Spieth is back

hopefully Oost wins one more or else his legacy will be more of a choker

Orlando Penguin

Everything golf

Postby Orlando Penguin » Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:49 pm

Morikawa is good

Spieth is back

Jack Nicklaus won 18 majors. He finished 2nd or 3rd in 28 others. Think he got called a choker? Winning majors is hard. Louis has 8 other podium finishes to go with his 2010 British Open win. That's not a choker. That's someone who steps up when the test is the hardest. It just happens that someone was better than he was on Sundays in some of those majors.

dodint

Everything golf

Postby dodint » Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:56 pm

If anyone wants to play a round in the next few weekends I'm pretty free. Playing 9s are fun but I need to get some full rounds in to see where things really are with my game. Send me a PM if you have any ideas; I'm happy to try somewhere new that's closer to the city or wherever.

Most of my golfing friends have kids and they're too hard to schedule with. One of them penciled me in for a date in August we might get to play if his wife allows. Penciled in for a future maybe. Feels good. :lol:

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Everything golf

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:22 pm

Morikawa is good

Spieth is back

Jack Nicklaus won 18 majors. He finished 2nd or 3rd in 28 others. Think he got called a choker? Winning majors is hard. Louis has 8 other podium finishes to go with his 2010 British Open win. That's not a choker. That's someone who steps up when the test is the hardest. It just happens that someone was better than he was on Sundays in some of those majors.
no, because he won 18

has any player in history lost back to back majors when they had a 54 hole lead?

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:33 pm

Tiger ruined us. Louis has had an incredible career. some unfortunate finishes but he's closer to one of our generations best than he is to being a choker.

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:33 pm

Morikawa is good

Spieth is back

no, because he won 18

has any player in history lost back to back majors when they had a 54 hole lead?
Outside of tiger how many have had back to back 54 hole leads at all?

Troy Loney

Everything golf

Postby Troy Loney » Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:36 pm

Chocking is what Dechambau did at the US open, Oosth just got beat by Morikawa playing a ridiculous final round.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Everything golf

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:54 pm

I love Louis. I picked him for the PGA and US Open. I just don’t know if you’re more confident or less confident after finishing majors like he’s done this year

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:47 pm

Morikawa ain’t wearing a major winning Sunday shirt

Orlando Penguin

Everything golf

Postby Orlando Penguin » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:23 am

Greg Norman - 1986 - held the 54-hole lead in ALL FOUR MAJORS. Dubbed the Saturday Slam. Didn’t win any.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Everything golf

Postby LITT » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:28 am

Morikawa ain’t wearing a major winning Sunday shirt
nsfw

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:33 am

lol

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:33 am

take my eyes but not the shirt

genoscoif

Everything golf

Postby genoscoif » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:21 am

Got to play Cranberry Highlands on Friday, and man what a nice course. Probably the best maintained public course I've been on in a looonnnggg while. Greens were almost perfect. It's not a long course at all, but you definitely need to hit it where you're aiming. After playing for the first time on Tuesday since pre-covid (at Pittsburgh North), it was a bit of a struggle on Friday. Still was able to cobble together an 89, which I was more than okay with.

It's really something else to play a course around here with basically no trees in play. Gives you a false sense of security, in a way...but that 'hay' off the rough is basically unplayable most of the time.

Will definitely be going back there if I can get a bit more dialed in. Driver was hot garbage, long irons were not much better. Short irons were inconsistent distance-wise...but I putted very well.

CBear3

Everything golf

Postby CBear3 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:26 am

Greg Norman - 1986 - held the 54-hole lead in ALL FOUR MAJORS. Dubbed the Saturday Slam. Didn’t win any.
Thanks for the reminder, I was a huge Shark fan growing up.

Orlando Penguin

Everything golf

Postby Orlando Penguin » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:27 am

Last to do it - Jason Day in 2015 US Open and British Open. He went on to win the PGA at Whistling Straits the next month.

King Colby

Everything golf

Postby King Colby » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:30 am

Needed a bogey on 18 to break 90 yesterday. Had nothing worse than a double all day.

Decided that was the correct time to score a 9.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Everything golf

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:35 am

Last to do it - Jason Day in 2015 US Open and British Open. He went on to win the PGA at Whistling Straits the next month.
man, forgot how good Day was in the mid-10s. he fell off a cliff

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Everything golf

Postby LITT » Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:29 am

cranberry highlands is too expensive. back in the day you could play 18 on the weekend for less than 50 bucks

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:45 am

I know we said the same thing about Rory, Spieth, etc., but man...Morikawa is built for major championships. And what's so refreshing is that he seems like a totally down to earth guy (despite the privileged upbringing I am sure he had). Great role model for younger golfers IMO.

On a related note, this was done during the Scottish. The European Tour social media content game is on point. I chortled when Stenson immediately smelled a rat. That dude could have been an intelligence operative in another life.

Troy Loney

Everything golf

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:04 pm

Got to play Cranberry Highlands on Friday, and man what a nice course. Probably the best maintained public course I've been on in a looonnnggg while. Greens were almost perfect. It's not a long course at all, but you definitely need to hit it where you're aiming. After playing for the first time on Tuesday since pre-covid (at Pittsburgh North), it was a bit of a struggle on Friday. Still was able to cobble together an 89, which I was more than okay with.
I played Pittsburgh North this weekend for basically the first time, played there as a kid, so 20+ years ago, so i didn't remember anything about it. And, it was one of those courses that is basically just 18 golf holes cut out of the woods. Luckily my driver was working, or I would have had a miserable morning. I think the only hole that really pissed me off was the one really short par 4 on the front, it was like 260 with a sharp dog leg right that is guarded by woods on all sides, so you have to hit it like 200 to the opening, but because pittsburgh, the fairway is slopped right so all balls feed to the bottom right of the fairway. But you have to be left because the green is guarded by the woods on the right so you can't get a shot at the pin. So essentially you have to be on the left or middle of the fairway, and nothing will stay left because of the slope.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Everything golf

Postby iamjs » Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:21 pm

If anyone wants to play a round in the next few weekends I'm pretty free. Playing 9s are fun but I need to get some full rounds in to see where things really are with my game. Send me a PM if you have any ideas; I'm happy to try somewhere new that's closer to the city or wherever.

Most of my golfing friends have kids and they're too hard to schedule with. One of them penciled me in for a date in August we might get to play if his wife allows. Penciled in for a future maybe. Feels good. :lol:
I'm supposedly allowed to swing irons again in mid to late August, so I may see how things go before offering an invite.

Dickie Dunn

Everything golf

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:34 pm

It's really something else to play a course around here with basically no trees in play. Gives you a false sense of security, in a way...but that 'hay' off the rough is basically unplayable most of the time.

Will definitely be going back there if I can get a bit more dialed in. Driver was hot garbage, long irons were not much better. Short irons were inconsistent distance-wise...but I putted very well.
Beautiful course… but **** is it expensive, especially for non-residents. At least with Quicksilver there’s a possible of snagging a Golf Now deal. The three par 3s on the front nine are also one of those things where if you’re not feeling your irons early in the round, we’ll you’re pretty much ****. Much like the turn at Conley’s, ya wonder if there were in the middle of construction when they realized they measured wrong and were like “well ****, guess this one is gone be a wedge off the tee”.

Troy Loney

Everything golf

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:47 pm

Also played hickory heights for the first time recently. Didn't come close to hitting any houses, but i can see where they are in play. I hated the par 3's, it was really enjoying myself until those two par 3's on the front.

Dickie Dunn

Everything golf

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:50 pm

Also played hickory heights for the first time recently. Didn't come close to hitting any houses, but i can see where they are in play. I hated the par 3's, it was really enjoying myself until those two par 3's on the front.
Last time I played HH I yanked a drive so far left that I hit a house that wasn’t even on the course. The Par 3s on the front 9 were designed by an dadhole.