5AF Parenting Thread

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby meow » Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:03 pm

Day cares run on thin margins and need the constant cash flow. It’s also not good to look at it as a pay per service day thing and better to look like a gym membership.

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:12 pm

Day cares run on thin margins and need the constant cash flow. It’s also not good to look at it as a pay per service day thing and better to look like a gym membership.
Would you be mad if your gym unplugged all the cardio equipment for a week because the electric bill was too high??

meow

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby meow » Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:39 pm

Cardio? Who does cardio?

meow

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby meow » Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:06 pm

And that might not be what is happening. Staffing issues could be anything. Maybe six teachers all had a death in the family. **** happens.

Ad@m

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Ad@m » Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:48 pm

Maybe she is....SUPER PREGNANT!
:lol:

Shyster

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Shyster » Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:56 pm

I've seen that video dozens of times (still funny), and I still really want to know what "the test was ghetto" means.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:09 am

Did you know ancient Egyptians had a pregnancy test? Documented back to about 1350 BC, a woman who suspected herself to be pregnant would urinate on wheat and barley seeds. If they sprouted faster than non-urinated ones, she was pregnant. Some research group replicated this in the 50's or 60's and found it to be anywhere between 70-85% accurate because the pregnant woman had increased estrogen levels which encourage seed germination.

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:09 pm

Huh. TIL.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:43 pm

Similar to old wives tale about figuring out a baby's sex by having the pregnant woman lay on her back and then the father puts his ring on a string, hangs it over the belly, and if rotates clockwise, it is a boy, counter-clockwise it's a girl.

Worked for our first two. Just let ultrasound do it for the rest.

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:21 pm

We just waited til he came out to figure it out.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:43 pm

Yeah... many of the wives tales are 50:50 at best. The Egyptian pregnancy test was actually statistically significant.

Pavel Bure

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:51 pm

I have similar issues with our daycare, Morkle and also get a little queasy when we have to pay with no services. But as long as that money is going to the employees and not the owners, I don't mind. The workers are most likely underpaid and they take care of my kids. Give them the extra moolah.
Well this is exactly it. I'm annoyed because they have nobody to pay to watch our kids, still want the money, and I know it's not going to teachers who watch my kid.
If the bolded is true, then I would be upset
Don’t forget they were also able to take the massive payroll loans from daddy fed if they wanted to. Daycares are tough because we see more than a mortgage payment per month but don’t take into account any overhead.

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:25 am

We went camping this weekend with my buddy, his wife, and their 4 year old son. What an adventure that was. I understand everyone has different parenting styles, but their son is just a holy terror. He goes full tilt from sun up to sun down. Yesterday when we got home we went to my moms and asked lil mac (3 y/o in 2 months) if he wanted to go camping again with them and he says quite frankly "no. maybe we go alone next time".

count2infinity

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:32 am

We had my wife's co-workers over for a going away party with some of her staff. The one dude has 3 or 4 kids... can't remember which. He was just staring at my daughter sitting at a little table, eating dinner in peace while the rest of us were also sitting and eating and chatting, and he said something to the effect of "Man... she is so chill for a 3 year old. None of my kids were ever like that."

I'm continually thankful we have such a chill kid.

Morkle

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Morkle » Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:47 am

lol our kid is full-tilt most of the time. It requires us to be on him mostly all the time if he's outside.

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:47 am

Yeah, ours too. He gets a little crazy with the one we went camping with, but otherwise there are probably 5-6 kids we regularly see that are +/- 1 year of him and he plays so well with all of them. This one is the exception. I don't know if it's like Aspergers or what, because he talks and plays well, but he just has to have HIS stuff, not great at sharing, etc. Which leads to fights, as we teach my son to take turns.

His parents surely don't do him any favors either. When we were planning the trip, his mom's like "we'll bring easy mac and chicken nuggets for the kids, should I get anything special for yours"... to which we were like "no, he will eat what we eat". They're amazed he eats shrimp, corn on the cob, hamburgers, mountain pies... when you don't fix him a special meal, he'll get the hint.

shafnutz05

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:12 pm

"we'll bring easy mac and chicken nuggets for the kids, should I get anything special for yours"
Yup. Too many parents fall into that trap. And the further off the reservation you get with your kid's dining habits, the harder it is to turn back.

I remember being at a Christmas event for my daughter's preschool five years ago. Her friend at school, who could not have been older than 3, was chugging Mountain Dew. Like...what the ****? Our daughter has never had a drop of soda and has no desire to.

King Colby

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby King Colby » Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:40 pm

Yeah... many of the wives tales are 50:50 at best. The Egyptian pregnancy test was actually statistically significant.
Because it's science and not voodoo magic?

Dickie Dunn

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:43 pm

Based on my experience, the “feed our kids processed garbage so I don’t have to make any effort” is a largely American thing for both restaurants and school lunches. In Mexico ordering from the kids menu means they get a single enchilada and a smaller portion of rice instead of four enchiladas and a mountain of rice. There’s no dinosaur shaped nuggets on hand to make little Liam shut the **** up. School lunches from other countries make for an even starker comparison. All we do here is introduce and reinforce garbage dietary habits in childhood.

count2infinity

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:10 pm

Because it's science and not voodoo magic?
Well... at the time it was probably considered voodoo magic until it was replicated in a lab and the mechanism for accuracy was determined.

count2infinity

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:11 pm

We typically make small adjustments to our evening dinners for little c2i, but never anything huge. Her weekend lunches on the other hand. Those are just meh, throw something on a plate. Mostly because that's what our lunches are too.

robbiestoupe

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:14 pm

We're pretty careful with our breakfasts and dinners for our kids, but lunches are mac n cheese/dino nuggets/lunchables and not freaking enchiladas. We spend enough time in the kitchen as it is already, lunch is a chance for us to take a break.

Morkle

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Morkle » Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:38 pm

Yea lunch is very much, what can I throw together here. Breakfast and dinner though, always making something.

His grandparents ask us repeatedly if he can have fruit punch, tea with sugar, juices. Those are 100% absolutely special occasion drinks, otherwise it's milk or water and he's fine with.

Same with candy and sweets. We know on grandparent times they're gonna break the rules, but they've been nice enough to respect our wishes when we're around.

We figure if they're already asking, they've already done it.

RonnieFranchise

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:56 pm

You wonder how they figured that one out.

DigitalGypsy66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:04 pm

My teenagers dodint and moan about any homecooked meal. If it ain't pizza or fast food, then it sucks. It's tiresome and has only gotten worse during the pandemic. We're very limited in dining out options, as most are not healthy or are poorly run (or both). We build in 2-3 dining out nights, to give me a break from cooking, and my kids say that's the best thing I cook. :cry: (My wife and various dinner guests say I cook just fine).

Like last night, we originally planned to go out to eat. But, most local places are closed this week for summer vacation. So I moved up "Breakfast for Dinner" - pancakes (with either chocolate chips or homegrown blueberries), cheese grits, fresh fruit, and bacon - instead of eating shite Wendy's or whatever. You would have thought I was feeding them dog food. So we took away the 15 year old's driving practice, and that changed his attitude a bit.