5AF Film Club

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

5AF Film Club

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:13 pm

Maybe you guys would rather go to meow’s Film Club but I thought this could be a fun idea

Once a month we select a member of the club at random to pick a film that we all who want to participate watch. Over the course of the month we all see the movie at some point and then we have a long form discussion about it in this thread

We can discuss any topics (theories, thoughts on performances, what we hated about it, trivia we learned about it, who should’ve won the Oscar’s, etc) and I mean for this to be like a complement to the movie thread. There it’s kind of “what did you see lately” while this would be more “let’s all see the same movie and discuss it like we would the Steelers game” kinda ****

The movie doesn’t have to be previously seen by the suggested but can be. Ideally the movie would be interesting enough to discuss for some reason but no movie would be off limits. Maybe you want to pick Attack of the Clones to spark a discussion about how it’s arguably the worst movie of alltime or about George Lucas as an artist or how you actually think the prequels are strokes of genius but misunderstood. Or maybe you want to everyone to watch Le Samourai because you read it was the greatest French film ever.

We can either pretend to be pseudo-intellectuals or at the worst it’s just a “potentially interesting movie suggestion generator”.

What do ya say? Wanna let Manager MIMH work his magic?

Gaucho

5AF Film Club

Postby Gaucho » Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:51 am

I'm intrigued.

shafnutz05

5AF Film Club

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:53 am

Me too. This is actually a fun idea MiMH.

tifosi77

5AF Film Club

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:10 pm

I've mentioned the weekly club I do at work, so I probably won't partake here unless it's a movie I already know. But this is a fun exercise; I've seen probably a dozen great movies in the last year and a bit that I otherwise might have never been bothered to watch.

I would recommend staying away from blockbusters, because people tend to see those regardless. But it's your club, have at its.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

5AF Film Club

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:57 pm

I've mentioned the weekly club I do at work, so I probably won't partake here unless it's a movie I already know. But this is a fun exercise; I've seen probably a dozen great movies in the last year and a bit that I otherwise might have never been bothered to watch.

I would recommend staying away from blockbusters, because people tend to see those regardless. But it's your club, have at its.
I don’t want this necessarily to be about only new films or something. I think there are fun topics to talk about with ALL movies. Like it would be fun to have a “greatest blockbuster”, “was this the peak of their career”, “how did this not get a best director nom” type convos that could out of those

to me any topic related to cinema can be allowed because there’s a lot to of entryways into new (and hopefully fun) topics

Troy Loney

5AF Film Club

Postby Troy Loney » Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:23 am

1. I think bi-weekly would be more conducive to conversation. Once a month is fine for a book club, but I think that’s too slow for rolling movie convos.

2. Not sure I understand how the selection process is supposed to work. Seems like you’re implying a discussion takes place?