Everything golf

MrKennethTKangaroo

Everything golf

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:26 am

I heard that DA points was going to put all of his winnings into FUBO but alas he did not make the cut

dodint

Everything golf

Postby dodint » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:10 am

My Veterans Tour added a bunch of western PA dates.

June 19th Latrobe Elks*
June 20th Totteridge*
Aug 14th Champion Lakes*
Aug 15th Ligonier CC*
Aug 21st Fort Cherry
Aug 22nd Whispering Woods
Sept 12th Hill Crest CC*
Sept 13th Westmoreland CC*
Oct 2nd Lenape*
Oct 3rd Birdsfoot*

I'll likely do the ones with the *. I've never heard of Lenape or Birdsfoot, both out near Ford City.

I've got a bit of a lull in my racing season coming up, so I hope to spend that time working on my golf game. I found a really great online resource that is helping my understanding a lot, and I'm hoping to get linked up with an instructor here shortly.

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:18 am

good stuff!

also we need a @dodinttracker twitter account to follow these tournaments

dodint

Everything golf

Postby dodint » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:19 am

Nah, bruh. It's ugly. I shot a 112 and finished DFL in my first one. :lol:

I use The Grint for scorekeeping, etc. I get a notification every time MR25 gets a birdie, so I have that going for me.
Last edited by dodint on Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

King Colby

Everything golf

Postby King Colby » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:19 am

I'm told birdsfoot is pretty great. I think MR25 has discussed it here before too

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:23 am

only up from here

King Colby

Everything golf

Postby King Colby » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:24 am

I finally took a lesson from a local head club pro. One hour of 8 irons taught me how to hit golf balls again. And I told him to start from scratch and pretend it was the first time I ever picked up a golf club.

Why did I not do this years ago?

Going to keep going every other week for the rest of the summer.

dodint

Everything golf

Postby dodint » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:31 am

That's my plan, too. A recurring lesson every two weeks until the season is over.

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:38 am

i started last fall and pretty much am just mad that i didn't earlier. I go every month or two now.. i figure for as much as I play I may as well try to be better to enjoy it the most I can. it's $60 every month or two, that's basically a round. very glad I've been going, it's helped a lot

MR25

Everything golf

Postby MR25 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:43 am

Nah, bruh. It's ugly. I shot a 112 and finished DFL in my first one. :lol:

I use The Grint for scorekeeping, etc. I get a notification every time MR25 gets a birdie, so I have that going for me.

It does notifications weird. If you go to enter whether or not your tee shot hit the fairway, it'll treat it as if you finished the hole.

I think I only made one last week.

MR25

Everything golf

Postby MR25 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:44 am

I'm told birdsfoot is pretty great. I think MR25 has discussed it here before too

It might have been Kenny or DD, as I've never played it.

Dickie Dunn

Everything golf

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:03 am

I’ve never played it but my buddy who lives closer plays it all the time and raves about it.

Troy Loney

Everything golf

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:05 am

Birdsfoot is probably me, I played it in April, and then again for a scramble in May. Playing it again on Saturday. Out of the nicer courses I've played in Pittsburgh (Totteridge and Madison Club), I put it just below Totteridge, and that's only because I hate golf holes with approach shots that are blind because the green is up a hill and you can't see how much space you have between the green / flag and the crest of the hill. And there are two of those at Birdsfoot.

I agree with the recurring lessons. My backswing started going too far out to in, which was working really well for my iron shots, was just putting a little fade instead of a draw. But then it completed f'd my driver and I started pushing everything right. I think I might have got the angles back on my back nine Saturday. Point being, I think when one thing starts working really well and as an amateur, you start making a subtle adjustment, that has the opportunity to knock other aspects of your swing out of whack. In my case, I have a bit of a natural draw with my driver that I sabotaged by adjusting my backswing to align with something I was doing to straighten out my iron shots. If I wasn't playing all the time right now, I wouldn't be able to give myself a chance to self-correct.

dodint

Everything golf

Postby dodint » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:14 am

Good to know about Birdsfoot. The cool thing about this tour is it takes me to some courses that never would've been on my RADAR. :thumb:

shoeshine boy

Everything golf

Postby shoeshine boy » Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:35 pm

for those of you have have been to PGA and LPGA events, especially @Orlando Penguin, we have tickets to the KPMG Women's PGA Championship next week. we've never been to a professional golf tourney before. is it better to follow one group? hang around a couple of holes? wander around aimlessly?

MrKennethTKangaroo

Everything golf

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:12 pm

i played Lenape heights once and that was enough. Plus, Paul zeise is doing ads for them now, which speaks volumes about their business decisions.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Everything golf

Postby iamjs » Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:10 pm

I thought Lenape was a decent enough place that I would go back. From what I remember, the course seemed to be in decent enough shape and I don't remember getting bombed by incoming shots from other fairways. Then again I haven't been there in 3-4 years, so maybe it has changed.

I'm sure grabbing a tee time off GolfNow for well under the typical rate is swaying my opinion too.

dodint

Everything golf

Postby dodint » Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:20 pm

Yeah, Lenape is $30 (cart and usually some range balls) and Birdsfoot is $39. Cost isn't the issue.

Orlando Penguin

Everything golf

Postby Orlando Penguin » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:39 pm

for those of you have have been to PGA and LPGA events, especially @Orlando Penguin, we have tickets to the KPMG Women's PGA Championship next week. we've never been to a professional golf tourney before. is it better to follow one group? hang around a couple of holes? wander around aimlessly?
The best part is you can do all 3 of those and still get a full experience. How many days are you going? If it's more than one, then you can really play a lot of strategies. I don't remember much about AAC to know how easy it is to get around and if you can see more than one hole from different vantage points. I guess that will be what my strategy will be on Tuesday when I first get to the course -- drive the course and see what it's like. So yeah, I'll be there and it will likely not be difficult to find me because I have a feeling that Thursday/Friday, I will be all over that course in the afternoon once the coverage goes off the air.

shoeshine boy

Everything golf

Postby shoeshine boy » Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:31 am

The best part is you can do all 3 of those and still get a full experience. How many days are you going? If it's more than one, then you can really play a lot of strategies. I don't remember much about AAC to know how easy it is to get around and if you can see more than one hole from different vantage points. I guess that will be what my strategy will be on Tuesday when I first get to the course -- drive the course and see what it's like. So yeah, I'll be there and it will likely not be difficult to find me because I have a feeling that Thursday/Friday, I will be all over that course in the afternoon once the coverage goes off the air.
pretty sure Thursday is our chosen day. good excuse to play hooky from work and likely the least crowded. one local tip for you: if you like Szechuan, Masterpiece is about 10-15 minutes north of AAC. I highly recommend it. https://www.masterpiecejohnscreek.com/r ... pageType=D

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Everything golf

Postby LITT » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:03 am

i love birds foot. probably my favorite course 'around'. its a whole day affair though since you are usually looking at 5 hour round and a 2 hour round trip drive. its quiet, beautiful, challenging. usually maintained really well. and if you are these first thing in the AM they play the bagpiipes.

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:12 am

MrKennethTKangaroo

Everything golf

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:27 am

I do enjoy this feud but that is a kind of a dick move by the USGA to pair those two in a us open. It is a major freaking championship, they dont need WWE sideshows

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Everything golf

Postby LITT » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:38 am

i dont like it.

i love it.

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:56 am

I do enjoy this feud but that is a kind of a dick move by the USGA to pair those two in a us open. It is a major freaking championship, they dont need WWE sideshows
The US Open pairings have no format or tradition to respect, and are only created for fan interest/storylines. If they can't play 2 rounds of golf together then they are mental midgets.