5AF Parenting Thread

Pavel Bure

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Mon Dec 04, 2023 2:17 pm

It's really disturbing how fortified public high schools are, at least down here. My kids have to pass through metal detectors (didn't have to do that at our previous district's schools) and the whole process to sign a kid out is crazy. First, the front office area is basically a fortified bunker. You get buzzed in, and no windows to break to gain entry. It's all steel doors and thick plexiglass. So I sign my kid out, and I have to give an exit pass to the security guard while driving off school property. This on top of a SRO.
But have you thought about the need for people to have guns?

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:52 pm

At my kid’s school they had a game where they randomly stuck pickle cut outs around the building with tape and if a kid finds one, they get a pickle ornament. My kiddo found one today and she was stoked.

After dinner we were playing a game where one of us hides it and the other has to go find it. Of course, when my wife asked what we were doing my daughter said “it’s called hide the pickle, it’s sooooo fun. You and daddy can play if you want… but not until I’m in bed!!!”

We got a good laugh out of it.

Morkle

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Morkle » Mon Dec 04, 2023 9:03 pm

haha

shafnutz05

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Dec 04, 2023 10:10 pm

Oh man, that's so good :lol:

Lock that one away.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby count2infinity » Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:07 pm

Today started 12 days of spirit at my daughter's elementary school. 2.5 weeks of themed days. What the actual f*ck...

Some of them are bizarre too... "Dress like the grinch" day. "wear holiday lights" day.

Pavel Bure

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:09 pm

Today started 12 days of spirit at my daughter's elementary school. 2.5 weeks of themed days. What the actual f*ck...

Some of them are bizarre too... "Dress like the grinch" day. "wear holiday lights" day.
Yeah, it’s out of control. Today some kind of Rudolph **** reindeer or some **** day. I don’t have the energy for this.

Oh and some a-hole parent put their damn elf in a clear box and let their kid bring it to the school. Now my kids are asking, hard no.

Nuge

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Nuge » Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:16 pm

Yeah, it’s out of control. Today some kind of Rudolph **** reindeer or some **** day. I don’t have the energy for this.

Oh and some a-hole parent put their damn elf in a clear box and let their kid bring it to the school. Now my kids are asking, hard no.
My son told me the other day that some of the kids at preschool have elves at their house. I told him “that’s nice. We don’t”.

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:29 pm

Luckily it's only 12. Ours started December 1.

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:30 pm

Today was shine like a snowflake day lol. We wore a blue shirt..

Pavel Bure

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:31 pm

My son told me the other day that some of the kids at preschool have elves at their house. I told him “that’s nice. We don’t”.
Yeah we started doing it so the kids wouldn’t be separated from their peers. We don’t do anything fancy but they love it.

CBear3

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby CBear3 » Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:17 am

Daughter's on the middle school B basketball team. So far they're 4-2 I think. Last night she played against some of the girls from her rec-ish type league from last year, and of course the girl that always fouled out last year laid a shoulder through my daughter and sent her to the ground. I literally had to pull my wife back down to her seat when the ref called it a travel.

I'm not sure how I became the cool headed one.

DigitalGypsy66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Dec 08, 2023 9:29 am

Mama Bear etc. etc.

DigitalGypsy66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:26 am

So my wife is walking through her 5th grade classroom after her students have gone home for the day. She spots this book left behind on a student's desk:

She thinks, "Wow, a book about ice hockey and skaters here, in Myrtle Beach?" So she opens it up and reads some of it. Basically, it's a lurid romance novel. :lol: Lots of "making me wet" type stuff and "I didn't want her to feel my boner" talk. :lol: And presumably a lot worse, from the reviews of it. :scared:

Looking at the cover, it looks like a young adult novel. But yikes.

Neither of us are advocates for book banning, but I wonder if the parents know what's up with this book? It didn't come from the school or public library, so someone bought it/gave it to the students. Glancing at the cover, it looks pretty innocuous. It's a 450 page book, which my wife at first glance was happy to see the student reading. Getting them to read anything that's not on a phone or tablet is an achievement.

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:28 am

I'm reporting her school to the GOP immediately.

CBear3

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby CBear3 » Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:34 pm

Overprotective Dad alert:
Holy crap, just read the last bit of the excerpt on the Amazon page.
It's not YA, and I would absolutely have a problem with my 8th grader reading it, and I think my 5th grade boy would just be confused.

The cartoon artwork really does make you think YA, though. And Amazon's "like this" section has a lot of similar cartoony book covers. This feels like a Joe Camel thing to me...

obhave

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby obhave » Fri Dec 08, 2023 1:13 pm

Romance novels (sultry or rom-com) often have those cartoon covers now, which very bright covers. Erotica will still have things more stereotypical of romance novels.

So I looked at that and new it was a romance before I read the rest of the posts

robbiestoupe

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Dec 08, 2023 2:41 pm

Daughter's on the middle school B basketball team. So far they're 4-2 I think. Last night she played against some of the girls from her rec-ish type league from last year, and of course the girl that always fouled out last year laid a shoulder through my daughter and sent her to the ground. I literally had to pull my wife back down to her seat when the ref called it a travel.

We just had our 3rd/4th grade rec league draft last night. Compared to last year I’m excited to work with these coaches. Everybody seems to want to teach the kids vs trying to win.

Problem is there are a few kids in this league that think they are playing football. One kid already punched another in the gut for no apparent reason. During tryouts ffs. I made sure I drafted none of the troublemakers, I don’t want to parent another 10 kids.

mac5155

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby mac5155 » Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:04 pm

So my wife is walking through her 5th grade classroom after her students have gone home for the day. She spots this book left behind on a student's desk:

She thinks, "Wow, a book about ice hockey and skaters here, in Myrtle Beach?" So she opens it up and reads some of it. Basically, it's a lurid romance novel. :lol: Lots of "making me wet" type stuff and "I didn't want her to feel my boner" talk. :lol: And presumably a lot worse, from the reviews of it. :scared:

Neither of us are advocates for book banning, but I wonder if the parents know what's up with this book? It didn't come from the school or public library, so someone bought it/gave it to the students. Glancing at the cover, it looks pretty innocuous. It's a 450 page book, which my wife at first glance was happy to see the student reading. Getting them to read anything that's not on a phone or tablet is an achievement.
When I was in about fifth grade I conned my grandma into buying me a Sisqo CD with the Thong Song on it. Just saying grammy might have bought it thinking it's about hockey too lol

CBear3

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby CBear3 » Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:50 pm

We just had our 3rd/4th grade rec league draft last night. Compared to last year I’m excited to work with these coaches. Everybody seems to want to teach the kids vs trying to win.

Problem is there are a few kids in this league that think they are playing football. One kid already punched another in the gut for no apparent reason. During tryouts ffs. I made sure I drafted none of the troublemakers, I don’t want to parent another 10 kids.
Yeah, I got sucked in to coaching my 10 yo's basketball team this year. We've hit the age where most think they no better than you, and some may actually have more basketball knowledge than me too. I'm not looking forward to it, but hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised.

shafnutz05

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:46 pm

:lol: :lol:

That's the second time I've seen that book in less than two weeks. We were at a birthday party a couple weeks ago and the one girls older sister had the exact same book. It caught my eye as looking interesting, and I did the same research and was shocked lol.

DigitalGypsy66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:42 pm

Proud papa tonight! My son got into Clemson! That's his first choice, and it's a lot tougher to get into than when I applied 30 years ago.

MWB

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby MWB » Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:52 pm

Congrats! Definitely gotten tougher there to get into.

NTP66

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:54 pm

Congrats!

skullman80

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby skullman80 » Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:09 pm

Congrats!

Sam's Drunk Dog

5AF Parenting Thread

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:43 pm

:thumb: