Everything golf

CBear3

Everything golf

Postby CBear3 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:10 pm

. Tonight we worked my hips into it and it feels so much better, very liberating.
TWSS

I’ve had a pair of my worst rounds in years on the heels a great one on a par 3 course. Short game was awful.

If my goal is bogey golf, I aim to be green (side) in regulation. Kept taking 3 or four from their routinely and it’s demoralizing.

dodint

Everything golf

Postby dodint » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:16 pm

Yeah, I leave a bit of my soul on course every round. Usually from about 80 yards out. Last night I hit a great tee shot and lost my ball in some really tall grass and brambles that were at the bottom of a steep hill to the green. About 60 yards to the pin but a steep climb to get there. Pulled out my sand wedge, 56 degrees because I wasn't sure the 60 could carry it. Took my swing, thinned it and fired it right into the brambles. :lol: Took another drop, same result, thinned it about two feet to the right of the first dropped ball. Christ. Third shot got me up there. I really loathe dropping strokes like that; I'm rarely mad at a miss that chews up yardage.

CBear3

Everything golf

Postby CBear3 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:22 pm

I hear ya. 9 times out of ten a mishit that is only a loss in yardage can be overcome by another decent shot.
A skull, flat out flub, or penalty just kills the hole.

I’ve been enjoying regripping my bag the past couples weeks. The Tour Velvets on my poor old G10s were starting to get furry.

dodint

Everything golf

Postby dodint » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:28 pm

Not sure if I mentioned it, but when I went to my club fitting my fitter noticed my large hands. Turns out I needed larger grips. I didn't redo the whole set because I'm getting rid of the irons this winter, but my three new clubs plus my existing Driver, 4w, and two hybrids all have a Tour Velvet Jumbo grips now. He said he almost never recommends it (Bryson Bros come in asking for them, regardless of hand size) but I can palm a basketball to it makes sense for me. Those grips are heaven and now my hybrids are actually functional. They're back in the bag (for now).

Troy Loney

Everything golf

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:57 pm

My issue is that there is never at least not one aspect of my game that is dreadful.

I can basically always count on my putting being bad, but I just switched to the reverse grip, and that is really helping to make sure the ball is going in the direction I am lining up on.

I was playing a natural draw for months, then all of a sudden I saw pushing everything right. Did some youtube research and identified an issue with my grip and added a wrist movement on the backswing that helps me keep the clubhead square. So, tee shots have been fixed for about a month.

Then, after that got resolved, I started shanking chips in this really terrible way, at first it seemed like one offs, but then I would do it once, and not be able to stop hitting chips in this absolutely embarrassing way. I still don't understand, but I would hit off the heel and shoot the ball right. Now, that would destroy holes.

But, last week at the driving range, I practiced chipping until i understood what the hell was going on. I am pretty sure I got some dumb notion in my head that for chipping, it was all a matter of the chest movement. I can't explain it, but then I started chipping / pitching with the lower body and stopped messing that up.

The outstanding issues that I can't seem to fix:
I can't hit a wood off the deck. I bought a Maverick 3 wood, looks like I wasted that money.
I can't figure out how to reduce height and run an iron shot. Every iron shot is 150 yards in the air and stops where i lands. It's of course good to have that in the bag, but when you need the running shot when you aren't maxing out the distance for the particular iron. I hit a 54 out of the rough once last round that was exactly what I wanted. But that was once, every other time, it's just landing dead at the front of the green
I will occasionally snap hook the driver, but that is almost exclusively from swinging too hard. So I feel like that is just muscle memory that I need to retain
Last edited by Troy Loney on Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dodint

Everything golf

Postby dodint » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:03 pm

I can sympathize with that sentiment. I think what keeps me so engaged is how much there is to learn, know, and master. Endless layers.

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:04 pm

Been working on that low flighted shot. Mostly from inside 100. But play it off the back foot, stance slightly open to the target, weight on the front foot and swing through it, finishing more low and left vs a high follow through. Key is turning the body vs diving forward on the downswing. Otherwise it's just a chunky mess

Troy Loney

Everything golf

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:16 pm

Been working on that low flighted shot. Mostly from inside 100. But play it off the back foot, stance slightly open to the target, weight on the front foot and swing through it, finishing more low and left vs a high follow through. Key is turning the body vs diving forward on the downswing. Otherwise it's just a chunky mess
What club do you use? I am guessing you can do like gap wedge through 60 degree for this?

But yeah, this sounds like skulled city for me to try and do this

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:20 pm

It took a few range sessions but I'm pretty good at it now. It's much more dependable than trying to hit a half wedge with a full follow through. I mostly use my 56 for it. That's between like 60-80 yards and then 80-100 I could use a 50 degree but I'm not as comfortable with that yet. It's a nice low pitch with a hop or two then it should spin and check up

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:24 pm

Here watch Paige. Should be more effective. Ignore the bad jokes though

Troy Loney

Everything golf

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:30 pm

not kidding about the banter...good god

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:05 am

not kidding about the banter...good god
A looooooot of thirsty bros follow her.

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:07 am

I couldn't recall what the name of the course was... if memory serves it was a pretty short course. Felt like I was hitting driver then chipping, driver then chipping. Which isn't a terrible thing ;)
You are correct. Another frustrating round. Pull a beautiful 150 yard 9 iron to the green, shank my following drive. And so forth.

To complicate matters... I've been noticing this vague pain around my elbow that is worse when I'm golfing/gripping a club. I'm really hoping I don't have tendinitis or something.

dodint

Everything golf

Postby dodint » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:00 am

I've been managing medial epicondylitis in my left arm for a few weeks now. I had one week where I practiced every day, including a 90-minute club benchmarking session where I hit about 150 times, and it's been inflamed ever since. I do some extra stretches and try to rest it when I can.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Everything golf

Postby count2infinity » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:31 am

So I went to the driving range again with my launch monitor app... I'm going to cancel my monthly subscription.

It does the job, so if you're just looking to hit a ball and it spits a number at you, then it works fine. Not every time, but enough that it'll give you a good idea of how far you're hitting it.

There are just too many things I don't like:

- You can't export the data anywhere... the data they show you is the data and that's it. No more, no less. The only way to get the data in a place that you can play around with it is to manually transfer it and ain't nobody got time for that.

- The launch monitor has "sessions" of 30 balls each session. Now maybe I'm just not using the app correctly, but when I go to change clubs, it starts a new session and my frustration is that it doesn't show you data by club, just by session. So let's say that I want to go and look at all my 7 iron stats... I can't. I would have to go to each individual "session" of the 7 iron and look at them individually and then I guess just remember the numbers and go look a the next 7 iron "session" to see if they're close? I don't know.

- The last thing is just the inconsistency, especially with driver and wedges. I was getting numbers all over the place... I mean, I'm watching where my ball hits. I can see the flags, I have a good idea and most of the time, it's close. But not always. I hit a huge duck hook that went 150 yards with my driver and the monitor said it was a 298 carry drive... :lol:

Oh well. Maybe it's time to put some watch alerts on a real monitor and buy it when it goes on sale.

dodint

Everything golf

Postby dodint » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:35 am

Interesting. I had some of the same complaints with the Garmin G80. Mainly the data export, it seemed like it wanted to basically be only a data display. The Garmin Approach R10 is coming and seems to fix all that. But, it's $600, so maybe something I look at next year.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Everything golf

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:34 am

- The last thing is just the inconsistency, especially with driver and wedges. I was getting numbers all over the place... I mean, I'm watching where my ball hits. I can see the flags, I have a good idea and most of the time, it's close. But not always. I hit a huge duck hook that went 150 yards with my driver and the monitor said it was a 298 carry drive... :lol:
just take the compliment broo

genoscoif

Everything golf

Postby genoscoif » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:16 am

I can sympathize with that sentiment. I think what keeps me so engaged is how much there is to learn, know, and master. Endless layers.
I just gotta say how much I love reading your posts in here dodint! It's also funny that I initially read 'engaged' as 'enraged' and it still made sense. :lol:

No matter your level, one of the most difficult aspects of golf for me has always been not getting discouraged. It can be frustrating to know what you're capable of (that one perfect shot per round that you referenced), but not being able to repeat that with each and every strike. It becomes a bit of a mind game...the ol' Nuke LaLoosh 'God, that was beautiful...what did I do?'

The best part is that one shot per round turns into 3 or 4...then 3 or 4 per nine...then one a hole. Then you notice the 8+ are gone from your scorecard. Bogey golf...which then shifts it to the 3 or 4 bad shots per round instead of the other way around.

Again, enjoying reading your journey, mate! Keep it up!

dodint

Everything golf

Postby dodint » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:23 am

Thanks!

I told my instructor last night that before I met him my good strikes were 2 out of every 10. Now I'm up to 4-6 out of every 10. I think if I could get to 8/10 I'd be pretty content. I'm not talking about well-placed shots, just good contact with the club head regardless of whether it pushes/pulls. I'm getting there. Part of the reason my scores are not coming down is that I'm hitting into hazards I couldn't reach before. :lol:

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Everything golf

Postby meow » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:37 am

It’s all in the hips

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:51 am

mrs meow should be a scratch golfer

meow

Everything golf

Postby meow » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:53 am

Hole in ones all over the place

dodint

Everything golf

Postby dodint » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:55 am

Holes in one.

(Right? @Shyster?)

meow

Everything golf

Postby meow » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:00 am

Holes in one all over the place

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Everything golf

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:22 am

to me, golf is fun regardless of how I play. I just like spending time on courses