Browns at Steelers- GDT - Wild Card Weekend

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:20 am

I feel like Ben makes this decision for us and retires.
I tend to think the other way, he's got something like 40 million reasons to not retire.
When you already have eleventy billion dollars, does that matter?
I mean...yea, everyone always wants more money lol.

But look at it this way, Ben has been "loyal" to the team and continually worked with them to help their cap situation. He's never had to focus on himself, so he has all the right in the world to do it now when the largest payment of his career *I think* is there if he just shows up.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:23 am

Also regarding Ben from a competitor standpoint:

Minus the picks, I’m telling myself I’ve still got it and just suffered from some bad luck and a slow start.
Last edited by Dickie Dunn on Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:23 am

I tend to think the other way, he's got something like 40 million reasons to not retire.

But look at it this way, Ben has been "loyal" to the team and continually worked with them to help their cap situation. He's never had to focus on himself, so he has all the right in the world to do it now when the largest payment of his career *I think* is there if he just shows up.
Probably.

I also watched a man cry at the end of a playoff game. In which he was the root cause of an embarrassing loss. Against a typical laughing stock. I don’t know. Smells like it’s the end to me. When was the last time we saw him smile?

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:25 am

Ya know, if you ignore the first quarter, the Steelers won that game bigly. It's clear there was some fraud going on in that first quarter. Stop the steal. The steelers actually won. How does no one else see this?!?!?

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:25 am

Source of the post When was the last time we saw him smile?
He lost his smile?

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:36 am

Probably.

I also watched a man cry at the end of a playoff game. In which he was the root cause of an embarrassing loss. Against a typical laughing stock. I don’t know. Smells like it’s the end to me. When was the last time we saw him smile?
I tend to agree. I think this is "it" and he either retires or the Steelers cut him due to cap constraints.

I think they're largely screwed either way. Retain him and lose everyone, cut him and maybe re-sign Bud, but what's the point if you're gonna try and get a QB in the draft in say 2021-2022?

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:38 am

What about Cameron Newton as a stop gap for a year or two until you develop someone?

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:38 am

i'd take ben over Cam

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:40 am

I’d rather direct snap to Conner for an entire season

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:41 am

Cam's shoulder is completely gone, imo. I'd rather take a stab at Trubisky if we're going that route - and even then that still requires a ridiculous amount of convincing.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:42 am

Signing Cam would be like picking up Patrick Marleau at the deadline.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:43 am

Kaep?

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:49 am

Figure out a way to get Dak here

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:49 am

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:50 am

I never realized how much r/nfl hates Ben...

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:51 am

Couple of thoughts:
1) Getting down 28 pts in the first 15 minutes was a master stroke by Tomlin to hide how bad the Steelers run game is.
2) At least half the time those early picks hit the ground, its unusual that both passes wind up tipped and in a defenders hands.
3) It would have been a game if the defense was mildly interested. Three first quarter drives that winning defenses would have held to a field goal at least once.
4) People dodinting about Ben on the opening play can get bent. Connor has better hands and a step on him. In a perfect world he would have bookended Connor but people talking about him kicking it out of the end zone are bat **** crazy. Sure, ask the QB to kick a spinning ball 14 yards (which also points out that the ball was still very much out of the end zone).

Last night didn't expose any new flaws. They are who we thought they were. Even after ridiculously bad luck to start the game, they were still one stop away from playing for the win.

They aren't a championship team, and they aren't particularly close, but everybody has known that for the last six weeks.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:54 am

There's only one answer...

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:54 am

So, cut pouncey and roethlisberger, restructure one or two of those other guys that have 15mm 2021 cap hits. Resign one of Dupree and juju. And hopefully have an all star draft.

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:01 am

Ya know, if you ignore the first quarter, the Steelers won that game bigly. It's clear there was some fraud going on in that first quarter. Stop the steal. The steelers actually won. How does no one else see this?!?!?

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:02 am

Some speculation that the Drama Ben tears were for Pouncey, as he is retiring.

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:02 am

As well he should.

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:04 am

They probably should've had their little cry sesh in the locker room.

Trip McNeely

Postby Trip McNeely » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:09 am

So, cut pouncey and roethlisberger, restructure one or two of those other guys that have 15mm 2021 cap hits. Resign one of Dupree and juju. And hopefully have an all star draft.
I like Juju...but he’s a want more than a need at this point. Johnson, Claypool, Washington is very cheap and more than good enough. Add in the airhead Ebron and that’s plenty. Steelers can draft a wide receiver later in the draft if needed or just sign a run of the mill guy to play the 4th.

Dupree I would really like to see return on a one year deal. But it would need to be team friendly.

If pouncey retires, the Steelers save a decent chunk of money but then of course, he needs to be replaced. I’d rather go through the free agency track for a center because centers just aren’t really worth first rounders unless they are Pouncey-esque, which is rare

I’d let feiler, Villanueva walk. Bring back Banner. Draft a tackle. Let Dotson start. Lots of changes to the line, but guess what, the line was not good to begin with.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:15 am

No way you are getting Bud on a one year deal. Dude is going to need a massive contract. Juju will probably also demand a rather large contract, have to hope they could work out some kind of hometown discount, but it will still be a massive raise for Juju, and while not a huge raise for Bud, it would be a lot of guaranteed money.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:20 am

As much as I'd like to have Bud back I think you have to move on with Highsmith proving himself as serviceable at a much lower price