MalkinIsMyHomeboy

MLB

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:04 am

Cleveland changed their name to the Guardians

sounds like a AA club in Indianapolis’ name

Sam's Drunk Dog

MLB

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:06 am

Cleveland Guardians sounds like they came up with the name by combining garbage and Indians to create one word.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

MLB

Postby LITT » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:11 am

i actually love the name

for those unfamiliar there are 'guardians of transportation' carved in to the cleveland bridge. they are iconic for the sad souls that live there

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

MLB

Postby meow » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:17 am

There are worse names.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

MLB

Postby count2infinity » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:47 am

Much of my family in Cleveland anticipated that should the name ever change, it would likely become the Guardians. Most of them were pretty happy about it (edit: and by it, I mean the name option, not the change). It's the right move, imo.

dodint

MLB

Postby dodint » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:47 am

Cleveland Fire is the only name that should have been considered.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

MLB

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:00 am

I really hope WFT stays so and doesn’t go with a cheesy nickname

willeyeam

MLB

Postby willeyeam » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:00 am

thought they should have went with the Spiders. or Tribe, but I can understand why they didn't do that

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

MLB

Postby count2infinity » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:05 am

Yup... Spiders was the only other name that I thought would have gone well.

MR25

MLB

Postby MR25 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:07 am

Why not just Cleveland Rocks

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

MLB

Postby meow » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:16 am

Spiders why?

willeyeam

MLB

Postby willeyeam » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:19 am

They used to be the Spiders

willeyeam

MLB

Postby willeyeam » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:20 am

I guess I shouldn't say they used to be the Spiders. But there used to be a National League team in Cleveland called the Spiders. Different franchises

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

MLB

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:21 am

Tomas

MLB

Postby Tomas » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:32 am

I really hope WFT stays so and doesn’t go with a cheesy nickname
If they branded it as "Washington FT", maybe. But this way whenever I see the acronym painted on the grass, I always get it as the permutation...

Dickie Dunn

MLB

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:44 am

Name is fine. Not a fan of the font or logo.

shafnutz05

MLB

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:19 pm

Man, Major League is going to become a collector's item.

Agree with DD, I like the name but that logo is hot ass.

willeyeam

MLB

Postby willeyeam » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:22 pm

dodint

MLB

Postby dodint » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:27 pm

I find it interesting that they're changing this mostly because of angry white people, and now both of those teams (Redskins and Indians) are dropping all references to Native American culture. Which is kind of what white folks are known for, eradicating minority influence. They're so power-woke they couldn't go with something more neutral like "Tribe", now there is no representation at all for that group in those franchises. Bravo. :lol:

count2infinity

MLB

Postby count2infinity » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:18 pm

Out of curiousity... why would there be that representation in those franchises? Like, I get the FSU Seminoles. It's specific and the tribe itself loves it. I understand the Redskins changing... It's a racial slur (or at least used to be). I guess both sides for the Indians, I don't really get. Why were people so upset over the name and who were they? My guess is because they had nothing better to do and silly white people respectively. In addition to that, who is upset with the decision to change it? Again, silly white people with nothing better to do.

The school system that my daughter will most likely go to (unless we move and I don't see that happening) has a mascot called the red raiders and it's an angry indian as a mascot. There's been discussion of changing it and the anger, mostly coming from people with Trump signs on their yard still, about the change is mind boggling to me. Are you really that wrapped up with the name that you're willing to go to school board meetings and rant about it? You identify that hard as a red raider? I mean the solution is pretty easy... drop the red or change the logo to pirate or both.

I guess my overarching point is: the people that are upset about the change... why?

dodint

MLB

Postby dodint » Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:22 pm

If I thought they were clever enough I'd assert they were feigning wokeness to whitewash Native American imagery out of popular culture. I don't think they're that bright, though.

Gaucho

MLB

Postby Gaucho » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:51 pm

shafnutz05

MLB

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:37 pm

I find it interesting that they're changing this mostly because of angry white people, and now both of those teams (Redskins and Indians) are dropping all references to Native American culture. Which is kind of what white folks are known for, eradicating minority influence. They're so power-woke they couldn't go with something more neutral like "Tribe", now there is no representation at all for that group in those franchises. Bravo. :lol:
Yeah, same idea with Aunt Jemima, etc. I recall her great grandson being really upset about that change.

Like you said, woke white people (especially white women) seem to get off on telling minorities how they should feel, when they should be offended, etc.

It's related to the "soft bigotry of low expectations" which is probably one of the most apt/intelligent phrases ever uttered by 43.

Tomas

MLB

Postby Tomas » Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:44 pm

Out of curiousity... why would there be that representation in those franchises? Like, I get the FSU Seminoles. It's specific and the tribe itself loves it. I understand the Redskins changing... It's a racial slur (or at least used to be). I guess both sides for the Indians, I don't really get. Why were people so upset over the name and who were they? My guess is because they had nothing better to do and silly white people respectively. In addition to that, who is upset with the decision to change it? Again, silly white people with nothing better to do.

The school system that my daughter will most likely go to (unless we move and I don't see that happening) has a mascot called the red raiders and it's an angry indian as a mascot. There's been discussion of changing it and the anger, mostly coming from people with Trump signs on their yard still, about the change is mind boggling to me. Are you really that wrapped up with the name that you're willing to go to school board meetings and rant about it? You identify that hard as a red raider? I mean the solution is pretty easy... drop the red or change the logo to pirate or both.

I guess my overarching point is: the people that are upset about the change... why?
ESPN had an interesting article today about the fact, that US teams have been dropping the "Indians" name over the last half-century:
In 1972, the athletic teams at Stanford, one of the preeminent schools in the United States, were known as the Indians. Following the objections of a group of Native American students, university ombudsperson Lois Amsterdam supported them in a blistering critique: "Sensitivity and awareness do not come easily when childish misrepresentations in games, history books and motion pictures make up a large part of our experience." The university president concurred. And like that, however noble the original intentions of the nickname may have been, however strong the association between fans and the name was, the Stanford Indians were no more....

Dartmouth in 1974 dropped its Indians nickname, saying it found "use of the [Indian] symbol in any form to be inconsistent with present institutional and academic objectives of the College in advancing Native American education." William & Mary abandoned it in 1977, St. Bonaventure in 1979 and Louisiana-Monroe in 2006. Over the past 50 years, no fewer than 15 colleges in the United States have dropped the nickname Indians in favor of something less polarizing
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/305 ... ry-overdue

Troy Loney

MLB

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:29 pm

Guardians looking good