Browns at Steelers- GDT - Wild Card Weekend

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:33 am

I think my fear, is how are they going to re-vamp the O-line? 3 of those positions need addressed immediately and if Ben comes back, I also wonder if Pouncey knew the writing is on the wall and it's either time to retire, or he gets cut too.

He hasn't been good dating back to last year.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:37 am

Speaking of LBs was Williamson hurt or something last night?

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:45 am

As it currently stands, the Steelers are $21MM over the projected 2021 cap with 36 players signed. JuJu, Conner, Al, Sutton, Hilton, Dupree, and Alualu headline the free agency list. Cutting Pouncey, DeCastro, and Haden would change that cap figure to $2MM in space, enough to sign Derek Watt again. This team’s cap and roster problems are immense.
Last edited by Dickie Dunn on Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:46 am

Just coached by the morons responsible for **** like this:

Sam's Drunk Dog

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:50 am

If Tomlin isn't fired, which we all know won't happen, then both Butler and Fichtner need to go

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:00 am

Firing Butler is purely ornamental, imo. This has and continues to be Tomlin's called defense.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:01 am

As it currently stands, the Steelers are $21MM over the projected 2021 cap with 36 players signed. JuJu, Conner, Al, Sutton, Hilton, Dupree, and Alualu headline the free agency list. Cutting Pouncey, DeCastro, and Haden would change that cap figure to $2MM in space, enough to sign Derek Watt again. This team’s cap and roster problems are immense.
That's kind of why I think it's time to cut Ben, and deal with the cap problem now - instead of kicking it down the road. Team isn't good enough to win everything, and even if they make these moves and retain people, it' s not bad enough to get good picks.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:03 am

Just coached by the morons responsible for **** like this:

Yeah, I was screaming at the TV. Spillane on a WR was stupid stupid stupid, even more stupid that 80 was the ONLY WR ON THE FIELD

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:21 am

That's kind of why I think it's time to cut Ben, and deal with the cap problem now - instead of kicking it down the road. Team isn't good enough to win everything, and even if they make these moves and retain people, it' s not bad enough to get good picks.
Cutting only Ben leaves the team $2.8MM over the cap, which kind of was my original point. I completely agree with you that it’s best to handle the cap situation now, but I’m not sure it’s possible given the dead money associated with these deals.

Cutting Ben, Haden, Pouncey, and DeCastro gives you $20MM in cap space with 32 players under contract. That’s still not enough cap space to work with. Adding Nelson, Vince, Tuitt, and Vance to that list gives you $40MM in space with only 28 players. $64MM in dead money to create $40MM in cap space with a completely gutted roster just isn’t going to get it done. Player retirement doesn’t even save you from dead money. There might be a retirement and someone might get cut, but it won’t be Ben. Like usual, expect A LOT of restructured deals as they have plenty of cap space in 2022.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:30 am

How do the Steelers obtain Deshaun Watson. Asking for a friend.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:35 am

My buddy said juju and Benny snell ought to do it. :lol:

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:35 am

Watt.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:36 am

Tomlin had them as prepared as Capitol Police

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:54 am

Cutting only Ben leaves the team $2.8MM over the cap, which kind of was my original point. I completely agree with you that it’s best to handle the cap situation now, but I’m not sure it’s possible given the dead money associated with these deals.

Cutting Ben, Haden, Pouncey, and DeCastro gives you $20MM in cap space with 32 players under contract. That’s still not enough cap space to work with. Adding Nelson, Vince, Tuitt, and Vance to that list gives you $40MM in space with only 28 players. $64MM in dead money to create $40MM in cap space with a completely gutted roster just isn’t going to get it done. Player retirement doesn’t even save you from dead money. There might be a retirement and someone might get cut, but it won’t be Ben. Like usual, expect A LOT of restructured deals as they have plenty of cap space in 2022.
That's kind of why I'm for scorched earth. Take the hit now, start fresh in two years after you've had two years of high draft picks.

Restructure whatever you need to do to get guys to fill spots, but I'd much rather just them admit the team isn't going to compete than hodge podge it together and never crack the top 10 in the draft.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:08 pm

Seeing that the Steelers actually somewhat clawed back into the game last night makes me all the happier I turned it off at 7-0. I would have went into a rage on that drive with the Spillane on Landry nonsense.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:11 pm

I'm with ya morkle. They aren't going anywhere next year. Best case is another early playoff exit. They kicked the cap can down the road up to this point, its time to face the reality that they aren't good enough to win and deal with the cap reality for a year.

In the meantime, they need to rebuild that O line and find a quarterback. I prefer trading up in the draft as opposed to trading for an established one. Let them be Ben's understudy for a year. Or if Ben retires, sign a journeyman.

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:39 pm

Watt.
Derek? They can have him.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:49 pm

I'm sorry, but how is Tomlin the scape goat here? The Steelers played the exact same team, on an away field mind you, the week before with a bunch of scrubs and nearly pulled it off. The only thing that changed were the players and the field. The stakes were much higher for the Steelers in the second game, but are you telling me they coached a hell of a game in game 17 and a stinker in the playoffs? Was the game plan that different? Did Tomlin snap the ball into the end zone or throw 4 interceptions?

One thing is for sure, you can have the best game plan in the world but once you're down 14-0 less than 3 minutes into the game, that game plan is scrapped.

If you want to talk about Tomlin's choices as coordinators I'm all ears. But as far as head coach is concerned, I have no issues with him.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:58 pm

Liken it to Tony Dungy. Heck of regular season coach, awful for the most part in playoffs. Tampa went through this exact scenario with a better team and they fired him for playoff failures.

I'd much rather the team focus on playoff success, rather than being winners in the regular season. That screams caps mentality to me, and they finally changed and won.

He won't get fired, but it's time to tell him to let his DC call defense and him worry about the rest.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:03 pm

I'm sorry, but how is Tomlin the scape goat here? The Steelers played the exact same team, on an away field mind you, the week before with a bunch of scrubs and nearly pulled it off. The only thing that changed were the players and the field. The stakes were much higher for the Steelers in the second game, but are you telling me they coached a hell of a game in game 17 and a stinker in the playoffs? Was the game plan that different? Did Tomlin snap the ball into the end zone or throw 4 interceptions?

One thing is for sure, you can have the best game plan in the world but once you're down 14-0 less than 3 minutes into the game, that game plan is scrapped.

If you want to talk about Tomlin's choices as coordinators I'm all ears. But as far as head coach is concerned, I have no issues with him.
I don't think Tomlin should be fired and by and large he's done pretty well the past two years considering all things. But they've been wildly unprepared for their last two playoff games and that's on him

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:04 pm

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:05 pm

gtfo with the Cowher's players thing though

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:06 pm

"lost to aaron rodgers and the 6 seed packers" aka the SUPER BOWL man that is a biased graphic lol

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:07 pm

:lol: That's making the rounds at r/steelers today.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:09 pm

Seeing that the Steelers actually somewhat clawed back into the game last night makes me all the happier I turned it off at 7-0. I would have went into a rage on that drive with the Spillane on Landry nonsense.
That was literally 3 or so plays after he punted from the 40 on 4th and 1.