, I stopped all notifications but text and work email as well.

tifosi77

Thread of Cellphones

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:30 pm

GPS is still helpful if you use an app like Waze for nav. My commute is only ~12 miles, but I rarely take the same route either way more than twice a week. And when I do, it's because the freeway traffic is light.

skullman80

Thread of Cellphones

Postby skullman80 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:32 pm

I'm about ready to swap phones. I have the lG G2.. and it's been a great phone. Probably just gonna go LG G4, but the Samsung's look nice. It would be nice to have removable memory, but it's not a deal breaker to me, nor is a removable battery.

skullman80

Thread of Cellphones

Postby skullman80 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:34 pm

I've found that I barely use GPS because I'm not going anywhere new 90% of the time. I can leave bluetooth on and still have solid battery life with GPS off and the Wifi toggler. Of course, I stopped all notifications but text and work email as well.
I leave GPS off unless I'm using google maps or something that needs it turned on. Never really thought about turning BT off cause I never noticed if it sucked my battery dry or not.

tifosi77

Thread of Cellphones

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:35 pm

Is the G4 pretty much the only flagship-level phone with 'legacy' features like SD and a removable battery?

Juice

Thread of Cellphones

Postby Juice » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:39 pm

Is the G4 pretty much the only flagship-level phone with 'legacy' features like SD and a removable battery?
yes

Miami Vice

Thread of Cellphones

Postby Miami Vice » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:43 pm

I have a G3.

I never thought much of LGs Android phones but I think its really nice (I've had all HTC phones going back to the G1)

dodint

Thread of Cellphones

Postby dodint » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:03 pm

Wait about 3 years and they'll be back as a 'great new idea', maybe even an Apple innovation.

Miami Vice

Thread of Cellphones

Postby Miami Vice » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:01 am

Found out that they are discontinuing company issued smartphones and are forcing employees to use their own.

I'm in a client facing role, so we all have them. Everyone is going ballistic about it except me. I rarely look at my blackberry when I travel (I have a netbook thats connected to my work pc). So if I'm in a lobby or waiting for a plane I open that. And I've wanted to have their remote access VPN app on my phone since I heard about it, but it was reserved for upper management. I carry a spare emergency phone when I travel, so I figure I'll just set up their app on it.

eddy

Thread of Cellphones

Postby eddy » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:22 pm

Why does twitter on android automatically update to the newest twitter message when I open it. I want to start at the bottom where I left off and read up, not scroll back down through everything...

cadams

Thread of Cellphones

Postby cadams » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:38 am

Why does twitter on android automatically update to the newest twitter message when I open it. I want to start at the bottom where I left off and read up, not scroll back down through everything...
Which app and platform? I remember this occasionally happening when I was using the official app on android but hasn't happened since I moved back to iOS With the official app.