5AF Parenting Thread

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:24 pm

Pretty much :lol:

Beveridge

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Beveridge » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:28 pm

We've officially entered the "why" stage BTW. Has to be one of the most annoying stages yet :lol:
We are in the where did ______ go? Stage

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:58 pm

I don’t think we ever had a why phase. We did have a question phase where “I don’t know” wasn’t a good enough answer. She’d ask something like “who is that?” I’d say “I don’t know” and her response was “can you tell me?”

shafnutz05

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:16 am

I don’t think we ever had a why phase. We did have a question phase where “I don’t know” wasn’t a good enough answer. She’d ask something like “who is that?” I’d say “I don’t know” and her response was “can you tell me?”
Same. Which was a bummer because I had all these Calvin and Hobbes dad lines saved up and didn't get to use most of them.

Kane

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Kane » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:37 am

Same. Which was a bummer because I had all these Calvin and Hobbes dad lines saved up and didn't get to use most of them.
I've been queuing these up, too. :)

DigitalGypsy66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:12 am

My thoughts on youth sports are well known ITT, from a few years ago.

I was reminded - by another parent with a kid now in the same little league my sons played in back then - about the crap schedule.

Small town little league has four or so teams per level, and usually, there is one really good team, another two mediocre teams, and then a **** team. The three good teams are coached by dads that grew up here together, and they collude and rig the draft to stack those teams. The fourth team, and the one my kids ended up on 6 of 7 seasons because we're not from here, is made up of the odds and sods that can barely play baseball. But whatever, right? They are supposed to have fun...

So this parent reminded me of the scheduling, as her kid is on a bad team this year (they are from Florida). Her six-year-old's team has nearly every late game - starting at 7 or 7:30 for all but two games. The games are 75 minutes, so that puts them at 8:30-9PM on a school night...while the other teams get a better mixture of late and early game starts.

It boggles the mind. :lol:

Morkle

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Morkle » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:56 am

IMO, sports parents are some of the worst people alive.

My dad pushed me, but he never interfered with what team I was on, forced me to play long hours etc. I am ultra competitive, but I love him for that because I grew up loving the game and not hating him for it.

I just don't understand why parents think this is an acceptable way to raise your kids, when they're likely going to be busts anyways.

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:00 am

Sports were great when I was growing up. We didn't have the psychopath parents like I see now. There are close calls between parents at multiple games every season in my nephew's soccer league, and multiple instances of parents yelling at their kids to 'take out' other kids. My nephew was suspended for a game for elbowing another kid who repeatedly went cleats up on him during the game. I'd have gone after the dad if it was me, but my BIL is the coach, so...

MR25

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby MR25 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:07 am

I had a parent try to fight me after an intramural basketball game because someone on that team tried to pick a fight with me for getting a bunch of blocks. Apparently I was in the wrong somehow...?

The psycho sports parent has been brewing for a while now. I'd say the changeover was around once I hit 3rd grade.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:12 am

My daughter overheard my wife and I talk about Joe Biden shortly after he was elected or sworn in, can't recall exactly when it was. She asked us "Who's Joe Biden???" So I showed her a picture and said "He's the president of the United States..." Now, I know that means nothing to her as she's only 3. But the funny thing since then is that any time she sees an old guy with grey hair, she points and says "JOE BIDEN!!!" Cracks me up.

robbiestoupe

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:40 pm

Speaking of bad parents and sports, I had an interaction with a referee at my son's deck hockey game last Saturday. I help out as an assistant coach, which usually means managing line changes and making sure the kids don't misbehave too much on the bench.

Whistle blows, both benches call for a line change. Both sides must not have heard it, since the kids were slow to come off the deck. Referee just loses his mind and goes "Come on! How hard is it to do a line change? We don't have all day coaches, get your kids off the deck."

Keeping my cool, I tell him these are 7-9 year olds, take it easy. His response was an eye roll and a "I know how old they are." Dude is probably mid 20's, wears an actual referee uniform and never smiles. Takes the games way too seriously.

I was hoping he'd throw me out of the game. I think the coaches that run the league would have been on my side and got the dude fired.

MR25

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby MR25 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:43 pm

Which rink? And did he have long hair or a beard?

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby meow » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:56 pm

What a dick. Make sure you constantly give him a hard time. Just talk about line changes the entire game. “We don’t need a change yet, stripes. Still don’t need one, stripes. Still good, stripes. Not yet, but gonna need a change soon, stripes.”

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:56 pm

Plot twist: MR25 is the ref!

MR25

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby MR25 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:11 pm

Plot twist: MR25 is the ref!

No lol but I play up at Cranberry and know most of the refs up there so it wouldn't shock me if it was either one I think it is.

robbiestoupe

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:23 pm

Which rink? And did he have long hair or a beard?
Richland Park. No long hair or beard, but two of the coaches have long hair and beards - they're cool

shmenguin

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shmenguin » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:38 pm

I'd do fly by trash talk towards the other team's parents as i ran down the sideline when i played youth soccer and they were being dicks. they never really saw it coming

RonnieFranchise

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:50 pm

I quit as soccer club president because of these people. Last straw was the 3 appearances of the police at our events, two were parents not being able to control themselves with other parents, the other was a parent with a referee. Plus same season one visit by the fire department because a parent could not keep their child from pulling the fire alarm in the school on picture day. When I coached I had one kid, our best player btw, always ask to play the “coach side” of the field so she couldn’t hear her Dad criticize her during the game. At age 10. Sad.

I will coach, announce, field marshal, anything to not sit with other sports parents. Sitting in the press box behind these toolbags listening to them with the AD and scoreboard op was a riot.

Having my Saturdays and Sundays free except for my child’s actual games is also a definite plus.

FistOfCaufield

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby FistOfCaufield » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:24 pm

The three good teams are coached by dads that grew up here together, and they collude and rig the draft to stack those teams. The fourth team,
F dudes like that who should know better sideways with a rusty spoon.

I'll say it even if they don't want to - none of their kids are sniffing even Single A, for every kid here whose parent thinks they have them on some kind of track because they do a little travel baseball... there are 20 kids in Florida playing better competition all year round.

Dickie Dunn

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:14 am

:scared:

Beveridge

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Beveridge » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:44 am

I'm assuming grats are in order or very soon?

DD Dad rants are going to be the best rants.

shmenguin

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shmenguin » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:14 am

i think the trope that playing team sports when you're little is this sure fire solution for learning about teamwork and accountability is a funny one.

in real life, you learn about politics and how to co-exist with people you don't like.

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:16 am

I played because I enjoyed playing sports...

count2infinity

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:31 am

I enjoyed running around with my friends... it was just something to do.

Dickie Dunn

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:38 am

I'm assuming grats are in order or very soon?

DD Dad rants are going to be the best rants.
Scheduled to be induced Sunday. I like that things were planned. Instead went into labor at 1 AM....