You know what really grinds my gears...

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:11 pm

Roku tv in the bedroom doesn't blare ads, but does take a few clicks to get to where we need to do because of how the OS loads.
what do you mean? Hulu is my live tv app and I can click that on the remote to both turn on the tv and have it open the Hulu app

really my only issue is that that the remote doesn't have programmable buttons. My remote has Disney+, ESPN, Prime and Youtube as 4 of the 6 (Netflix and Hulu being the other others) and there will be very few times I actively click those. I wish I could change them to my xbox input, HBO, etc

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:12 pm

When I finish work and put on the downstairs TV in the background while I do dishes, etc., it's either on Man vs. Food or My Lottery Dream Home, which I'm perfectly fine with. :lol:

And that kinda goes to why I prefer not having to fiddle with anything. I just tell Alexa to turn on the TV while I'm doing something else and I'm set. It'd be annoying if I had to always walk over, launch the app, select something, etc. Minor/dumb complaint, though.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:15 pm

re: dodint and NTP, that's why I don't think I can ever give up live tv. I can watch a wide variety of shows but with live tv I feel less tied down to any of them and it helps with the selection process (rather than having to choose from thousands of shows across multiple apps, I have maybe 50 or so channels and if I don't like something I can move off of it pretty easily)

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:17 pm

If I had to guess, 99% of my TV time is watching recorded shows on TiVo, with the other 1% being live TV. And even then, it's either background TV while I do something else, or if I'm waiting for my wife to start a show. A great example is when my wife and daughter read at night. That's my time to watch Everybody Loves Raymond live.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:19 pm

Roku tv in the bedroom doesn't blare ads, but does take a few clicks to get to where we need to do because of how the OS loads.
what do you mean? Hulu is my live tv app and I can click that on the remote to both turn on the tv and have it open the Hulu app

really my only issue is that that the remote doesn't have programmable buttons. My remote has Disney+, ESPN, Prime and Youtube as 4 of the 6 (Netflix and Hulu being the other others) and there will be very few times I actively click those. I wish I could change them to my xbox input, HBO, etc
We use YTTV in our bedroom almost 100% of the time. There is no YTTV button on the roku remote. So hit power, it turns on, and like two presses to get to the YTTV icon and launch it. It's not anything major, but it's still not instant. I can't remember what 4 buttons are on the remote to get direct access to things but I know it's not YTTV.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:21 pm

With Google TV (Chromecast? Is it still called that?) and YTTV, you turn on using the Google remote and then navigate to YTTV. It's usually one of the suggested or recently viewed options.

The annoying issue we have with this setup is that each Google account has its own account on Google TV and YTTV. So I'll turn it on, select my Google TV account, and then open up YTTV which by default is on the previous user's account...which is usually my wife's account. Or vice versa with her, which makes finding DVR'd shows fun - which account is logged in? Is the YTTV account correct?

If I log in and see a bunch of Hallmark ****, it's my wife's account. :lol:

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:21 pm

It'd be nice if these TV manufacturers included a programmable button on the remote to launch whatever app you wanted. I get why they have Netflix, Prime, etc. buttons, because they're being paid, but it'd be a welcome benefit to everyone. I think I have only ever seen a single remote that had a YouTube button on it.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:25 pm

You can side load the FireStick remote to change those buttons.

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:20 pm

CNN having limited article readings per day and making me sign up for a free account. Don't got time for that.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:22 pm

Privacy mode/incognito tabs will get around those, won't they?

Ad@m

Postby Ad@m » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:40 pm

CNN having limited article readings per day and making me sign up for a free account. Don't got time for that.

My local newspaper is the same. I read 3 articles and then they want me to pay. I just press close tabs and clear data and continue reading the next article. :lol:

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:54 pm

Privacy mode/incognito tabs will get around those, won't they?

Not entirely from my experience

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:39 pm

Got a letter in the mail from Delta Dental about a data breach. Second one in as many weeks, so another 24 months of identity protection. This is getting absurd.
Just got another one from LoanDepot.com. I don’t recall using them, but I guess I could have created an account to check rates or something. So another 24 months of free credit monitoring. I think I’m up to 4 or 5 different monitoring solutions thanks to breaches, and I expect another one thanks to the recent AT&T breach.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:10 pm

Got a letter in the mail from Delta Dental about a data breach. Second one in as many weeks, so another 24 months of identity protection. This is getting absurd.
Just got another one from LoanDepot.com. I don’t recall using them, but I guess I could have created an account to check rates or something. So another 24 months of free credit monitoring. I think I’m up to 4 or 5 different monitoring solutions thanks to breaches, and I expect another one thanks to the recent AT&T breach.
I got that one too. I have no clue who Loan Depot is.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:27 pm

I assume that everybody has my data and every password is compromised. It is what it is. Two factor identification and an awareness of bank activity is all you can really do. Your data is out there.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:44 pm

My ex employer had one of it's products (different sub company than what I was in) hacked by a Russian hacking gang and it's now at 100mm people's PID being exposed. Lawsuits coming from all directions and a SEC investigation. Serves them right with their business model of buying "mature" tech companies, laying off most of the employees and sending the product to India to be put in maintenance mode.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:08 pm

I got that one too. I have no clue who Loan Depot is.
You know, I wonder if they were the back end source for loan searches (refinancing, etc.), because I definitely did not do business with them. I don't even have a login to their site saved.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:10 pm

At any rate, both my wife and I have had our credit frozen permanently for a while now. If I have to apply for a card or something, I simply schedule a 'thaw', submit the application, and it automatically resets. Works for us.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:13 pm

Same.

I swear you told me a while ago that it was too hard to do that every time. I must be thinking of someone else.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:16 pm

My only issue was self-inflicted - I looked up who Chase used for CSP approvals, thawed just that one, and it hit a different agency. :lol: Had it approved the next day.

As for the LoanDepot thing, according to comments on Reddit, they purchase financial information from other companies, so that's how they got our info. I really wish that were illegal. And yes, I'm sure it was in the fine print of something I agreed to, like one of my loan applications or refinances.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:27 pm

isn’t Loan Depot owned by Dan Gilbert aka the Cleveland Cavs owner?

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:20 pm

Dan Gilbert owns quicken loans

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:47 pm

Waking up at 2 am, not being able to get back to sleep until 5, than the alarm goes off at 6 when you are in the absolute deepest sleep and you have no idea wtf is going on :x

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:16 pm

So, I got someone sitting across from me that has just been clicking his pen over and over and over and over again for like 3 or 4 days now. He just gave his two weeks notice last week though.

It is driving me crazy. I guess the question is, do I just suck it up for a few more days and let him ride off into the sunset, or do I go over and just smack him in the face and say quit clicking your pen ******.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:28 pm

Out click him.