Super Bowl LVII Thread

RonnieFranchise

Super Bowl LVII Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:11 am

March is too dependent on college basketball. If you don’t care about it like me then it’s meh

April is unequivocally the best with the Masters, NHL and NBA playoffs and the NFL draft

close second is October with baseball playoffs, football regular season and Ryder Cup
Masters
Don't care

NBA playoffs
Don't care

and the NFL draft
Most overhyped event on the sports calendar.
Sorry, you must be confused, this debate is for sports fans
Plenty of time to catch up on sleep in April unless hockey's on.

skullman80

Super Bowl LVII Thread

Postby skullman80 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:21 am

Golf is the most boring sport on the earth to watch on TV...pass.

NBA....meh. College hoops I can watch, NBA is a no go. No rooting interest.

NFL Draft can be interesting sometimes, but overall it's way too long.

Baseball -- Also boring to watch on TV. If the Pirates ever got halfway decent I'd try to watch more, but again 162 games way too long of a season for me to try an invest time into. If I want to watch baseball players try hard and still not be any good I'll go watch my nephew play 8U baseball.

Dickie Dunn

Super Bowl LVII Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:26 am

Philly becomes the first city to lose three major sports titles in one year.
Phillies, Eagles, and?
Union
MLS doesn't count lol.
I wouldn't count them either, but their TV ratings are on par with the NHL at this point so :shrug:

mikey

Super Bowl LVII Thread

Postby mikey » Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:13 am

Heh, Philadelphia lost...

willeyeam

Super Bowl LVII Thread

Postby willeyeam » Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:16 am

Spoiler alert

robbiestoupe

Super Bowl LVII Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:41 am

https://www.yahoo.com/news/fans-terry-b ... 14405.html
“Big guy. Let me get the big guy in here,” Bradshaw said to Reid, holding out his hand to usher him to the front of the stage for an interview.

“Come on, waddle over here,” Bradshaw said.

Then he cackled.

After their brief talk of the game, Bradshaw told Reid: “Have a cheeseburger on us.”
What a dick. He cries all the time that he's a disrespected nitwit jock when he's actually smart. OK, Fredo.

shafnutz05

Super Bowl LVII Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:44 am

I've already encountered several hungover, miserable Eagles fans today. Two of them are digging in our neighborhood as they lay new fiber cable. :lol:

tifosi77

Super Bowl LVII Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:00 pm

One other thing: any displaced Yinzers get conflated as being an Eagles fan because we have ties to Pennsylvania? I don't wear/talk about the Steelers/Penguins/Pirates stuff much at work. People know I lived there, and down here people tend to think of Pennsylvania as being one thing - like everyone roots for PA teams. As such, I got a "Oh, you must be upset this morning about the game!" comment from someone at work. I thought she meant the RiRi halftime show at first. But nope, she assumed I was rooting for the Eagles because I am from PA. Uh no. That happens all the time down here, with the Eagles last win and the Phillies last season.
I sort of overcompensate on the black & gold. I have a Terrible Towel visible in my Zoom background (along w lots of other misc junk memorabilia), and tend to wear team gear on game day. But honestly my experience has been the presumption is more generally in favor of Pittsburgh, anyway. Philly teams having sporting success is a fairly recent and novel phenomenon. It has changed a bit the last couple years, but when I'm out ane about I'm almost as likely to see a Steelers license plate holder or window sticker as I am a Rams one.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Super Bowl LVII Thread

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:03 pm

I've already encountered several hungover, miserable Eagles fans today. Two of them are digging in our neighborhood as they lay new fiber cable. :lol:
Eagles fans being miserable is implied regardless of any outcome, no?

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Super Bowl LVII Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:48 pm

Not sure if this is a Cerified MIMH Take but I realized yesterday that I do not care at all about Super Bowl commercials anymore

I think I’m cynically exhausted from being advertised to in seemingly every facet of my life and honestly I think the commercials have jumped the shark; I don’t think the commercials are as clever as they think they are

mikey

Super Bowl LVII Thread

Postby mikey » Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:51 pm

People that care about Super Bowl commercials are weird...

Troy Loney

Super Bowl LVII Thread

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:52 pm

Last year was notable because of all the crypto ads

This year was back to getting a bunch of celebs together and doing old cultural references (caddy shack and grease).

mikey

Super Bowl LVII Thread

Postby mikey » Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:14 pm

It's been 16 hours or whatever, I legit can't remember a single commercial already...

willeyeam

Super Bowl LVII Thread

Postby willeyeam » Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:20 pm

the only one I remember and give credit for, and it's because it actually upset me, was the tubi streaming one that looked like someone hit the home button on the firestick mid game

tifosi77

Super Bowl LVII Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:24 pm

That's up there with radio commercials that use a car horn sound effect. P**s off, jerkface ad guy.

tifosi77

Super Bowl LVII Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:32 pm

Eagles:

- Were one relatively average game away from setting a single-season sack record, yet didn't record a single sack against a hobbled quarterback, and instead allowed him to scramble for 25 yards on the last KC possession.
- Allowed a defensive score
- Allowed the longest punt return in Superb Owl history after a 3-and-out 4th qtr possession in a 1-point game
- Defense got completely snowjobbed on the same motion concept against two different looks that resulted in walk-in red zone TDs (Seriously, watch the replays of these two plays.... there are like 2 or 3 Eagles defenders on the same side of the hash marks as the receiver; how the hell do you scheme guys open by ten yards in the red zone.)
- Didn't make a single defensive stop in the second half

But please, let's dodint and moan about a jersey tug.

CBear3

Super Bowl LVII Thread

Postby CBear3 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:34 pm

Got a kick out of the Ram commercial.
Eagles were great, Chiefs were great, sure the penalty robbed us of a great ending but the rules are the rules. He got held on the cut of his dig route and then again when he turned it upfield. The DB holds there because he sold out to stop the crossing route and was in a bad position then to defend the move outside. So it prevents JJ from getting separation on the outpart of that route.
The QB's went 48-65, a combined nearly 75%. So the argument that the officials "let them play" the first 58 minutes is kind of mute, because everybody was wide ass open all game.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Super Bowl LVII Thread

Postby LITT » Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:38 pm

im really bummed out about miles sanders not scoring a TD. had a few parlays that were 5+ legs and each leg hit except for his TD. was really disappointed they didnt give him a touch at the goal line. lost on the chance to win about 2100 bucks

mikey

Super Bowl LVII Thread

Postby mikey » Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:43 pm

For whatever it's worth, both the penalty taker and penalt-ee (?) agreed that it was the right call...

mac5155

Super Bowl LVII Thread

Postby mac5155 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:52 pm

So she is definitely pregnant lol
26 weeks
Good for her. Though that's crazy being pregnant what like 3 months after giving birth? Damn girl

nocera

Super Bowl LVII Thread

Postby nocera » Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:52 pm

It's been 16 hours or whatever, I legit can't remember a single commercial already...
I remember Alicia Silverstone.

mac5155

Super Bowl LVII Thread

Postby mac5155 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:54 pm

im really bummed out about miles sanders not scoring a TD. had a few parlays that were 5+ legs and each leg hit except for his TD. was really disappointed they didnt give him a touch at the goal line. lost on the chance to win about 2100 bucks
I was wondering why he seemed to never get any snaps.

I missed a big payday when Devonta Smith went out of bounds on that long catch instead of into the end zone. Finished even with Hurts 2+ TDs (should've gotten greedy and went 3+ :lol:)

mikey

Super Bowl LVII Thread

Postby mikey » Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:03 pm

I remember Alicia Silverstone.
Ooh, that's a good point...

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Super Bowl LVII Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:03 pm

For whatever it's worth, both the penalty taker and penalt-ee (?) agreed that it was the right call...
honestly doesn't mean anything to me. Bradberry said what he needed to say to move on and of course JJSS ain't gonna say it wasn't a penalty

on replays I still cringe because it does not feel like a penalty. Yes he technically held him by the letter of the law but the route was only very minorly affected and even if it was technically a hold it was not NEARLY significant enough to call it

the refs can't swallow their whistles entirely in a late game situation. like the Saints-Rams game from a few years back, you have to call pass interference if its that obvious. but mikey we both know how angry you'd be if an NHL ref made a call like that in the third period of a game 7 in the cup finals; you'd be apoplectic ESPECIALLY if they were not calling the same amount of contact earlier in the game

of course what's done is done so all we can do is dodint and moan. I just wish there was more accountability for refs in all sports. not that replay would've changed anything here but it's embarrassing how stagnant we've gotten with our use of it (the coach's challenge system is antiquated imo. there should be much more continuous calls from the "sky judge" and that process should be much more transparent). also shitty refs can make objectively shitty calls and their unions are so strong that we can't get rid of them. it's getting very annoying

mikey

Super Bowl LVII Thread

Postby mikey » Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:05 pm

The refs swallowed their whistles the entire game...?