Meow

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:12 pm

Congrats on the 78 mr loney @troy loney

King Colby

Everything golf

Postby King Colby » Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:52 pm

Nice, Troy. Never broke 80 in my life. 81 was my best.

CBear3

Everything golf

Postby CBear3 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:03 pm

Nice, Troy. Never broke 80 in my life. 81 was my best.
This. Way to go Troy.

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:14 pm

I do the partners match play tournament at my club with my brother every year (net of handicaps) but this was my first time entering the singles tourney. Played my first round match and won 3&1 today. Match play is hard as **** when you don't have a partner to bail you out

Troy Loney

Everything golf

Postby Troy Loney » Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:37 pm

107 at Manor Valley. Not a bad little course, didn't feel as short as I thought it would be. I never really threatened 99 all day, but didn't have any big blowups either. Pars were rare.

I have never been hit into as many times on one round as this morning. Didn't bother me much but they came within 15 feet, one shot within three feet, several times. And we weren't playing slow, as a twosome pinned between two foursomes.
Had the pleasure of being the target practice in this round with Dodint. Not sure if anyone is familiar with this course, but it has 5 or 6 sub-300 yard par 4's and the happy gilmore's behind us didn't think it necessary to wait till we cleared to impress the world with their 260 yard driving ability. The one time they pulled up the dude was like, wow, didn't think it'd get that far. They were trash.

Shot an 88, had some definite issues controlling the speed on the greens, at least three times I hit the exact chip I intended to, twice rolled it completely off the green, and the other times way past the hole. So in the end, I had 3 doubles a and triple, I did have 7 clean holes (6 pars, 1 birdie) and 3 3-putt bogies. So 10 gir. So it felt like the game I put together yesterday was still there. I also did not hit one good driver the entire day, which I am about 99% sure was on account of playing with a broken driver, which I blame Monroeville Dicks. Backstory there being, my Dicks (waterfront) doesn't do repairs, so I had to drive out there seeking repairs on my 5-iron and Driver, the head flew off the 5-iron last week, so I've been without my lowest iron since then and the piece between the shaft and the driver head has separated on the driver. Long story short, they didn't have any shafts in stock for the iron and the guy told me the driver was fine. So i just kept playing it, On one of my last drives yesterday, I thought I felt the head move at impact, but I might have imagined it. But anyway, I hit the driver 8 times today, it went right every single time, twice OOB (double, triple), hole 15 I felt it move for sure, and switched to the 3 wood for 16-18 and hit two 250 yard ideal shots and popped-up the third (tee'd the last up too high tried to adjust, never do that). After the round made the **** drive out to golf galaxy, dude looked at and was like, the glue is dried out, your head is loose, and just twisted off, and was like "see". And, "yes" he said, "the guys at Dicks are idiots". It seems kind of intuitive that if the face is loose, the impact would push the face open and that is what I think caused all those drives to fly right.

And, most importantly, even though I was scoring terribly, the only thing that got me upset were the jags almost hitting us.

Troy Loney

Everything golf

Postby Troy Loney » Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:38 pm

I do the partners match play tournament at my club with my brother every year (net of handicaps) but this was my first time entering the singles tourney. Played my first round match and won 3&1 today. Match play is hard as **** when you don't have a partner to bail you out
That's rad. I hope to be able to do some kind of competitive golf within 2-3 years.

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:41 pm

Dude that exact thing happened with my 5 iron last year. I was warming up on the range and I was hitting my 5 iron like 70 yards and it felt like the club was just twisting in my hands. Thought I totally had the yips, couldn't figure anything out. Then threw the club in the bag and the club head just slowly teetered off the shaft. Big sigh of relief knowing it wasn't my swing :lol:

dodint

Everything golf

Postby dodint » Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:28 pm

You were killing that 3-wood though. :lol:

I never did figure out those greens, even with 40 putts today.

King Colby

Everything golf

Postby King Colby » Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:58 pm

I haven't played manor valley in years. Are the greens decent? I remember the place being a bit of a dog patch

dodint

Everything golf

Postby dodint » Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:08 pm

It was just weird. It was threatening rain and super humid all day, but the greens were running like glass.

Upkeep was good, though.

Orlando Penguin

Everything golf

Postby Orlando Penguin » Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:25 pm

I have never been hit into as many times on one round as this morning. Didn't bother me much but they came within 15 feet, one shot within three feet, several times. And we weren't playing slow, as a twosome pinned between two foursomes.
I give them one warning to let them apologize and let them know that I don't like it. Next time, I send their shot back to them or into the woods/water.

dodint

Everything golf

Postby dodint » Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:29 pm

Like I told TL, it's a thing that SHOULD make me rage. But I just don't care for some reason.

He had a different opinion. ;)

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Everything golf

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:11 pm

Jon Rahm withdrew from the Olympics on Sunday after he tested positive for COVID-19, Spain’s Olympic committee announced.

This marks the second time the world’s top-ranked golfer has tested positive for the coronavirus in as many months.

Rahm will not be replaced by Spain as the golf competition is due to start Thursday. Adri Arnaus will now represent Spain alone.
https://sports.yahoo.com/jon-rahm-tests ... 17EPF_HyNC

MrKennethTKangaroo

Everything golf

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:15 pm

Da fuq

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:46 pm

Saw this random story about Bubba Watson and thought I'd share it from a while back.
I have told this story before, and will tell it til the day I die....

My brother lives in the northwest FL area Bubba is from. It would be tough to find anyone involved in the golf industry (club pros, tournament directors, etc) that have one nice thing to say about him. I have gone down there many times to play with my brother, who used to be a club pro years ago so we always end up playing with these guys. I used to think they overreacted cause they were jealous etc, but then I saw this happen first hand (the first time.....) and I realized Bubba might be one of the most self centered dadholes on this planet. Here is why.

There is a tournament down there for junior golfers called the Divot Derby. It has been around for years, and it usually has a pro who sponsors it (looking back, I actually these guys they started it, it started was before my nephew was able to play in it). For years it was Boo Weekley and Heath Slocumb. Now, these guys went all out, hung out both Sat and Sunday with these kids ( ages 8-18, in different age groups of course). Now, this wasn't a "everyone can enter tournament". This was a tournament where you had to play a number of tournaments in the First Tee, and place high enough to qualify to play.

So, this was a junior tournament filled with the best of the best First Tee members who obviously were fans of the guys from their small area of FL (it is the very edge of the panhandle, next to Alabama, the Pensacola area) who made it as PGA pros, and Boo was a HUGE favorite. Boo and Heath, apart from hanging out with the kids, put on a huge bash at the end of the tournament for the kids. Obviously they were the ones who gave the trophys out, but they also cooked a BBQ for the kids, hung out with them the whole party and talked to each one, took pictures etc.....Basically way more then you would expect from local heroes who made it big and really came across to these kids as normal people, and when the kids saw this it gave them an extra confidence that these guys made it, maybe I can too. Not just in golf, in life, and the guys were so gracious it was just awesome.

Then, after a few years, when Bubba became the hot name in golf, the tournament directors asked him to be the host of the tournament. Now, Boo and Heath were not invited, as it was knows these two do not get along with Bubba AT ALL. As in, they despise him because he is such an dadhole.

So, tournament weekend comes, and these kids are super excited. This guy just won the Masters! A Masters champ hosting his own tournament for First Tee kids, who was a local guy and he was gonna hang out with them? Awesome!

Except, the first day of the tournament, Bubba cancelled his appearance for the whole weekend that morning. Seems he had a demo at a country club that was paying him, and that was more important then showing up at this kids tournament which he was "sponsoring", because that was going to take too much of his time and didn't pay (obviously). The kids were majorly upset, especially since the years before Boo and Heath treated the kids so great.

Sunday comes around and Boo and Heath hear about this, so they show up Sunday and hang out with the kids etc...Basically being the awesome guys that they are. This was frowned upon by Bubba and he was pissed, and he basically forced the guys who run this tournament, for kids mind you, to not allow those guys back, since this was "his tournament" (name attached only, this tournament has gone on for years and years, long before the First Tee existed).

Now, every year since, Bubba has refused to show. What used to be such an awesome thing to do for these kids, (well it is still kind of cool cause these guys qualify for this and it is a best of the best tournament for juniors and a big deal to even be in it let alone win) turned into a shell of what it once was.

He tries to put out this persona how he is such a great "Christian", he cares about his hometown community etc....really he is just an dadhole.

Now, this doesn't even tell the stores I have heard first hand of how he has always treated course employees like **** etc...I could write hundreds of paragraphs of stories I have heard, but since I never saw it I would rather not. This I saw however, with my own two eyes.

So, **** Bubba. He has started showing his true colors slightly the past few years (don't forget the Ryder Cup where there was fans under his balcony and he decided it was a good idea to pour a bottle of wine onto them from his balcony, which was a long time ago and he attempted to change his public identity for a few years, but that is starting to crack.).

TL/DR : Bubba takes over a junior tournament that used to be run in such a great way from Boo and Heath, proceeds to tell the kids in it to **** off.

Edit: I should say, the reason I saw this was because my nephew usually qualifies for the tournament and I have gone down to see him play in it).
Dude is a first class schmuck.

On the flipside, I love Boo Weekley. I know he has struggled with injuries/cancer but I'm really hoping he can make hay on the Champion's Tour in two years.

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:35 pm

Wow that sucks

dodint

Everything golf

Postby dodint » Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:53 pm

My Veterans Tour just booked Olde Stonewall in October for $75. That seems pretty good from what I've heard about that place.

MR25

Everything golf

Postby MR25 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:59 pm

It's usually ~$110+ IIRC

Dickie Dunn

Everything golf

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:44 pm

That’s about standard late season price, depending on when in October you’re scheduled for.

Troy Loney

Everything golf

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:47 pm

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:49 pm

I'm going golfing Saturday AM with my pastor, assistant pastor, and the pastor's father. Fun group of guys, but man, I'm going to have to watch my temper :lol:

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Everything golf

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:54 pm

I googled Olde Stonewall. Looks like a really nice course

MR25

Everything golf

Postby MR25 » Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:31 pm

It's definitely worth the money, at least in terms of course upkeep and difficulty. I've only played it in a scramble format because I'm not really willing to dump 100+ to get eaten alive by the course. Greens run around an 11 or more on the stimp.

Dickie Dunn

Everything golf

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:33 pm

I would say it’s easily the best public course in the area. Gorgeous, impeccable condition, and difficult. Easily country club level.