Everything golf

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri May 08, 2015 10:44 pm

Another day in the books at TPC...

1. Jason Day shoots a 69 to get in contention on Thursday, and promptly shoots an 81 on Friday. Wow.

1a. Snedeker also shoots a 69 on Thursday, only to follow it with a 78 on Friday. A lot of bigger names having bad weeks.

2. Jonas Blixt's drive and then driver disposal into the water...lulz

3. The top part of the leaderboard is a who's who of general no-names (at least outside the golf community).

4. Will Furyk win that elusive Player's Championship?
no

Orlando Penguin

Everything golf

Postby Orlando Penguin » Fri May 08, 2015 11:03 pm

Once I got done with work this morning, I pretty much slept thru or packed up thru the afternoon coverage. That being said, my impressions of what I saw...

--If Sergio could putt, he'd be leading this thing right now. Missed at least 3 putts inside 4 1/2 feet today. Had to switch to the claw grip late in his round and that didn't work either.

--I hope Furyk doesn't win this week simply because I want to pick him in my one-and-done next week. However, if he keeps plodding his way along like he has the first two rounds, he'll be in great shape. That win at Hilton Head I think dashed a lot of those demons he had dancing in his head since the beginning of 2011.

--Looking forward to the number of times we and NBC show Kevin Na have issues taking his club back from a couple years ago when he was leading the Players.

--Can't wait to see Tiger's drive at 1 tomorrow. Less than even money it's in the left trees again. He'll plod it around, shoot his 71, be happy with the reps he's getting and move on to Sunday.

--Don't sleep on Branden Grace. He's been like a little volcano spewing his ash on the European Tour the last couple of years and he's been just looking for his breakthrough in America. He's a pretty good player and this could be his week to become that next South African.

--The part I find fun about Sawgrass (not when I've played it, though) is that if your game is off just a teensy-weensy bit, it'll punish you like you just robbed 15 banks. No one is immune at that place and it's fascinating to watch.

Staggy

Everything golf

Postby Staggy » Sat May 09, 2015 12:24 am

Got invited to do a charity event next month a work. I've never played a 4 ball scramble. Sounds like a great way to hide the fact I haven't golfed in two years.

Scrambles are perfect for those who don't get to play all that much. If you want to be a real team MVP, work on your putting. That's where scrambles are always won because you're gonna have 3 other people in your group who can cover for your poor shots off the tee and in the fairway.
I agree but realistically, charity scrambles are won by whichever group has the greatest combination of skill and willingness to cheat. I just enter scrambles so I can have fun with my friends and crush some beer, no point playing to win when some group of 10 handicappers is gonna come in at 17 under.

dodint

Everything golf

Postby dodint » Sat May 09, 2015 12:29 am

Oh, yeah, for sure. I'm just going to see my co-workers as something other than cube dwelling drones.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Everything golf

Postby count2infinity » Sat May 09, 2015 8:08 am

Scrambles are a lot of fun. I find them to be less fun when you actually have a team capable of winning the tourny because things get too serious.

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat May 09, 2015 7:57 pm

Looking at the leaderboard after being out all day. Who in the hell are these people? I watch golf somewhat regularly and the top of the leaderboard is a who's who of nobodies. Which could make for a cool Sunday

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Everything golf

Postby count2infinity » Sat May 09, 2015 8:03 pm

Yeah... I mean, Haas, Na, Garcia, Ishikawa, Horschel, and Fowler are familiar names, but the rest, pshhh, no clue.

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat May 09, 2015 8:38 pm

Yeah some notable names scattered on there. I' think I'm pulling for Kevin Kisner

Orlando Penguin

Everything golf

Postby Orlando Penguin » Sat May 09, 2015 10:06 pm

This entire tournament has felt like a race at Daytona or Talladega -- all bunched up with the chance of some crazy crashes on the last couple of laps. I'm still pulling for Sergio and he's the most experienced winner of anyone in the top 16. However, Rory and Scott are only 4 back and if Rory could ever tame that front 9 at Sawgrass, he might post a 65 on the board and watch everyone flop like fish coming in.

The one guy who CANNOT win -- Justin Thomas. He's kinda Jordan Spieth 2.0. The kid's gonna win sometime soon but hopefully not until October because I have a bet with an on-air analyst that he won't win this season. He likely blew his stack with that round today.

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun May 10, 2015 8:20 pm

What a tournament.

count2infinity

Everything golf

Postby count2infinity » Sun May 10, 2015 8:22 pm

Rickie Fowler... most overrated player as picked by the tour players wins. So good.

Orlando Penguin

Everything golf

Postby Orlando Penguin » Sun May 10, 2015 8:56 pm

Didn't matter who the names were on the board, that was above first-class golf today. With the way Fowler played 17 & 18 this week, he more than deserved to win it. 5 birdies in 6 tries at 17? Are you nuts?? 330+ yard drives twice on 18 on Sunday in that pressure cooker?? Ridiculous. He's a great kid and just hasn't been able to put it together to get all the wins that have matched all of the attention he gets but the two playoff wins he has are over Rory & Sergio and on major courses Quail Hollow and Sawgrass. Epic stuff.

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun May 10, 2015 11:31 pm

Yeah, it's almost impossible to understate what Fowler did today. He was one OVER for his round before 13. Six under in his last six holes. Best four-hole finish in the history of the tournament. His ridiculous success on 17. Absolutely love seeing him win.

The overrated stuff is pure jealousy in terms of his marketing deals, no question. He finished top 5 in all four majors last year for crying out loud. That's probably the most enjoyable tournament I've ever watched.

count2infinity

Everything golf

Postby count2infinity » Mon May 11, 2015 8:00 am

Yeah, the two at the top were Fowler and Poulter. They are part of the bright colors, high amounts of sponsorships crew. But to say a dude that finished top 5 in every major last year is overrated? C'mon...

dodint

Everything golf

Postby dodint » Mon May 18, 2015 6:10 pm

Golf on Fox, with Joe Buck and Greg Norman. Terrible, right? Hopefully Buck finds his calling and leaves baseball and football.

columbia

Everything golf

Postby columbia » Mon May 25, 2015 7:50 am

Masters tickets sign up time is here....
https://tickets.masters.com/en_US/index.html

I went to a practice round the first year Bubba won, so (in the small chance that I get those again) I'll be willing to sell them here at cost. I'd have to think of an interesting contest to determine the lucky winner. :pop:

ExPatriatePen

Everything golf

Postby ExPatriatePen » Tue May 26, 2015 12:03 pm

This is old, but I just found it. It's awesome!

https://www.facebook.com/WildBunchRadio ... 996818178/

Dickie Dunn

Everything golf

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri May 29, 2015 12:25 pm

PGA TOUR Media ‏@PGATOURmedia
Due to unplayable fairway due to rain on #14 @attbyronnelson, the par-4 hole will play roughly at 100 yards in R2. Still a par-4. #PGATour
PGA TOUR Media ‏@PGATOURmedia
Official yardage for the par-4 14th hole during R2 @attbyronnelson is 104 yards. #PGATour
Where are these 104 yard par 4s when I'm golfing?

ExPatriatePen

Everything golf

Postby ExPatriatePen » Fri May 29, 2015 12:40 pm

OK, so I've only gone out on the links maybe 4-5 times in my entire life. (Excluding par three)

It's not that I don't like the sport, it's been fun every time I've tried it, but I always assumed that I would just frustrate myself if I couldn't play at least 3-4 a month. Maybe even 6-7 times a month to feel good about my "game".

I've always been able to avoid invitations to play. This new job, well, it certainly would be on my best interests to play with management and existing and prospective customers.

I'm fairly athletic, not in bad shape, and have the confidence that I'll do fine, especially if the outing is a "scramble".

My question for ya'll is what's your advice for getting started and not embarrassing myself right out of the gate? TIA

Dickie Dunn

Everything golf

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri May 29, 2015 1:21 pm

I'd say a month's worth of lessons followed by some time on the range immediately after the lesson to reinforce what you just went over. The driving range I worked at in high school would only give someone a single lesson per week so they could spend a week practicing the previous lesson before moving on to the next lesson. Four lessons won't turn you into a superstar, but it should hone some consistency into your irons and help you not slice every damn drive.

count2infinity

Everything golf

Postby count2infinity » Fri May 29, 2015 1:27 pm

Lessons for sure. What I spent years kind of figuring out on my own could have likely been fixed in a day with a short lesson from a pro. Beyond that it's just getting out there and doing it. It took me a while to not only find my swing but get it to where it's repeatable over and over and over.

Went out yesterday btw. Shot an 85. Was 10 over on the front, but finished up strong. Liked the way I was swinging the sticks toward the end of the round and my fairway woods have finally come around the the point where I'm getting good contact almost every time I play them.

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Fri May 29, 2015 1:37 pm

I joined a league this year, I've never done a league before. It's nice having a day set aside every week for golf instead of trying to get a foursome together whenever I wanna go.

Anyway we alternate front and back each week and it's match play based on handicap. We had to get three 9 hole rounds in first to establish our handicap. So far on the front I've gone 39-41-41-41-42-42 and the back I've been 48-49-51-54.

It's been interesting seeing my handicap go up a stroke everytime I play the back and then crush whoever I play on the front the next week :lol:

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Everything golf

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri May 29, 2015 1:49 pm

I joined a league this year, I've never done a league before. It's nice having a day set aside every week for golf instead of trying to get a foursome together whenever I wanna go.

Anyway we alternate front and back each week and it's match play based on handicap. We had to get three 9 hole rounds in first to establish our handicap. So far on the front I've gone 39-41-41-41-42-42 and the back I've been 48-49-51-54.

It's been interesting seeing my handicap go up a stroke everytime I play the back and then crush whoever I play on the front the next week :lol:
does the front have 104 yard par 4s?

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Fri May 29, 2015 1:51 pm

I wish

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Everything golf

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri May 29, 2015 1:56 pm

I'm thinking of joining a club when I move to Wilmington. $120 a month (a year contract though) for unlimited golf, tennis and pool.

I guess my only reservation is that I like playing different courses. But I would enjoy the tennis and pool.

There's a public course in Wilmington too for about $25 a round for residents, so if I don't get a membership I can go back and fourth between the public course and the course I'm considering getting a membership for, where it's $30 for 18 for a resident.

anyone have experience with memberships?