Randomness Dos

slappybrown

Randomness Dos

Postby slappybrown » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:26 pm

Malcolm Gladwell is a clown

blackjack68

Randomness Dos

Postby blackjack68 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:28 pm

I may be the only person I know who doesn't have a birthday in this two week block in January.
Mine was last Wednesday.
Ditto.
And I have a good friend and two co-workers on the 13ths as well.

What a coicindence.

eddy

Randomness Dos

Postby eddy » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:35 pm

Do you get a noticeable difference removing it?
I actually had an old showerhead that was so wide open that I had to put the restrictor back in. Also, some faucets actually incorporate the washer into the flow restrictor, so removing them causes leaks (you can always just punch out the mesh grid in that case, though).
I had an amazing shower head that the wife dubbed skin ripper. After 10 years of complaining, I finally figured I'd help her out and get a new showerhead. The new one arrived and to my surprise it's the size of a dinner plate. It has detailed instructions (take screwdriver and rip out) on how to remove the restricter so I figured its fine to do, just wondered how much of a difference it would make. I do enjoy the wide coverage of the new one, but because it's so big, I feel like pressure is low due to all the holes. Hoping this solves things.

shmenguin

Randomness Dos

Postby shmenguin » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:57 pm

Malcolm Gladwell is a clown
the only stuff i know about him is from his podcast with bill simmons a little while ago.

he was confused why a billionaire who buys a football team wouldn't build a stadium with their own money - when the state is offering to do it for free. like...he seriously didn't understand the concept of not spending hundreds of millions of dollars when you don't have to.

clown. yes.

Jofa Guy

Randomness Dos

Postby Jofa Guy » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:07 pm

Getting 4 new tires for my 2011 Chevy Cruze at discount tire. 'Twas about $500 but it was a full warranty. Tires online price was $72x4=$288 before tax, labor, and warranty.

Do yinz get the warranty with tires? I've always been skeptical about warranties but tires might be a different thing

NTP66

Randomness Dos

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:08 pm

Nope, never. Nor do I ever buy them at a retail location, unless Walmart manages to massively undercut online vendors (happened once).

eddy

Randomness Dos

Postby eddy » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:11 pm

Getting 4 new tires for my 2011 Chevy Cruze at discount tire. 'Twas about $500 but it was a full warranty. Tires online price was $72x4=$288 before tax, labor, and warranty.

Do yinz get the warranty with tires? I've always been skeptical about warranties but tires might be a different thing
for those warranties to work, you need to have records of the tires being rotated and aligned according to their guidelines. It's a pain in the ass.

dodint

Randomness Dos

Postby dodint » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:16 pm

Source of the post for those warranties to work, you need to have records of the tires being rotated and aligned according to their guidelines. It's a pain in the ass.
Yup, and the warranty is heavily prorated. The one time I got it to work I received like 20% of the purchase price and that was after only like 7000 miles.

Jofa Guy

Randomness Dos

Postby Jofa Guy » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:29 pm

According to their online policy they won't prorate. It probably will end up being a waste but if my tire messes up and I can get a replacement for free it'd be worth it. I should have known I work at a furniture warranty company haha

dodint

Randomness Dos

Postby dodint » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:30 pm

You're not a server anymore?

Willie Kool

Randomness Dos

Postby Willie Kool » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:47 pm

Do you get a noticeable difference removing it?
I actually had an old showerhead that was so wide open that I had to put the restrictor back in. Also, some faucets actually incorporate the washer into the flow restrictor, so removing them causes leaks (you can always just punch out the mesh grid in that case, though).
I had an amazing shower head that the wife dubbed skin ripper. After 10 years of complaining, I finally figured I'd help her out and get a new showerhead. The new one arrived and to my surprise it's the size of a dinner plate. It has detailed instructions (take screwdriver and rip out) on how to remove the restricter so I figured its fine to do, just wondered how much of a difference it would make. I do enjoy the wide coverage of the new one, but because it's so big, I feel like pressure is low due to all the holes. Hoping this solves things.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMITcQUe-9M

Jofa Guy

Randomness Dos

Postby Jofa Guy » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:54 pm

You're not a server anymore?
Nope, after 6 years or the service industry I finally got a desk job. Sitting sucks

dodint

Randomness Dos

Postby dodint » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:56 pm

Yeah, but not pandering to customers (as much) is nice.

Jofa Guy

Randomness Dos

Postby Jofa Guy » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:01 pm

Absolutely, at least I have a job which always good. I definitely don't miss the low income nights on "busy" days

Pavement

Randomness Dos

Postby Pavement » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:00 pm

North Korea Invents 'Hangover-Free' Booze
http://news.sky.com/story/1625668/north ... free-booze

Thank you North Korea! :lol:

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Randomness Dos

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:04 pm

who knew NK already took over SK?

mikey

Randomness Dos

Postby mikey » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:53 am

Interviewer: Why do you think you would be a good fit for the company? (very first question of the interview)
Interviewee: ...I, umm, I'm sorry..........what, I, uh, did I apply for here?

columbia

Randomness Dos

Postby columbia » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:03 pm

TIL that Digg still exists.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Randomness Dos

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:35 pm

ok, can someone explain to me in simple, "I don't know **** about taxes" terms why tax returns are a thing?

I live a simple life. I don't have any dependents and other than "interest paid on federal student loans" I don't have have any tax write offs or whatever. But every year when I file my taxes, I get money back and I can't figure out why. Is it just that all of my companies are bad at estimating how much I pay in taxes each month?

skullman80

Randomness Dos

Postby skullman80 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:44 pm

ok, can someone explain to me in simple, "I don't know **** about taxes" terms why tax returns are a thing?

I live a simple life. I don't have any dependents and other than "interest paid on federal student loans" I don't have have any tax write offs or whatever. But every year when I file my taxes, I get money back and I can't figure out why. Is it just that all of my companies are bad at estimating how much I pay in taxes each month?
You have your withholding allowance not right on your W4.

It comes down to do you want to give the interest free loan to the gov't and get money back(that was really already yours) around tax time, or do you want to get more in your paycheck each time and get little or no money back on your return.

I take the money back around tax time, even though I know I should do it the other way just because that is how i have always done it.

Troy Loney

Randomness Dos

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:45 pm

The company takes out a percentage based on an estimated tax rate. They aren't going to make assumptions about your deductions, if your numbers are off, you can contact them about withholding less.

columbia

Randomness Dos

Postby columbia » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:48 pm

Why aren't you contributing to an IRA? That's $5500 lopped right off the top of your income (tax wise).

MrKennethTKangaroo

Randomness Dos

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:50 pm

Why aren't you contributing to an IRA?
As this gentleman pointing out in another thread, MIMH is a moron.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Randomness Dos

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:51 pm

Why aren't you contributing to an IRA? That's $5500 lopped right off the top of your income (tax wise).
because I have no idea what I'm doing in terms of finance

I should really read a book on this. Any suggestions from anyone?

columbia

Randomness Dos

Postby columbia » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:00 pm

because I have no idea what I'm doing in terms of finance

I should really read a book on this. Any suggestions from anyone?