5AF Parenting Thread

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby meow » Wed May 19, 2021 1:19 pm

True. I’ll pause and wait for tif to tell me what to think
"Buffalo wings weren't actually invented in Buffalo, they were invented in Dubrovnik, Croatia. I dined at Velika Krila, near the city centre, about a decade ago. Wings are not supposed to come in dozens, you actually order them by the septet (seven). They were served with leeks and radishes which IMO are far superior to carrots/celery. YMMV."
“Buffalo wing is actually Algonquin for “the good chicken””

shmenguin

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shmenguin » Wed May 19, 2021 1:22 pm

"That's the way it's always been done" doesn't mean it's better, shmenguin... you know this.

That said, I like carrots and celery with my wings.
I think models should be updated with new information. But carrots are not that. Give me something like jicama to weigh against celery and it’s a discussion. Carrots already lost.
You've got plenty of people here claiming carrot superiority...

I'm curious, with the number of bad takes you've got, do you ever... and I mean ever... take a step back and think, "ya know what. Maybe I'm wrong here."?

tifosi77

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Wed May 19, 2021 1:39 pm

Why in the absolute f**k would I ever voluntarily enter this discussion.

(Please note that is not phrased as a question.)

I'm not even going to read the preceding comments to see why my name was invoked. Kids suck. Leave me alone.

Kane

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Kane » Wed May 19, 2021 1:41 pm

"Buffalo wings weren't actually invented in Buffalo, they were invented in Dubrovnik, Croatia. I dined at Velika Krila, near the city centre, about a decade ago. Wings are not supposed to come in dozens, you actually order them by the septet (seven). They were served with leeks and radishes which IMO are far superior to carrots/celery. YMMV."
“Buffalo wing is actually Algonquin for “the good chicken””
:lol:

Kane

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Kane » Wed May 19, 2021 1:41 pm

Why in the absolute f**k would I ever voluntarily enter this discussion.

(Please note that is not phrased as a question.)

I'm not even going to read the preceding comments to see why my name was invoked. Kids suck. Leave me alone.
Is it because you can't sous vide a wing?

tifosi77

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Wed May 19, 2021 1:47 pm

You absolutely can sous vide a wing; I do all the time. Pls stop paging me in itt.

Kane

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Kane » Wed May 19, 2021 2:20 pm

You absolutely can sous vide a wing; I do all the time. Pls stop paging me in itt.
I call bs.

shmenguin

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shmenguin » Wed May 19, 2021 2:22 pm

It makes sense. Boil the chicken, then crisp up the skin in a fryer.

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed May 19, 2021 2:22 pm

You can, but still need to finish it to crisp up the skin. Which begs the question, wtf would you?

tifosi77

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Wed May 19, 2021 2:23 pm

The first thing I ever cooked SV was chicken wings, a la the David Chang 'ghetto SV' method. Pot of water on a stove, monitoring the temp with a thermometer. Cook 'em for 90 minutes or so, drain/dry, coat them in cornstarch, fry, apply sauce, consume freely.

Edit: Since you aren't cooking by frying, you are just looking to crisp the breading/coating. That means you can fry at a much higher temp (like 75-80 hotter, depending on the oil), which means the wings spend less time in the oil and crust gets much crispier.

Beveridge

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Beveridge » Wed May 19, 2021 2:47 pm

POTY

Kane

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Kane » Wed May 19, 2021 3:30 pm

The first thing I ever cooked SV was chicken wings, a la the David Chang 'ghetto SV' method. Pot of water on a stove, monitoring the temp with a thermometer. Cook 'em for 90 minutes or so, drain/dry, coat them in cornstarch, fry, apply sauce, consume freely.

Edit: Since you aren't cooking by frying, you are just looking to crisp the breading/coating. That means you can fry at a much higher temp (like 75-80 hotter, depending on the oil), which means the wings spend less time in the oil and crust gets much crispier.
I stand corrected.

Dickie Dunn

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri May 21, 2021 11:14 am

I have no idea how he pulled it off, but just based on visual evidence Little Dunn somehow hid a bottle of French’s yellow mustard for him to sit on full force mid-diaper change.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Fri May 21, 2021 11:19 am

We were at a neighbor’s house during our after dinner walk and my wife noticed the neighbor had her keys in hand and asked if she was heading out. She said she was just walking to the mailboxes at the front of the development (toward our house) to check the mail.

I asked my daughter, “Do you wanna invite her to walk with us?” “Yeah!” "Okay, go invite her..."

She walks up to her and says “I wanna fight you.”

... close enough.

DigitalGypsy66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue May 25, 2021 2:29 pm

So DG III went for a sports physical the first week of May...and they found a heart murmur.

The first appointment we could get with our doctor was late last week, and they confirmed a slight or mild murmur, but to confirm, we needed to see a pediatric cardiologist. Of course, there is only one such practice in the immediate area...and they are booked until mid-September.

He's had a big growth spurt - five inches, 30 pounds in 10 months - and puberty hit as well (peach fuzz on my little guy is so weird. Much earlier than his older brother) - so the murmur probably is nothing to worry about. He'd had a physical in 2019, but they didn't notice anything then.

But if we can't see another practice before September, he won't get cleared for fall sports. He's my introvert, and really needs the socialization of being on a team, especially after the last 15 months.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby meow » Tue May 25, 2021 6:26 pm

I had a heart murmur at that age. Apparently I grew out of it because I’ve had the last few doctors tell me they don’t hear anything. I had to take these horse pill antibiotics before dental work. It was weird. Any way. I’m rambling.

DigitalGypsy66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue May 25, 2021 7:35 pm

Mama Bear got our doctor to call the cardiologist directly and voila, we have an appointment tomorrow morning at 7:45. :lol:

shafnutz05

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed May 26, 2021 6:43 am

Mama Bear got our doctor to call the cardiologist directly and voila, we have an appointment tomorrow morning at 7:45. :lol:
Good luck! Hope everything turns out OK.

DigitalGypsy66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed May 26, 2021 10:06 am

His heart is perfect, according to the cardiologist. Just an "innocent murmur" which is very common among children and teens. Should resolve itself on its own, fully cleared for sports or whatever.

They are only such practice for 90 minutes around, so that's why the appointment times are so far out.

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed May 26, 2021 10:35 am

His heart is perfect, according to the cardiologist. Just an "innocent murmur" which is very common among children and teens. Should resolve itself on its own, fully cleared for sports or whatever.

They are only such practice for 90 minutes around, so that's why the appointment times are so far out.
:thumb:

Ad@m

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Ad@m » Wed May 26, 2021 10:37 am

:thumb: :thumb:

CBear3

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby CBear3 » Wed May 26, 2021 10:43 am

Good to hear

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu May 27, 2021 6:37 am

Our school district sent out surveys to all families a month or so ago about the 21-22 school year. As a result, the plan is to return to class full-time, with hybrid no longer being an option. You can either attend in class, or attend our district's online learning program, which has been around for a very long time. I imagine that 99.99% of the students will simply be returning to the classroom.

DigitalGypsy66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu May 27, 2021 9:27 am

My kids get out the latest I've seen in SC - June 11th for my high schooler, June 18th for my middle schooler (and elementary school teacher wife) - because of our late start in August, and delayed opening in January.

Meanwhile all of the wee private schools have been out for two weeks, because they started early and didn't delay reopening in January. They can also get full pop regular tuition and start their summer programs (ie babysitting/daycare) two weeks early. Most of the schools had record enrollments, because they picked an in person instruction method early, and from the first week of school, which appeals to many parents. In fact, public school enrollment statewide dropped 3.8%, higher in elementary and middle school.

We had two neighbors send their seniors to private schools this year. That's just weird, imo.

shafnutz05

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri May 28, 2021 12:57 pm

My daughter is continuing to take fun classes through Outschool.com...I cannot recommend that resource enough. She is doing a class today with six other kids across the world; the teacher is a music guy that loves video game music. The whole class is about the history of video game music from the 1970s to today.

She has learned about so much cool stuff about history, science, and other random topics she wouldn't learn about in school through these classes.