meow
71%
MIMH
29%

Total votes: 24
tifosi77

Who Would You Rather Have as a Boss?

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:34 am

I don't want to work directly for anyone who can't figure out how to get out of a dozen meetings a day. I also don't want to work for someone who volunteers to strangers that their nickname is Weenie. This is worse than the human-sized ducks poll.

genoscoif

Postby genoscoif » Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:38 am

Man, are you guys looking at this wrong.

Meow is obviously the better man, but would not be the better boss.

Meow is a goalie. Goalies are egotistical, narcissistic sociopaths that overvalue their role in the success of the team while downplaying any fault in the failures. They are superstitious beings that value mysticism over preparation. They require constant validation of their efforts, regardless of merit. And Meow's small hands likely would result in an overcompensation in areas where he could wield authoritative power. He'd be a nightmare to work for.

MiMH, on the other hand, is like a puppy...like a little Siberian Husky puppy. Sure, he makes a lot of noise, but most of it is just nonsensical sounds. He (obviously) doesn't require any type of meaning outside validation for his daily routine, other than the occasion pat on the head. He's moldable, like play-doh but with less interesting colors. Plus, if he ever questioned your judgement regarding an important decision, you could simply ask him to open his shirt.

So, in literally every other scenario regarding life, pick Meow. As a boss, pick the path of least resistance to your own brilliance (or lack thereof).

:slug:

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:41 am

Meow is a goalie. Goalies are egotistical, narcissistic sociopaths that overvalue their role in the success of the team while downplaying any fault in the failures. They are superstitious beings that value mysticism over preparation. They require constant validation of their efforts, regardless of merit. And Meow's small hands likely would result in an overcompensation in areas where he could wield authoritative power. He'd be a nightmare to work for.

MiMH, on the other hand, is like a puppy...like a little Siberian Husky puppy. Sure, he makes a lot of noise, but most of it is just nonsensical sounds. He (obviously) doesn't require any type of meaning outside validation for his daily routine, other than the occasion pat on the head. He's moldable, like play-doh but with less interesting colors. Plus, if he ever questioned your judgement regarding an important decision, you could simply ask him to open his shirt.

So, in literally every other scenario regarding life, pick Meow. As a boss, pick the path of least resistance to your own brilliance (or lack thereof).

This is the sort of response I was hoping for.

LeopardLetang

Postby LeopardLetang » Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:18 pm

I also don't want to work for someone who volunteers to strangers that their nickname is Weenie.
I've worked with a guy who's nickname is weiner for 10 years now which always seemed embarrassing. But I think I saw something the other day which has me questioning if that was a knock on him. I also found out a few days later that he also has the nickname pu##y which now that i think about it might not have been slander either

MR25

Postby MR25 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 12:32 pm

I also don't want to work for someone who volunteers to strangers that their nickname is Weenie.
I've worked with a guy who's nickname is weiner for 10 years now which always seemed embarrassing. But I think I saw something the other day which has me questioning if that was a knock on him. I also found out a few days later that he also has the nickname pu##y which now that i think about it might not have been slander either

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:01 pm

Seems like we have a real Dr. Cox vs. Michael Scott situation on our hands.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:07 pm

Dr. Cox always taught lesson even though they were hard. Michael Scott fumbled his way around and things just worked out because he had competent employees and he cared just not about the boss side of things.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:05 pm

Post of the year right here.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:11 pm

I'm not saying you're "wrong" because it's subjective and of course you're entitled to your opinion but I think the context of it is different

I didn't volunteer to strangers (also strangers?? I thought we were friends :cry: ) that my college rugby nickname was Weenie because I thought it was a cool nickname or I was proud of it necessarily. The reason they gave me the nickname was because I had refused to participate in their hazing (which I knew one part was you had to do a kegstand while they shot bb guns at your bare ass). Frankly I was never interested in joining a frat and the concept of initiations/hazing was always detestable to me. So they gave me that nickname. But also, I loved playing rugby and while I wasn't a starter I was effectively captain of the second string players and I could tell my teammates appreciated my play on the field (I'm like a NFL RB...short and low center of gravity so I can make and break tackles against most anybody). I'm not saying that to gloat or anything but being honest

ultimately that's a great descriptor of my management style too. I don't buy into the bullshit. I was a software engineer for 7 years so I really know how to empathize with my reports (and I hope I never lose that understanding) and if you were to ask me if I cared more about the company or my reports I would say undoubtedly my reports (not sure if that's unpopular or not but I like saying it because it's true).

also
I much as I would enjoy my boss completely ignoring c-suite directives I had to go with meow.
is a mischaracterization. I don't ignore c-suite directives (well, I ignore them if they're dumb and if I know I can get away with ignoring them). I know meow and I had a back and forth before about a CEO or someone in the exec group defining delivery timelines. In a healthy product development company, timelines need to be a collaboration between the business, leadership and the dev team and if the dev team, who is closest to the work because they are literally writing and testing the product, disagrees with the timeline that leadership sets out for them then that will be an awful, chaotic and ultimately pissed off working environment

personally when I think of a manager that I want managing me I want someone who will go to bat for me and who knows how to challenge me/knows what I want to do in long term in my career and helps me get experience with that stuff. So that's the type of manager I try to be. And while I am a bit of a caricature on this site yall dickweeds know I'm not afraid to come out with an unpopular opinion

I am imperfect though. My biggest weakness is that I'm disorganized and can forget things. I am incorporating a process to record personal notes/reminders now though

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:16 pm

It's like an entry into the "explain these poll results in 500 words or less" sweepstakes.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:19 pm

If you don't like directives you better be very organized imo

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:24 pm

we all also work in different industries so it's hard to compare. I'm sure some of you accounting losers would love meow's fun team where he demands that you turn on your camera and pick up your laptop to show your dog for 3 seconds

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:26 pm

captain of the second string players....I'm like a NFL RB
Clearly

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:32 pm

I'm like if Darren Sproles was white and ran a 6+ 40

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:27 pm

I'm not saying you're "wrong" because it's subjective and of course you're entitled to your opinion but I think the context of it is different

I didn't volunteer to strangers (also strangers?? I thought we were friends :cry: ) that my college rugby nickname was Weenie because I thought it was a cool nickname or I was proud of it necessarily. The reason they gave me the nickname was because I had refused to participate in their hazing (which I knew one part was you had to do a kegstand while they shot bb guns at your bare ass). Frankly I was never interested in joining a frat and the concept of initiations/hazing was always detestable to me. So they gave me that nickname. But also, I loved playing rugby and while I wasn't a starter I was effectively captain of the second string players and I could tell my teammates appreciated my play on the field (I'm like a NFL RB...short and low center of gravity so I can make and break tackles against most anybody). I'm not saying that to gloat or anything but being honest

ultimately that's a great descriptor of my management style too. I don't buy into the bullshit. I was a software engineer for 7 years so I really know how to empathize with my reports (and I hope I never lose that understanding) and if you were to ask me if I cared more about the company or my reports I would say undoubtedly my reports (not sure if that's unpopular or not but I like saying it because it's true).

also
I much as I would enjoy my boss completely ignoring c-suite directives I had to go with meow.
is a mischaracterization. I don't ignore c-suite directives (well, I ignore them if they're dumb and if I know I can get away with ignoring them). I know meow and I had a back and forth before about a CEO or someone in the exec group defining delivery timelines. In a healthy product development company, timelines need to be a collaboration between the business, leadership and the dev team and if the dev team, who is closest to the work because they are literally writing and testing the product, disagrees with the timeline that leadership sets out for them then that will be an awful, chaotic and ultimately pissed off working environment

personally when I think of a manager that I want managing me I want someone who will go to bat for me and who knows how to challenge me/knows what I want to do in long term in my career and helps me get experience with that stuff. So that's the type of manager I try to be. And while I am a bit of a caricature on this site yall dickweeds know I'm not afraid to come out with an unpopular opinion

I am imperfect though. My biggest weakness is that I'm disorganized and can forget things. I am incorporating a process to record personal notes/reminders now though
This sounds like you are running for 8th grade class president

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:41 pm

In the spirit of ignoring directives I skipped those long posts.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:10 pm

Which one would force everyone to work full-time in the office?

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:17 pm

Not only wouldn’t I force you work in the office, I wouldn’t force you to work at all

free money for everyone!

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:18 pm

I have to bribe my way out of this bullshit poll

MTOP is better and you know it

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:20 pm

Not only wouldn’t I force you work in the office, I wouldn’t force you to work at all

free money for everyone!

You've done well.

The clique has their marching orders.

genoscoif

Postby genoscoif » Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:00 am

also

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:58 am

Allow me to sing you the song of my people

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:13 am

Please don't get a guitar out.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:02 pm

rigged election