Randomness Dos

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Randomness Dos

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:01 pm

I could be wrong, but I feel like oranges have the highest sugar content of all fruits. I try to stay away from them

not to mention that peeling an orange is a dodint compared to eating any other fruit

shmenguin

Randomness Dos

Postby shmenguin » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:02 pm

Hasn't it been shown that there isn't any health detriments to eating GMO food?
Correct.

No science to show it is bad for you.

But, I'll strap in now and let the hippies have their say.
The science is inconclusive. It doesn't say it's bad for you. It doesn't say it's not bad for you.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Randomness Dos

Postby meow » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:03 pm

I could be wrong, but I feel like oranges have the highest sugar content of all fruits. I try to stay away from them

not to mention that peeling an orange is a dodint compared to eating any other fruit
You are wrong

mikey

Randomness Dos

Postby mikey » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:04 pm

Meow mentioned avocados, good catch. I love avocados.
Yeah, I have very recently (last year or so) started incorporating avocado into my life...in moderation, because I feel like I could get sick of them very easily...any tips for storing an "open" one? You think lemon juice would prevent it from turning brown-ish so quickly...?

- Pomegranates are something I actually don't quite understand. My only passing experience with them is when I made myself some grenadine - but even then I bought 100% pomegranate juice, not a raw pomegranate because: see first sentence. I don't get what to eat, I don't get what to look for in them. I don't get how to open them. I have no raw pomegranate experience.

- Kale was something I introduced to my diet, but it's just too tough to eat really. I re-replaced it with spinach. Broccoli is something I regularly eat, but could incorporate it more certainly. Cauliflower is not something I know too much about...I've had it from frozen before, but have never bought one fresh...prepared in the same way as broccoli? (note: my kitchen expertise is limited.)

- Okra is tough to find, but when I find it I do use it. Much easier to find pickled for me and quite enjoyable. I don't do so well with peas and corn. Asparagus is something I like to incorporate...like broccoli, I probably don't eat it as much as I could or should...

- Cherries are really that good, huh? I don't recall ever reading about cherries being like a super health food...interesting if true...I would buy cherries...

Lots of good feedback, thanks...I'm gonna stop at the produce place on my way home and this is a good way to spark some ideas and stock up on some things...

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Randomness Dos

Postby count2infinity » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:05 pm

GMOs have far too broad of a definition to say "they are bad for you" or "they aren't bad for you".

Lemon Berry Lobster

Randomness Dos

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:08 pm

Meow mentioned avocados, good catch. I love avocados.
Yeah, I have very recently (last year or so) started incorporating avocado into my life...in moderation, because I feel like I could get sick of them very easily...any tips for storing an "open" one? You think lemon juice would prevent it from turning brown-ish so quickly...?
Usually some lime juice will help, can't see why lemon would be much different. Also keep the pit in with the avocado, the Mexicans I have worked with in the past said to keep it in with the guacamole to keep it from going brown.

dodint

Randomness Dos

Postby dodint » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:09 pm

Source of the post not to mention that peeling an orange is a dodint compared to eating any other fruit
Truth. I love me an orange, but I'll be damned if I'm going to peel one. Who has time for that?

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Randomness Dos

Postby meow » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:11 pm

I used to drink cherry juice after games. It really cuts down on the next day soreness. Cherry juice + ice bath = no next day soreness. I have no idea how to save half an avocado. I usually eat half then make guac with the other half.

Also, I've heard people say cherries help them sleep. I have never had sleeping problems, so I can't attest to that.

shafnutz05

Randomness Dos

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:17 pm

I'm all for common sense healthy eating, but the GMO stuff is ridiculously overblown.

tifosi77

Randomness Dos

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:26 pm

Also try to eat organic or Non-GMO. You don't need hormones or pesticides in your food.

There's still pesticides in organic food.

:o
Organic =/= pesticide-free. There are around two dozen different chemicals approved for use on organic crops, and the actual usage (by volume) does not have to be monitored or reported. Also, because the approved organic 'cides are less potent than synthetic, they have to use considerably more of the stuff to achieve the same results.

Even if it's labeled organic, pretty much anything you buy at a grocery store (including Whole Foods) is still the result of industrial/factory farming. Farmers market, ftw.

tifosi77

Randomness Dos

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:27 pm

Also try to eat organic or Non-GMO. You don't need hormones or pesticides in your food.
:thumb:

We don't go crazy making sure everything is organic or GMO free. We stick to these yearly lists when we can.
Yeah, it's hard to stay strictly organic/non-GMO. But as far as the dirty dozen go, I stick to it.
Pro-tip: everything you eat is GMO
Humans have been genetically modifying food crops for millennia before the phrase 'genetically modified' even existed as a thing.

mikey

Randomness Dos

Postby mikey » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:29 pm

Thanks for the tip, LBL... :thumb:

And I also normally eat all of an avocado in one sitting (get some pumpernickel bread, lightly toasted, put some guac on it and then a piece of sausage or sardines or something...nice snack)...but I would like to have the ability to preserve it if I can...

I am not a very good sleeper usually...so I'll see if I can attest to it...

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Randomness Dos

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:30 pm

I'm only a bad sleeper on Sunday nights because I spend Friday and Saturday nights not sleeping

#collegemode

shmenguin.gif

f*ck you guys

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Randomness Dos

Postby count2infinity » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:31 pm

Humans have been genetically modifying food crops for millennia before the phrase 'genetically modified' even existed as a thing.
That's one of the reasons I say "Gmo" is far too broad of a definition. Selective breeding vs. put a plant/animal under abnormal amounts of radioactivity to promote mutation in hopes of finding a good one vs. literally going in and re-coding the genetic sequences are very very different from one another and should not all be classified under the same sweeping definition.

PFiDC

Randomness Dos

Postby PFiDC » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:40 pm

That's one of the reasons I say "Gmo" is far too broad of a definition. Selective breeding vs. put a plant/animal under abnormal amounts of radioactivity to promote mutation in hopes of finding a good one vs. literally going in and re-coding the genetic sequences are very very different from one another and should not all be classified under the same sweeping definition.
I would venture a guess that very few people consider the first option, selective breeding, as GMO.

Also, human insulin is a GMO.

count2infinity

Randomness Dos

Postby count2infinity » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:42 pm

I would venture a guess that very few people consider the first option, selective breeding, as GMO.

Also, human insulin is a GMO.
It's usually the first argument that pro-GMO people put forward.

Algernon

Randomness Dos

Postby Algernon » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:56 pm

*puts on tinfoil hat*
That's what the man wants you to think

This. Keep bowing to Monsanto.

@mikey
I don't eat fruit except avocados

Fructose is the devil

I do eat a lot of veggies tho, tons of white and red potato spinach , peppers,

Veggies are pretty useless Tbh,

I eat so much grass Fed organ meats, I just ate lamb kidney for breakfast, and I had beef heart 2 nights ago.... That's were I get all my micronutrients

Algernon

Randomness Dos

Postby Algernon » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:57 pm

Discussing diet is like discussing politics or religion, everyone thinks they have the answer

columbia

Randomness Dos

Postby columbia » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:00 pm

We need to move back to Lamarckism. :pop:

PFiDC

Randomness Dos

Postby PFiDC » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:00 pm

*puts on tinfoil hat*

@mikey

Fructose is the devil

I eat so much grass Fed organ meats, I just ate lamb kidney for breakfast, and I had beef heart 2 nights ago.... That's were I get all my micronutrients
No fruit. Veggies are useless.

Is this a recommendation for someone who takes a ton of supplements or is this a suggestion for everyone?

grunthy

Randomness Dos

Postby grunthy » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:04 pm

Humans have been eating grains for like 100k years. Seems to have worked just fine until now...

Algernon

Randomness Dos

Postby Algernon » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:05 pm

*puts on tinfoil hat*

@mikey

Fructose is the devil

No fruit. Veggies are useless.

Is this a recommendation for someone who takes a ton of supplements or is this a suggestion for everyone?
http://www.gnolls.org/

That's my bible

Inb4 "oh paleo pfft"

tifosi77

Randomness Dos

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:05 pm

Discussing diet is like discussing politics or religion, everyone thinks they have the answer
I had wanted to quote your original response here, but you edited it. So when the quote page loaded and I saw this, I was like "whaaaaaaaat is going on here".

NAN

Randomness Dos

Postby NAN » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:06 pm

My favorites are:

Fruit:

Watermelon
Grapes
Apples
Oranges

Veggies:

Broccoli
Asparagus
Sweet potatoes
No one asked for your favorites, I asked for most healthiest. So you and your watermelon can go kick rocks...ya jerk...
http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=31

New studies shows watermelon is a kick ass fruit, so suck it.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Randomness Dos

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:06 pm

When I was at Giant Eagle over the weekend I saw a labels around all of the bacon that said, "Gluten Free", and I thought to myself no ****.