COVID-19

Viva la Ben

COVID-19

Postby Viva la Ben » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:30 am

Big ups to those who put their money where their mouth is.
Lots Of People Say They'll Quit Over Vaccine Mandates, But Research Shows Few Do
https://www.npr.org/2021/09/29/10415005 ... t-research

faftorial

COVID-19

Postby faftorial » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:30 am

People began retiring early and leaving low paying jobs before there was a vaccine. Since last year iirc.
Yeah, so this only compounds things. You have a large segment that retired and another segment that is fine doing gig jobs, and now you got the unvaxxed willing to leave, your candidate pool gets more difficult to find replacements. It's a visious cycle out there right now that may take a while to correct.
All of these people are just going to drop out of the labor market? As the mandate widens there will less and less opportunities for the unvaxxed.

Morkle

COVID-19

Postby Morkle » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:36 am

Yea, they're not going to unemployment to collect any of the Biden checks they keep ridiculing otherwise. They're going to have to make a choice to live in poverty or get the shot.

NAN

COVID-19

Postby NAN » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:04 am

People began retiring early and leaving low paying jobs before there was a vaccine. Since last year iirc.
Yeah, so this only compounds things. You have a large segment that retired and another segment that is fine doing gig jobs, and now you got the unvaxxed willing to leave, your candidate pool gets more difficult to find replacements. It's a visious cycle out there right now that may take a while to correct.
All of these people are just going to drop out of the labor market? As the mandate widens there will less and less opportunities for the unvaxxed.
Hence why I said short term issue for the business. These people that actually do quit, it won't be forever for the points you make.

I work for a manufacturing company and a handful of individuals on the floor missing really throws a wrench into things. And we are having a difficult time finding replacements for those people right now.

Salaried people, you just have the people who stick around and cover.

But I think the missing piece is you are not looking at the businesses side, especially for the short term. I mean look how many people got let go at I think meows place of business and those are medical professionals.

eddy

COVID-19

Postby eddy » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:14 am

I hope everyone just stops working finally realizing we do too much of it as is. Let everything crumble, reset to 3 day work week.

NTP66

COVID-19

Postby NTP66 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:17 am

There are posts every day on Reddit of people applying for jobs that advertise a specific hourly rate, only to be told in the interview that it's "for a different location", "a future rate once x happens", etc. Completely disingenuous.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

COVID-19

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:23 am

I hope everyone just stops working finally realizing we do too much of it as is. Let everything crumble, reset to 3 day work week.
I gave a reference for a coworker to a company that is piloting a 4 day work week. Ideally, if they like the company and the company extends the 4 day work week, I will be working there at some point too

I don't understand how people accept working 5 days, 40+ hours a week in jobs that aren't their true passions. I don't want to waste my life away working

thankfully, at least in the realm of software, companies are sort of competing with each other to get good workers and I think that will greatly benefit workers

NTP66

COVID-19

Postby NTP66 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:27 am

Source of the post I don't understand how people accept working 5 days, 40+ hours a week in jobs that aren't their true passions.
My career is a true passion, but I would still prefer a schedule of fewer than 40 hours/week.

MR25

COVID-19

Postby MR25 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:27 am

There are posts every day on Reddit of people applying for jobs that advertise a specific hourly rate, only to be told in the interview that it's "for a different location", "a future rate once x happens", etc. Completely disingenuous.

Or places say "we're hiring" and won't give a straight answer when asked what the hourly pay is.

NTP66

COVID-19

Postby NTP66 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:29 am

Or places say "we're hiring" and won't give a straight answer when asked what the hourly pay is.
Yep, that's pretty popular, too.

MR25

COVID-19

Postby MR25 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:34 am

I gave a reference for a coworker to a company that is piloting a 4 day work week. Ideally, if they like the company and the company extends the 4 day work week, I will be working there at some point too

I don't understand how people accept working 5 days, 40+ hours a week in jobs that aren't their true passions. I don't want to waste my life away working

thankfully, at least in the realm of software, companies are sort of competing with each other to get good workers and I think that will greatly benefit workers

Because we live in a society that requires you to earn money to live in it. Some people's passions aren't monetizable, or require specialized education that puts people into debt and requires them to work these jobs in order to pay off that debt.

TLDR Capitalism.

NAN

COVID-19

Postby NAN » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:57 am

I don't mind the 40 hours a week. It allows my wife and I to live the life we want to, while also having time with our family. We can move up the chain in both of our jobs, but don't want to sacrifice the work life balance we currently enjoy. With the money we make right now, we are like 4 years away from paying off our home, have a good retirement savings, good amount of money saved up for our kids education, live in a nice home, and live the life we want as well, going on trips, and enjoying our hobbies/passions w/o a worry. Hopefully it remains that way. And we are in our early 40s. All of this w/o working 60, 70 hours a week.

I wouldn't mind if people only want to work 3 days a week, as long as I don't have to support you and you are ok with making less money as there will have to be other individuals in your situation hired to cover your time as well. I mean, the things you want to enjoy in life takes workers to keep society moving forward. Pilots, hotel workers, etc, etc if that is what you are into.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

COVID-19

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:09 pm

of course bootlocker NAN defends 40 hour work weeks :slug:

seriously though, shorter work weeks should not necessarily mean lower salary. Studies have shown that more hours worked does not equate to more work done; people become less efficient the more hours they work. Of course this is a little complicated based on particular field (for those in support it’d more of a question of availability rather than efficiency) but in software this seems to hold true

Nuge

COVID-19

Postby Nuge » Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:13 pm

Morkle

COVID-19

Postby Morkle » Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:17 pm

I love my kid, but daycare closing every other week to COVID is killing me, my patience, and my work habits. Can't get **** done on days he's here.

NAN

COVID-19

Postby NAN » Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:26 pm

of course bootlocker NAN defends 40 hour work weeks :slug:

seriously though, shorter work weeks should not necessarily mean lower salary. Studies have shown that more hours worked does not equate to more work done; people become less efficient the more hours they work. Of course this is a little complicated based on particular field (for those in support it’d more of a question of availability rather than efficiency) but in software this seems to hold true
A lot of it has to do with availablility though. Again, I mentioned pilots, grocers, support, manufacturing, trucking, etc, etc. And the more people you have to hire for coverage, the more expensive it is, so yes, you will probably be paid less.

As for the drop in efficiency, I'm guessing that deals more with as you are approaching 50, 60, 70 hour work weeks. I know during month end closing, when I'm working those hours for the first 3 or 4 workdays, that's when I start to peter out and make mistakes.

shoeshine boy

COVID-19

Postby shoeshine boy » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:23 pm

my office has been 40/4 for probably 8 years now. I absolutely love it. when I look at other jobs in GDOT, if they don't work compressed work week I don't even bother to read the listing.

NAN

COVID-19

Postby NAN » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:26 pm

my office has been 40/4 for probably 8 years now. I absolutely love it. when I look at other jobs in GDOT, if they don't work compressed work week I don't even bother to read the listing.
My wife has 9/80s, so she gets every other Friday off. She does have a call those Friday mornings she's off just being at the level she is, but it is awesome.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

COVID-19

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:34 pm

oh and the company that I mentioned before isn’t doing 40/4 but 32/4, so it’s even better

skullman80

COVID-19

Postby skullman80 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:40 pm

I think in more service oriented industries its difficult. You have to have people to cover shifts, or certain times etc. Plus if you are hourly you still have to punch in and our right? Are time clocks still a thing? It's been so long since I've been hourly that I'm honestly not sure.

When you are salaried its much easier to manage I think. You aren't punching in or out. We are supposed to "work" 40 hours a week. No one really cares how you get there, or how you manage that at this point. Our core business hours are 10-3...you are expected to be available during those hours.

Outside of that...at least for my team and our managers ...no one really says anything. As long as stuff gets done it's all good. There is no micromanaging.

I don't understand why 40 hours is some magical number in most industries. If you are more efficient in getting things done then why just "work" to work.. it seems silly.
Last edited by skullman80 on Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Viva la Ben

COVID-19

Postby Viva la Ben » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:42 pm

Because that’s the way it’s always been done.

NTP66

COVID-19

Postby NTP66 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:44 pm

Probably should take this to the jobs thread at this point...

NTP66

COVID-19

Postby NTP66 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:46 pm

If you got the Johnson & Johnson vaccine as your first COVID shot, a booster dose of either the Moderna or Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine apparently could produce a stronger immune response than a second dose of J&J's vaccine. That's the finding of a highly anticipated study released Wednesday.

And if you started out with either Pfizer or Moderna, it probably doesn't matter that much, the research suggests, as long as you get one of the two mRNA vaccines as a booster.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

COVID-19

Postby meow » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:07 pm

I love my kid, but daycare closing every other week to COVID is killing me, my patience, and my work habits. Can't get **** done on days he's here.
Morkle hates his kid

nocera

COVID-19

Postby nocera » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:07 pm

When can us normal folk get a booster?