Everything golf

dodint

Everything golf

Postby dodint » Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:37 pm

Yeah, I don't think there is a 'right' answer. And to find the answer that best fits a person would require practical testing.
One of my game philosophies is reducing the amount of decisions I need to make during a round. This is why I have notes on every hole I play even if I've never been there before. Getting my gear tweaked to my satisfaction is part of that; just one less thing I need to think about when I'm walking up to a ball.

I don't think anything is static either. As MiMH mentioned, I'm not a a point where I even think about backspin on pitches and chips. When I progress to that point my interest may shift towards specialized wedges and away from using a game improvement head from 90yds out.

This is why I love golf even though it's an abusive relationship. Just endless stuff to unpack.

MR25

Everything golf

Postby MR25 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:34 pm

The thinking/analysis of everything is probably my favorite part of the sport. I already think too much as is. Golf gives me an outlet to use up all of that energy.

I use my set PW, a Titleist 52 and 56, and a Ping 60. Perfect gap set up for me at 10-15 yard increments for a full swing. I don't even think about the club head shape for the 52. My set didn't come with a Gap so my only option was to get a traditional wedge, and I chose Titleist because it felt the best and gave me the most consistent results at the range out of that, a Ping, and a Callaway.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Everything golf

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:06 pm

I get existential about golf. Don't get me wrong, I love and and hope to play it until the day I die but from an continuous improvement perspective I wonder how my game will trend throughout the course of my life

I've played golf since I was 10 or so but didn't start taking it really "seriously" (as in playing consistently and trying to improve my game) until about 2014. I didn't start measuring handicap until last year but I'm guessing I was a ~28ish then. I am a 16.1 right now according to the app I use. So I've lost 12 on my handicap over the last 7 years. Not bad

I wonder how low I can go. At some point I want to flirt with par for entire rounds

dodint

Everything golf

Postby dodint » Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:10 pm

I want to get to a handicap of 18 by the end of next season. If I can achieve bogey golf I don't know what more I could want from golf. But I'm sure I'll think of something. The threshold to get out of the lowest Flight in my Veterans events is 15 and I don't think I'll get there in the next few years.

I think there will come a point in the next two years where I shift from being score-driven to just enjoying playing in and of itself. I put a lot of pressure on myself every time I step on a course. Would be fun to just play with friends and not even keep score. But I'm incapable of that right now.

MR25

Everything golf

Postby MR25 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:14 pm

My current goal is to break 80. I've hit 80 once, 82 a handful of times.

I think once I can break 80, the next goal is going to be 75. Can't get too far ahead of myself and want to have the goal be as realistic as possible. I don't want to end up being one of those people who immediately goes to "I want to break Par" then collapses on the last 3 holes because of the pressure.

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:15 pm

no pressure no diamonds

MR25

Everything golf

Postby MR25 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:19 pm

Youre not wrong, but I've also definitely had rounds where I looked at my score on 15 and was like "man I just need 2 pars and a bogey to break 80" and I come out with a double and two bogeys. Out of sight, out of mind lol.

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:22 pm

Yeahhh that's a surefire way to ruin it :lol:

Surprised you could see your scorecard though

dodint

Everything golf

Postby dodint » Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:29 pm

Oof. :lol:

MR25

Everything golf

Postby MR25 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:38 pm

Yeahhh that's a surefire way to ruin it :lol:

Surprised you could see your scorecard though

A lot easier to see things that you can hold up in your hand like

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Everything golf

Postby iamjs » Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:58 pm

TIL a two way chipper is an illegal club and can get you DQ'ed in a serious event.

https://golfible.com/best-golf-chippers/
Are chippers legal in golf?
According to the USGA, chippers are legal in golf because they are classified as irons. In order to have a legal chipper in your bag, you cannot have a putter grip on the club nor have a two-way chipper. A two-way chipper has a club face on both sides of the head. The USGA considers a “long chipper” to be illegal, so the club has to be the length of a 7-iron to a putter.

If you are out on the course for fun and want to hit shots left or right-handed with a two-way chipper, then just make sure to take it out of the bag come tournament time.

A player caught with a two-way chipper in a tournament (stroke play or match play) will be disqualified, and if it’s a multi-team tournament such as a scramble, the entire group will be disqualified.
I picked one up at an estate sale about a month or so ago for a buck and figured I'd see if it would help me out. I'm guilty of two yard chips that dribble off my club when I'm near the fringe, so I figure it wouldn't hurt to have in the bag. But since I'm not playing in any serious tournaments or scrambles anytime soon, I should have nothing to worry about.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Everything golf

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:04 pm

TIL a two way chipper is an illegal club and can get you DQ'ed in a serious event.

https://golfible.com/best-golf-chippers/
Are chippers legal in golf?
According to the USGA, chippers are legal in golf because they are classified as irons. In order to have a legal chipper in your bag, you cannot have a putter grip on the club nor have a two-way chipper. A two-way chipper has a club face on both sides of the head. The USGA considers a “long chipper” to be illegal, so the club has to be the length of a 7-iron to a putter.

If you are out on the course for fun and want to hit shots left or right-handed with a two-way chipper, then just make sure to take it out of the bag come tournament time.

A player caught with a two-way chipper in a tournament (stroke play or match play) will be disqualified, and if it’s a multi-team tournament such as a scramble, the entire group will be disqualified.
I picked one up at an estate sale about a month or so ago for a buck and figured I'd see if it would help me out. I'm guilty of two yard chips that dribble off my club when I'm near the fringe, so I figure it wouldn't hurt to have in the bag. But since I'm not playing in any serious tournaments or scrambles anytime soon, I should have nothing to worry about.
I'd call your **** out if we were playing skins though :slug:

dodint

Everything golf

Postby dodint » Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:11 pm

I was doing my virtual recon tonight for Birdsfoot. It looks challenging. I'll be playing from the blue tees, most likely in the rain. I didn't see a single hole where I think it would be safe to play driver. There is one that I might have to chance it because the fairway is 180 yards out.

Any pointers?

Troy Loney

Everything golf

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:41 pm

I was doing my virtual recon tonight for Birdsfoot. It looks challenging. I'll be playing from the blue tees, most likely in the rain. I didn't see a single hole where I think it would be safe to play driver. There is one that I might have to chance it because the fairway is 180 yards out.

Any pointers?
Greens aren't in good shape right now, I think it's just end of season wear and tear.

1. Wide open, no reason to not hit driver, the green is uphill, so not a good hole to leave yourself 175+ in
2. Probably want to hit driver there as well, that way you take the water out of play on your second shot
3. challenging hole, lost ball if you hit your drive left at all, and then anything right of the fairway makes the hole longer
4. Short par 3
5. Open par 5, room on all sides, no reason to not hit driver
6. Short par 4, can cut it short and play to the right out of the rough, or follow the fairway for a full wedge in
7. Short uphill par 4, only some fescue on the right, but mostly wide open
8. iron off the tee is probably a good play, better to be in the fairway
9. Long par 3 with a long clearing
10. Uphill par 4, mostly blind, more room on the right than you think
11. Long par 3, short is the miss
12. Long par 4 with a decent clearing, but downhill. play left, Right is either in the woods or blocked out
13. Uphill par 5, probably the only fairway that demands a straight shot
14. Par 4, stay left
15. Short par 4, iron is the play, long right is not good
16. Par 5, pretty short, and there are problems left and right with trees or woods. You can hit iron and still make the gir
17. pretty short par 3, pretty much an island green
18. blind par 4, gotta blast it over the crap that splits the fairway, otherwise you have a completely blind second shot.

dodint

Everything golf

Postby dodint » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:00 pm

Thanks. :thumb:

Very much appreciated. I will post some thoughts in the AM

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:02 pm

Our club does match play throughout the year. Had my quarterfinal match today. It's net of handicap. Dude was a 13 handicap and shot even on the back 9 and cleaned my clock. Sad!

Troy Loney

Everything golf

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:10 am

Sandbagger

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:18 am

@Orlando Penguin, Were you invited to the after party? :wink:

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:52 am

Speaking of @Orlando Penguin you went it Hazeltine too right? Which one had the better atmosphere?

Orlando Penguin

Everything golf

Postby Orlando Penguin » Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:09 pm

There were no invites to the afterparty. It was being held in Green Bay, which was about an hour away from where we were.

I've been to Valhalla, Medinah, Paris, and Whistling Straits. Valhalla was very raucous and the first tee at Paris was outstanding. WS was kinda dull and I think a lot of it had to do with the distance that the galleries were from the greens. There weren't too many greens there where the crowds were right up close to the action unlike a lot of other courses.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Everything golf

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:29 pm

taking a half day tomorrow and playing chestnut ridge. mid 60s at tee time with a high of 70. cantwait.bartscott

dodint

Everything golf

Postby dodint » Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:54 pm

I am not having fun on the golf course at all. It was pure misery from the first shot to the last today. I worked so hard through the summer to get my 5i-wedges dialed in and my score tumbled. Now that I'm trying to reintroduce longer clubs I'm making awful shots with the long clubs and now the irons aren't working anymore either. If breaking 100 means I have to practice/play 5 days a week I'm not sure I have the resources or the will for this.
When I was dialed in I could groove a 5i 160 to 180 every single time. Now I'm back to topping it and hitting fat. Range/sim sessions are just discouraging because I don't give a flying **** if it works there (and it does) when every time I step into a teebox to make a meaningful shot I duff it 70 yards to the gold tee.

I'm glad the season is almost over. Looking forward to a reboot in the spring.

Troy Loney

Everything golf

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:21 pm

I am not having fun on the golf course at all. It was pure misery from the first shot to the last today. I worked so hard through the summer to get my 5i-wedges dialed in and my score tumbled. Now that I'm trying to reintroduce longer clubs I'm making awful shots with the long clubs and now the irons aren't working anymore either. If breaking 100 means I have to practice/play 5 days a week I'm not sure I have the resources or the will for this.
When I was dialed in I could groove a 5i 160 to 180 every single time. Now I'm back to topping it and hitting fat. Range/sim sessions are just discouraging because I don't give a flying **** if it works there (and it does) when every time I step into a teebox to make a meaningful shot I duff it 70 yards to the gold tee.

I'm glad the season is almost over. Looking forward to a reboot in the spring.
Been there, I think this is the managing expectations part and not allowing yourself to get discouraged. I have probably tanked 10 rounds this year solely due to internally pouting.

dodint

Everything golf

Postby dodint » Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:42 pm

Yeah. I'm sure if I went out without a scorecard and just played I'd be less stressed, but I'm not sure the striking would be better.

An dadhole that starts a round like this deserves what he gets:

If I'm only going to get my driver out to 9i distance the least it could do is be straight. But, nah.

MR25

Everything golf

Postby MR25 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:46 pm

Wait are you mapping that out in Grint or do your new clubs have Arccos?