5AF Parenting Thread

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Mon May 03, 2021 9:57 am

Summers started to become my favorite season after I lost weight and actually was comfortable in hot weather, but now that I have a 3 year old, summers are most certainly going to be my favorite season. The weather was kind of crappy Saturday, but the little one and I went grocery shopping, so that was fun to do together. Sunday: weather was beautiful. We went to Lowes, we went to the park, we grabbed lunch and hung out, she napped and I did chores, she woke up and we watched a movie for a bit while she actually woke up, then we had the neighbors over for a water balloon fight and just played for a few hours. It was a great Sunday.

Morkle

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Morkle » Mon May 03, 2021 10:37 am

Yea we spent the majority of the weekend outside. Sunday wrecked our son - as he's fair skinned so he was pretty tired going into nap time, and slightly pink. He was an animal after naptime and didn't turn back to his cheery self until about an hour before bed time.

shafnutz05

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon May 03, 2021 12:49 pm

Yea we spent the majority of the weekend outside. Sunday wrecked our son - as he's fair skinned so he was pretty tired going into nap time, and slightly pink. He was an animal after naptime and didn't turn back to his cheery self until about an hour before bed time.
Our son has slept like a champion so far at the beach, and has taken to his Pack n Play quickly. Yesterday, he took two naps for the first time in several months, and despite the fact he's used to having blackout shades in his room. That sun just wipes them out. Hell, it wipes me out too...I was asleep at 9:30 last night.

The days of late drinking nights at the beach are over until the kids are older :lol:

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Mon May 03, 2021 1:34 pm

btw... not sure if anyone has tried these or not, but you can buy water balloons that are all hooked up to the end of a hose attachment and you just turn on the water and it fills like 20 water balloons at a time and they fall off when they're full and seal themselves with a rubber band.

I remember trying to stretch the balloon over the hose/faucet and then trying to tie them off. Now you fill 20 in a minute or so and it's all autofilling. It's incredible.

Here's the product: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bunch-O-Ball ... lsrc=aw.ds

DigitalGypsy66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon May 03, 2021 1:38 pm

That would've been very useful a few years ago, lol

We had a Star Wars-themed birthday party years ago where we drew a huge Death Star on the driveway, and the kids used water balloons to "destroy" it. It took me FOREVER to fill the stupid balloons for 12 kids, and so many were underfilled after I tied them. :lol:

King Colby

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby King Colby » Mon May 03, 2021 2:29 pm

btw... not sure if anyone has tried these or not, but you can buy water balloons that are all hooked up to the end of a hose attachment and you just turn on the water and it fills like 20 water balloons at a time and they fall off when they're full and seal themselves with a rubber band.

I remember trying to stretch the balloon over the hose/faucet and then trying to tie them off. Now you fill 20 in a minute or so and it's all autofilling. It's incredible.

These are a miracle. Been using them for my niece and nephews for a few years now

shmenguin

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shmenguin » Mon May 03, 2021 5:59 pm

Just started Karate. It’s a riot. Maybe my favorite “sit on an uncomfortable chair and try not to play with your phone” youth sport to witness so far.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby meow » Mon May 03, 2021 6:01 pm

mini meow did karate. It ranks a close second to hockey in terms of hilarity.

shafnutz05

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon May 03, 2021 6:09 pm

I tried these once, and over half the balloons popped as they filled or right after they detached. Tried it on grass and the deck to see if it made a difference but it didn't. May have gotten a bad batch

count2infinity

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Mon May 03, 2021 6:11 pm

Hmmm. We dropped ours into a water table, so likely a much softer drop. Maybe try a bucket or cooler with water in it?

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon May 03, 2021 6:28 pm

My daughter was a blue belt when she stopped doing tae kwon do. She loved it, then covid hit, and she didn’t enjoy class via zoom nearly as much. I had to practically beg her to finish out her enrollment.

Dickie Dunn

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon May 03, 2021 9:59 pm

Why, is that one yours, too?
Lol.

Thanks people. Made his arrival at 1:26 this morning. Right as we went to bed around one the previous morning my wife went “Hmm that felt different. Wonder if this is it.” That feeling had continued to when she woke me up at 5:30 AM. My big plans to sleep in one last time this weekend were severely ruined. Just over 24 hours of labor, the wonder of an epidural, and just under 30 minutes of pushing and here were are. I’m very tired.
Congrats! My wife was induced, and start to finish it took 19 hours to get to maybe 30 minutes of pushing. Process is crazy, but so exciting to be a part of.

Real question, did you look during birth? I did, totally wild.
Hell ya I watched. Best thing I’ve ever seen.

King Colby

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby King Colby » Tue May 04, 2021 12:41 am

I watched. I remember the first one it took forever and I saw a little more each time. The 2nd one I blinked and there was a shoulder coming out...

meow

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby meow » Tue May 04, 2021 7:59 am

You weirdos watched?? You sicken me

count2infinity

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Tue May 04, 2021 8:22 am

I did... as the baby was crowning, the OBGYN mentioned about how much hair she had and gave my daughter a mohawk between pushes. My wife was very confused as I was laughing a bit.

robbiestoupe

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue May 04, 2021 8:32 am

I only watched for #3, but that's because the baby's head was halfway out before I had a chance to call the midwives into the room.

Kane

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Kane » Tue May 04, 2021 8:42 am

Small 'Om came via c-section, so they didn't let me watch or even glance at the ordeal once he was out.

meow

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby meow » Tue May 04, 2021 8:45 am

“Push! Push!”
“I am! It won’t go back it!”

Kane

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Kane » Tue May 04, 2021 8:56 am

DigitalGypsy66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue May 04, 2021 9:39 am

Small 'Om came via c-section, so they didn't let me watch or even glance at the ordeal once he was out.
I watched both c-sections.

It was something man. :?

shmenguin

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shmenguin » Tue May 04, 2021 9:54 am

Mrs. S pushed for 2 and a half hours. not watching would have been difficult - just the logistics of it.

this was after a 23 hour labor, most of which was spent having peak contractions...without an epidural.

i've lost the high ground in any conversation about toughness, perseverance, sacrifice, parenting, all of it. she wins.

count2infinity

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Tue May 04, 2021 9:56 am

You say that as though you ever had it to begin with...

Kane

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Kane » Tue May 04, 2021 11:24 am

I watched both c-sections.

It was something man. :?
I was curious, but they ushered me in quickly, and made sure I couldn't watch throughout. My guess is they've had to many fainters.

Also, we'd been awake for about 30 hours at that point.

King Colby

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby King Colby » Tue May 04, 2021 11:54 am

They may have approached yours differently since it was more emergency

DigitalGypsy66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue May 04, 2021 11:58 am

Yeah, my wife started labor on a Thursday morning and got sectioned Saturday morning. It was pretty horrendous. We went from a birth plan with a doula and no epidural, to a c-section and epidural. The doula was like, "I'm out." :lol: She was very anti-epidural and c-section, but my son wasn't coming out the normal way. He was a 12 pounder, and my wife is 5'1".

We had the option of three different hospitals in Charleston, and toured two of the three...and ended up at the one we didn't tour.

Her OB-GYN office has three doctors, so closer to the due date, we began to see the other doctors in the office to get to know them in case they were the ones on duty. Of course, all three weren't on call and it was a doctor from another allied practice whom we'd never met.

It turned out fine - the doctor and hospital were great, and hard to believe he turns 15 on Thursday. Taking him next week to get his driving permit. :cry:

Honestly, I stayed up by my wife's head and they had her lower half draped off, but I had to move and got a quick look down there. Yikes.