MLB

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

MLB

Postby count2infinity » Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:06 pm

Slept like a baby is such a sh*t phrase...
Transformation Tuesday. I can't believe I never took the time to sit down and analyze that notably asinine saying and I am now wiser having thought through Mr. Snitker's application.

Now I need a new "Slept like a..."
My wife and I like to say "slept like a rescue dog..."

Once our dog got comfortable with us, the dude sleeps through everything.

willeyeam

MLB

Postby willeyeam » Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:10 pm

The Angels first 18 picks are all pitchers

King Colby

MLB

Postby King Colby » Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:10 pm

Oohhh that's good. I became better today.

MR25

MLB

Postby MR25 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:18 pm

He can speak English, Japanese, and Spanish. He chooses to use a translator so that he can fully express himself without things being lost in translation or misinterpreted.

MrKennethTKangaroo

MLB

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:21 pm

I don't care if you talk like Chewbacca, if you hit 450 ft bombs, lead the league in home runs, throw 95, and strike out 11.9 guys per 9, you are the face of the league

willeyeam

MLB

Postby willeyeam » Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:25 pm

idk man I coach middle and high school kids and they are just as into MLB as I was. Maybe more because of The Show and collecting all the cards on there. This probably doesn't spread to non-baseball players, but really, kids that didn't play weren't ever real big fans going back to the 90s from what I remember

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

MLB

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:30 pm

at the risk of opening this can of worms back up, you guys would say that Mike Trout is more marketable than Bryce Harper right?

I'd agree with that now because Harper is near irrelevant in Philly but when Harper was with the Nats, Harper was by far more marketable. He was on a playoff team and he was very charismatic. Harper's home run derby win (the one IN DC) was a bigger moment for the sport than any single moment Trout has had in the big leagues.

if you ask people who don't really follow baseball who the better player is/was, Derek Jeter or Mike Trout, I'd guarantee you most of them would say Jeter. Which isn't true at all, but Jeter was a lot more marketable than Trout. Jeter played for the Yankees, was good enough and was also good looking and charismatic. Trout plays for a less significant team and doesn't have the same public image that Jeter had

I'm actually glad this conversation came up because this is what I was trying to articulate about Trout before but I couldn't really find the right words: Trout isn't very marketable for someone with his skill.

MrKennethTKangaroo

MLB

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:31 pm

Bryce harper was/is a jagoff and was/is not more marketable than trout

willeyeam

MLB

Postby willeyeam » Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:31 pm

Trout playing in Anaheim isn't his fault. He's just as marketable as anyone

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

MLB

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:33 pm

I'm not saying it's his fault. I'm saying he's not as marketable

willeyeam

MLB

Postby willeyeam » Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:34 pm

actually it is his fault now, I stand corrected. regardless. Trout is the man and everyone but weenie knows this

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

MLB

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:36 pm

I'm not questioning his baseball talent. I'm questioning his marketability:

MrKennethTKangaroo

MLB

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:37 pm

No he plays in LA according to the team name

willeyeam

MLB

Postby willeyeam » Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:18 pm

Omg the Angels drafted 20 college pitchers. Lol their HS scouts are probably thrilled

MWB

MLB

Postby MWB » Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:31 pm

Question. As you get older, do you find yourself not following the stats/details/individual players in sports, and for me, particularly baseball. When I was a kid, I could tell you who was leading in HRs, hits, batting average, could name a ton of players on every team, and come allstar time, knew pretty much every player.

Watching the HR derby last night, I don't know who any of these players are. Maybe 3 or 4. And I have no idea who is leading in the major categories.

I don't know if this is me getting older and you jsut don't care as much, or if sports in general are changing, and there just aren't the star power there was when I was a kid. Or a mix of both.
I was the same way. Me and a buddy played roto baseball growing up - and this was before online fantasy, so we used box scores from the newspaper every morning to calculate scores. Then I played fantasy and was still interested until maybe 10 years ago. Now I pay very little attention, other than the Yankees, and even them, I'm not as diehard about. Part of it is just getting older, but part of it is the sport. Honestly, I've become less patient as I get older and I don't like just sitting there watching not much happen for three hours.

MWB

MLB

Postby MWB » Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:35 pm

at the risk of opening this can of worms back up, you guys would say that Mike Trout is more marketable than Bryce Harper right?

I'd agree with that now because Harper is near irrelevant in Philly but when Harper was with the Nats, Harper was by far more marketable. He was on a playoff team and he was very charismatic. Harper's home run derby win (the one IN DC) was a bigger moment for the sport than any single moment Trout has had in the big leagues.

if you ask people who don't really follow baseball who the better player is/was, Derek Jeter or Mike Trout, I'd guarantee you most of them would say Jeter. Which isn't true at all, but Jeter was a lot more marketable than Trout. Jeter played for the Yankees, was good enough and was also good looking and charismatic. Trout plays for a less significant team and doesn't have the same public image that Jeter had

I'm actually glad this conversation came up because this is what I was trying to articulate about Trout before but I couldn't really find the right words: Trout isn't very marketable for someone with his skill.
I think this has almost everything to do with where he plays and his team's lack of success. If you play on the west coast, you have to have something beyond just baseball talent to be marketable (Bonds, Ichiro) or you need to be in the playoffs consistently so that people see you.

DigitalGypsy66

MLB

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:18 pm

If Mike Trout sat down next to me on this bench, I wouldn't recognize him.

My kids -including the one who played year round travel ball - can't be bothered to watch baseball. A couple of years ago his travel team was playing a tournament during the World Series, and none of the kids could name the team playing.

My kids can both rattle off random NBA and NFL stats, and follow both sports closely. They also don't care about NHL, either, but that's a regional thing. FFS, my son spotted an NFL OL while we were on vacation in HHI (Poona Ford, who is from Hilton Head).

When I was their age, we used to go away to the OBX for two weeks each summer - that alone would be difficult for a number of reasons today - but I used to go the Texaco in Waves and got a newspaper almost everyday to check the Pirates box score, stats, and all star voting numbers daily.

Baseball is off the radar, unfortunately, for this generation.

To be honest, I'm not crazy about the current product either. Games are too long, too much pitcher coddling, no base stealing, bench players have to play every position to get on a roster because of huge bullpens, and a few other grievances. I do love live minor league and college baseball though.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

MLB

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:20 pm

it's weird. I love baseball. I'm driving up to Philly in August and I'm stopping in DC to watch a Nats game

I don't follow baseball as much as I used to. I follow the NHL, NBA and NFL as much as I used to but the MLB has fallen off for me. I think it's the length and general inaction that has plagued the game in recent years (most at bats are either a home run, strikeout or walk)

NAN

MLB

Postby NAN » Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:50 pm

These Allstars unis are pooh.

faftorial

MLB

Postby faftorial » Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:57 pm

Those AL uniforms "look like something out of a softball league".

--My fathers comment on those all black uni's the Bucs wore in the mid '70's.

willeyeam

MLB

Postby willeyeam » Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:19 pm

Liam Hendriks micd up and not being able to find the zone is golden

willeyeam

MLB

Postby willeyeam » Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:20 pm

shafnutz05

MLB

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:04 am

That's a good point about Trout DG. I follow the sport but rarely watch live games. I could Google his head shot now and "recognize him" but no way I would realize if he sat down next to me in street clothes.

shafnutz05

MLB

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:30 pm

This is great, and includes a relief pitcher grand slam.

NAN

MLB

Postby NAN » Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:50 pm

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/darren-b ... -mlb-draft

If you want to feel old, Dusty Baker's kid was drafted. Yes, the same one that ran onto the field during the 2002 WS.