5AF Parenting Thread

shmenguin

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shmenguin » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:19 pm

nevermind....I tldr yer whole post.
Its a bit of an unsettled feeling the first couple nights your kiddo can get out of bed by herself.
when we converted her crib into a bed, my daughter ran to the door and back to her bed a couple times on the first night (we have a camera in there). since then (many months ago), i don't think she's set foot on the floor until we come and get her. she's not exactly the most adventurous kid. which is totally fine by me.

eddy

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby eddy » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:48 pm

my wife made my youngest cry the other day by reciting the words from labyrinth about the goblin king coming to take him away. Guess who is a really good listener now!

robbiestoupe

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:52 pm

At what point to people stop using months as a unit of age? mrs. meow and I were thinking at 2 years old. mini meow is currently 16 months old.
1 year is the correct answer. Consider this a gear grinder for moi

Viva la Ben

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Viva la Ben » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:58 pm

nevermind....I tldr yer whole post.
Its a bit of an unsettled feeling the first couple nights your kiddo can get out of bed by herself.
when we converted her crib into a bed, my daughter ran to the door and back to her bed a couple times on the first night (we have a camera in there). since then (many months ago), i don't think she's set foot on the floor until we come and get her. she's not exactly the most adventurous kid. which is totally fine by me.
My 50 month old is in the climb into his parent's bed stage.

robbiestoupe

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:58 pm

We took our 1-1/2 year old to Kennywood on Saturday for his first amusement park adventure. He seemed a bit nervous on the Kangaroo, but didn't cry. Surprisingly, he lost it on the Turtle. Although to his credit, that thing does produce some weightlessness and a good amount of centripetal force to through off a toddler.

We redeemed is amphibious experience with the kiddie land Turtle. His favorite had to be the Grand Prix. Little man thought he was actually driving the car himself he was so giddy with excitement.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby meow » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:00 pm

We took our 1-1/2 year old to Kennywood on Saturday for his first amusement park adventure. He seemed a bit nervous on the Kangaroo, but didn't cry. Surprisingly, he lost it on the Turtle. Although to his credit, that thing does produce some weightlessness and a good amount of centripetal force to through off a toddler.

We redeemed is amphibious experience with the kiddie land Turtle. His favorite had to be the Grand Prix. Little man thought he was actually driving the car himself he was so giddy with excitement.
So your 18 month old loves race cars, huh? That's great that your 18 month old enjoyed himself.

robbiestoupe

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:03 pm

He's actually 18.36139630390143737166324435318275 months, thank you very much

shafnutz05

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:29 am

Posting in here to spare the poor home improvement folks from hearing our tales. Other 5AF parents, how sanitary would you say you are when it comes to your kids? We had the discussion about boiling breast pumps, bottles, etc. But I find I am rather laissez-faire when it comes to a lot of stuff. For example....found a piece of popcorn on the floor? Go to town. Run around barefoot in the yard? Enjoy yourself. Have a strange desire to know what dirt tastes like? I'm not going to stop you unless it becomes habitual. So on and so forth.

I do the common-sense stuff (washing both of our hands after diaper changes, etc), but I know a lot of parents would go into cardiac arrest seeing some of the stuff we let our daughter do. The way I see it, going to day care every day, she probably picks up far more germs than doing a lot of the above things.

eddy

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:35 am

The kids were out back playing and I didn't see my youngest, so I asked my son where he is. He said, "He's playing in the pee pit". So not only do I have a "pee pit" where all the kids apparently pee rather than walking 50 feet and coming inside, but it's also their secret hangout. I think it's both hilarious/terrifying that there is a pee pit in my back yard, but what am I going to do? They are kids, right? When we get a good rain, they get in their swimming suits and go play in the mud under their fort I built. I'm with you shaf.

meow

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby meow » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:43 am

I think we are fairly sanitary. Wash hands before and after diaper changes. Bath every night. Clean crib sheet every other day. New sippy cup every 4 hours or so. No sitting down or touching the ground in public. Food on the floor isn't a problem since we have two dogs (dogs get it or it inevitably attracts a dog hair). Run the sweeper once a day.

shmenguin

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shmenguin » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:50 am

we're much more safety-conscious than sanitation-conscious. i'm a little more compulsive than shad. A LOT less than meow.

we obviously soak and clean all bottles/pump parts every day. we discourage eating things off the floor, but if it happens it happens. i baby wipe a lot of things that should probably get a proper cleaning. baths any night when sun screen is applied (every day in summer). once every other night if kids are clean. i'll go a couple weeks between changing sheets. hand washing is often forgotten when they come in from outside.

Beveridge

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Beveridge » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:55 am

Makes me think when I went to the beach a couple weeks ago with my 8 month old niece. She would eat some sand, but go back for some more just knowing that this handful from this side would taste much better.

meow

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby meow » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:00 am

What do you do safety-wise? Anything you feel is over the top?

shmenguin

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shmenguin » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:05 am

What do you do safety-wise? Anything you feel is over the top?
my daughter will be 3 in a few months and we still don't let her go up and down the stairs without one of us in front of/behind her. this is largely because she fell down the entire staircase back in september and we haven't recovered from that mental image yet.

everything else is in that same vein. we help her up and down from things excessively. playground stuff is heavily supervised. we don't like her or our 9 monther crawling up anything.

we aren't really "baby proofers" though...mainly because they don't leave our site for a second.

shafnutz05

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:08 am

my daughter will be 3 in a few months and we still don't let her go up and down the stairs without one of us in front of/behind her. this is largely because she fell down the entire staircase back in september and we haven't recovered from that mental image yet.
Last month, I had a mental lapse and suddenly realized I hadn't seen my daughter in at least five minutes (which as you know, is approximately 10 years in parent time). I sprint to the stairs yelling her name, and her head appears in the upstairs hallway laughing hysterically. Good times :o

shmenguin

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shmenguin » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:12 am

Last month, I had a mental lapse and suddenly realized I hadn't seen my daughter in at least five minutes (which as you know, is approximately 10 years in parent time). I sprint to the stairs yelling her name, and her head appears in the upstairs hallway laughing hysterically. Good times :o
it doesn't help that my daughter has the gate of a newborn giraffe. she is a big time klutz who can't be trusted to stay on her feet under any circumstances.

meow

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby meow » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:20 am

That is all reasonable. My son won't let anyone help him up his little slide. It's like 4 ladder rungs and he has taken a few spills off it, but he is fiercely independent and won't let anyone help him.

Factorial

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Factorial » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:29 am

I've been noticing men ogling my daughters in public. What do I do? Punch them like that guy did at Wawa in Upper Darby?

meow

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby meow » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:30 am

Throat jab them. That's my default

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:30 am

how old is she? you don't need to be specific. just greater than or less than weenie?

Factorial

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Factorial » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:31 am

how old is she? you don't need to be specific. just greater than or less than weenie?
13 and 16 but they both look to be around 14. If it were Weenie doing the ogling I would punch him.

eddy

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:37 am

I've been noticing men ogling my daughters in public. What do I do? Punch them like that guy did at Wawa in Upper Darby?
build a fallout shelter in the backyard?

robbiestoupe

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:00 pm

Posting in here to spare the poor home improvement folks from hearing our tales. Other 5AF parents, how sanitary would you say you are when it comes to your kids? We had the discussion about boiling breast pumps, bottles, etc. But I find I am rather laissez-faire when it comes to a lot of stuff. For example....found a piece of popcorn on the floor? Go to town. Run around barefoot in the yard? Enjoy yourself. Have a strange desire to know what dirt tastes like? I'm not going to stop you unless it becomes habitual. So on and so forth.

I do the common-sense stuff (washing both of our hands after diaper changes, etc), but I know a lot of parents would go into cardiac arrest seeing some of the stuff we let our daughter do. The way I see it, going to day care every day, she probably picks up far more germs than doing a lot of the above things.
I'm probably in the same boat as you. I took my son out to the garden the other day to hang out while daddy did some weeding, and I hear him starting to cry. I turn and see he has a face like he just ate a piece of chocolate cake. He was trying to wipe his tongue to get rid of the dirt, but of course his hands are just as dirty. I had to laugh on the inside so as to not promote this kind of activity, but it didn't really bother me that much.

RonnieFranchise

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:47 pm

The kids were out back playing and I didn't see my youngest, so I asked my son where he is. He said, "He's playing in the pee pit". So not only do I have a "pee pit" where all the kids apparently pee rather than walking 50 feet and coming inside, but it's also their secret hangout. I think it's both hilarious/terrifying that there is a pee pit in my back yard, but what am I going to do? They are kids, right? When we get a good rain, they get in their swimming suits and go play in the mud under their fort I built. I'm with you shaf.
Every home should have a pee pitt.

Kraftster

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Kraftster » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:39 pm

I feel like we are more safety conscious than others as well. That may simply be because some of the things I see from other parents are absolutely mind boggling to me.

We boil bottle and breast pump parts every night unless it's impossible for some reason. But, I don't think we're overly hygiene conscious other than that.