You know what really grinds my gears...

LeopardLetang

Postby LeopardLetang » Sun May 09, 2021 1:46 pm

I don't understand what emmy event drive-ins at the Rose Bowl and they are stacked 2 deep on weekends means in the slightest and it's grinding my gears because i keep trying to understand using context clues from your sentences below the quote.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Sun May 09, 2021 1:53 pm

Same

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sun May 09, 2021 1:59 pm

This isn’t really gear grinding, but I think it’s weird for people to wish their wives happy Mother’s Day on FB.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon May 10, 2021 12:49 am

The TV Academy is hosting events at the Rose Bowl where episodes of nominated shows are screened for audiences who watch from their cars a la drive-in theaters. Guy has produced 20-ish episodes of a web series and now tries to pawn himself off as a mogul. They constantly post photos of themselves with celebrities, like this is their lifestyle. But they're always from events where the celebrities are contractually obligated to pose for pictures with paid attendees. So if you're back in podunk Pennsyltucky you think "ooooh, how posh", but if you have any conception of how stuff like this works, you realize they're one of 500 photos that person posed for that afternoon, and names were probably not exchanged.

During awards season, they post their selfies with all winners as soon as the award is handed out, like they're pals. They are, bluntly, the shallowest people I know.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon May 10, 2021 6:40 am

Sounds like the kind of people I have no interest in hanging out with.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon May 10, 2021 7:56 am

You are better off for this turn of events

LeopardLetang

Postby LeopardLetang » Mon May 10, 2021 8:46 am

Yeah they don't sound too fun but still. They're getting bombarded? So you make it sound like there aren't any events for them to go to. But you also say they found something better to do. So they just don't want to be in public. But they'd have to pose with those celebrities which is more dangerous than hanging by your pool.

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Mon May 10, 2021 9:25 am

The TV Academy is hosting events at the Rose Bowl where episodes of nominated shows are screened for audiences who watch from their cars a la drive-in theaters. Guy has produced 20-ish episodes of a web series and now tries to pawn himself off as a mogul. They constantly post photos of themselves with celebrities, like this is their lifestyle. But they're always from events where the celebrities are contractually obligated to pose for pictures with paid attendees. So if you're back in podunk Pennsyltucky you think "ooooh, how posh", but if you have any conception of how stuff like this works, you realize they're one of 500 photos that person posed for that afternoon, and names were probably not exchanged.

During awards season, they post their selfies with all winners as soon as the award is handed out, like they're pals. They are, bluntly, the shallowest people I know.
and this is your best friend? because it doesn't sound like you have a very high opinion of him......or is it the wife pulling the strings?

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon May 10, 2021 1:40 pm

His dad was an oncologist who saved my mother's life in the 90s, and I was his Best Man at his wedding (he would've been mine if we had bridal parties). We moved to California together in 1997 and were roommates for 18 months. There was a stretch of probably 7 or 8 years where we did not go more than 2 - maybe 3 - consecutive days without seeing each other; we were like a manzai comedy duo.

But the guy was and remains extremely status-conscious. His dad would gift him and his sister $10,000 every year (apparently this was some sort of tax dodge?), and yet we'd show up for group outings to see a movie and stand in line for 30 minutes to get tickets, and only when we got to the boxoffice would he say, "Hey, I'm short on cash, can you spot me ticket money?" Since he got into producing, he's just........ weird. I know probably 20 or 25 people who go to a combination of the big film festivals every year. Cannes, Sundance, Toronto, Venice, etc....... he's the only one who posts photos of his tickets/passes every season. He posts photos of his Emmy and PGA ballots. He's desperate to present himself as relevant or 'important'. And, like I said, it's just so weird. Because he is attempting to inflate his presence in the industry, but all he's really doing is minimizing himself because if you have any real sense of how the entertainment industry works you know in an instant his relationship (if that's the right word) with these people is 100% transactional, not professional, and entirely momentary.

Like I said, this current thing boils down to "We have the opportunity to attend an event where we can watch a TV show that we can otherwise watch on-demand on our TV in our living room, but it will be in a setting where we're amongst the Cool Kids, so........... can we maybe hang out together with actual people for the first time in 15 months at a later date when it's less onerous on our public image?"

I mean, it's depressing because the way this is unfolding it may be the last time I ever want to hang out with this guy.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri May 14, 2021 12:02 pm

people that respond "sure" to a yes/no question

idk it irks me. "sure" is such an unimpassioned, lukewarm response. if you don't want to do it say no

Kane

Postby Kane » Fri May 14, 2021 1:58 pm

I asked out my wife when we were 17. She hit me with a sure and it is still a running gag.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri May 14, 2021 1:59 pm

I asked out my wife when we were 17. She hit me with a sure and it is still a running gag.
My wife's response to my marriage proposal was 'okay'. :lol:

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri May 14, 2021 2:05 pm

We were already venue shopping for a couple months before I formally proposed to Mrs Tif. The plans I had for the actual day fell to s**t, so when the moment actually came it was honestly kind of lame. I still went through it the way I had intended - I quoted Everlong lyrics, and asked her to marry me - but instead of in front of the fountains at the Bellagio, it was in a dark hotel room overlooking downtown Vegas. A solid 10 seconds of silence followed, and then she said, "For real?"

So. Yeah.

Kane

Postby Kane » Fri May 14, 2021 2:06 pm

:roll: Women.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Fri May 14, 2021 3:01 pm

Everlong lyrics. So tif

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri May 14, 2021 3:19 pm

Everlong lyrics. So tif
Peak tif tbh

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Fri May 14, 2021 8:31 pm

I had two of the three major networks and Fox Philly cover my engagement. Seriously. Hit Good Morning America...Weekend.

genoscoif

Postby genoscoif » Sat May 15, 2021 12:44 am

Everlong lyrics. So tif
Peak tif tbh
And I wonder...
um... Will you, like, marry me or something.....please?

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon May 17, 2021 11:23 am

Wikipedia having mobile urls that render the mobile view on desktop (when the original link was grabbed from a mobile device). Just have one url that correctly renders on the device reactively you fools

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Mon May 17, 2021 11:25 am

Wikipedia having mobile urls that render the mobile view on desktop (when the original link was grabbed from a mobile device). Just have one url that correctly renders on the device reactively you fools
I'm sure that they could use programmers who can donate their time to make those changes.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon May 17, 2021 1:03 pm

How much money have you given to Wikipedia in response to Jimmy Wales' pleas?

As an aside, I was surprised to learn his net worth is only in the neighborhood of $1 million.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue May 18, 2021 10:13 pm

Electrician is scheduled to come out tomorrow, and told me he’d be there first thing in the morning. Perfect, that’s what I wanted. I get an email about 15 minutes ago (just before 10pm) stating that he’d be here around 11-1. Wtf man, I asked you to schedule a morning for a reason.

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Tue May 18, 2021 10:33 pm

It's possible he got a call tonight that he's going to take care of first thing in the AM and will get you second. Depending on what your needs are and the needs of the other customer it may be reasonable.

Either way it's frustrating. I hired a contractor to remodel a 3BR house and the contract stated work would start on 5/5 and be completed by 5/15. They started demo yesterday and didn't show up today.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue May 18, 2021 11:03 pm

maybe he doesn't wake up until 10:30

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Thu May 20, 2021 8:21 pm

AA using the bag claims way the hell at the end of the terminal while the ones right by the moving walk go unused.