COVID-19

Troy Loney

COVID-19

Postby Troy Loney » Mon May 10, 2021 8:54 am

My thoughts are that we waited a year for the vaccine, and now that my household is vaccinated, I can do whatever. Back to going to restaurants and having friends over to the house.

Some people never stopped doing those things, but that doesn’t matter. And if people refusing to get the vaccine means I’ll have to wear a mask, fine, it sucks but I don’t care, wearing a mask is not a big deal.

But there are definitely things I’m not interested in doing if I have to wear a mask, like, I’m not going to go to summer concerts or hot summer events if it requires wearing the mask. But can’t let perfect be the enemy of good, I’m glad to start doing lots of things, and am not going to complain about the things aren’t available / or accessible yet

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

COVID-19

Postby meow » Mon May 10, 2021 9:00 am

We are basically back to normal. We had family friends over Saturday - four adults and four kids. Today, we went to the Mother’s Day brunch at our club. Some weird feelings. Anxious. Hesitation. Joy. A real sense of normalcy. Feels like the BC times.
Our first dose of normal will be this weekend. My wife has some key members of her team heading off for greener pasture (just the nature of the positions), so we’re hosting a bbq to send them off.

The whole crew is vaccinated and it’ll mostly be outside. But still, there’s an anxiousness to it that’s hard to describe beyond just that. Anxiousness.
I hit a point on Sunday, I was in the buffet line with line 60 other people, where I just thought to myself that the anxiousness was dumb, to trust the vaccine, and get back to feeling normal. It was like the first day of school or a new job feeling. Anxious, but definitely a “I can do this” vibe to it.
you took the kids to an indoor brunch with mixed company? was there any hesitation there? we're not doing that until the 2-11 shot is out there.
Yeah there was some hesitation, but the hesitation with our kids has always been a fear that they will spread it to others. Not a fear that they will have a poor outcome if they were to catch it. Now that the others are vaccinated, that fear is nearly zero.

shmenguin

COVID-19

Postby shmenguin » Mon May 10, 2021 9:01 am

the person working at home depot with their shnoz sticking out over their mask used to send me into a bad place. now i don't give a crap. aside from having friends over inside our house, that's pretty much the only difference pre/post vax. i've felt safe this whole time, so i'm not getting a new sense of relief or freedom.

but i'm going glamping with an old friend in a few weeks. i'd like to very much eat inside several restaurants that weekend.

shmenguin

COVID-19

Postby shmenguin » Mon May 10, 2021 9:01 am

We are basically back to normal. We had family friends over Saturday - four adults and four kids. Today, we went to the Mother’s Day brunch at our club. Some weird feelings. Anxious. Hesitation. Joy. A real sense of normalcy. Feels like the BC times.
Our first dose of normal will be this weekend. My wife has some key members of her team heading off for greener pasture (just the nature of the positions), so we’re hosting a bbq to send them off.

The whole crew is vaccinated and it’ll mostly be outside. But still, there’s an anxiousness to it that’s hard to describe beyond just that. Anxiousness.
I hit a point on Sunday, I was in the buffet line with line 60 other people, where I just thought to myself that the anxiousness was dumb, to trust the vaccine, and get back to feeling normal. It was like the first day of school or a new job feeling. Anxious, but definitely a “I can do this” vibe to it.
you took the kids to an indoor brunch with mixed company? was there any hesitation there? we're not doing that until the 2-11 shot is out there.
Yeah there was some hesitation, but the hesitation with our kids has always been a fear that they will spread it to others. Not a fear that they will have a poor outcome if they were to catch it. Now that the others are vaccinated, that fear is nearly zero.
this is a long way from the guy who used to boil his baby bottles between each use

meow

COVID-19

Postby meow » Mon May 10, 2021 9:03 am

That was seven years ago and I’ve been in healthcare for six years. Not a coincidence

willeyeam

COVID-19

Postby willeyeam » Mon May 10, 2021 9:05 am

do you still boil your hot dogs?

meow

COVID-19

Postby meow » Mon May 10, 2021 9:15 am

I’ve never boiled a hot dog

dodint

COVID-19

Postby dodint » Mon May 10, 2021 9:18 am

I have, but not as an adult.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

COVID-19

Postby count2infinity » Mon May 10, 2021 9:20 am

Then how do you make hot dog water for cocktails?

NTP66

COVID-19

Postby NTP66 » Mon May 10, 2021 9:23 am

Here's how.

meow

COVID-19

Postby meow » Mon May 10, 2021 9:25 am

I’m a Pfizer bro. Ask some Moderna lackey about their hot dog water

MrKennethTKangaroo

COVID-19

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon May 10, 2021 9:26 am

I'm actually ok with wearing masks in a lot of public places in the sense that when my gf and I see a fat yinzer with 10 hungry man frozen dinners, a gallon of turners, and an Entamann's pastry in their cart at the grocery store, we can talk sht and behind the privacy of our masks.

MrKennethTKangaroo

COVID-19

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon May 10, 2021 9:31 am

Also, I went out to eat twice this weekend. The only thing that made me squeamish was the amount of stuff I ingested at one sitting. Getting a chicken sandwich on a big bun, plus mac and cheese, plus two craft beers at lunch is too much for the kangaroo's stomach. I'm not going to sit here and act like I ate a perfect diet for the past 14 months, because I ate plenty of pizza and fast food. But i'm definitely not used to ingesting 32 oz of beer plus 1,100 calories from carbs at one sitting.

robbiestoupe

COVID-19

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon May 10, 2021 9:32 am

Source of the post Also, I went out to eat twice this weekend. The only thing that made me squeamish was the amount of stuff I ingested at one sitting. Getting a chicken sandwich on a big bun, plus mac and cheese, plus two craft beers at lunch is too much for the kangaroo's stomach. I'm not going to sit here and act like I ate a perfect diet for the past 14 months, because I ate plenty of pizza and fast food. But i'm definitely not used to ingesting 32 oz of beer plus 1,100 calories from carbs at one sitting.
Source of the post I see a fat yinzer with 10 hungry man frozen dinners, a gallon of turners, and an Entamann's pastry in their cart at the grocery store
Are you projecting your future self?

MrKennethTKangaroo

COVID-19

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon May 10, 2021 9:39 am

Well I've got the yinzer part locked up but if im gonna get fat, it will be on something more satisfying than hungry man

Morkle

COVID-19

Postby Morkle » Mon May 10, 2021 9:56 am

I can't even remember the last time I had a frozen TV meal like that...maybe when I was a kid? None of those things are appetizing in any way, and the only thing I really remember is how wet and chewy everything became.

Troy Loney

COVID-19

Postby Troy Loney » Mon May 10, 2021 10:23 am

Looking to depress and aggravate myself be reading this book.
According to Lewis' reporting, the CDC basically had two positions on the pandemic early on. Early on it was that there was nothing to see here — that this is not a big deal. It's being overblown. And then there was this very quick pivot when it started spreading in the U.S. and the position became it's too late and there's nothing we can do.

"Charity Dean said the great shame of their behavior was they waited so long that we were never in a position to contain it," Lewis says. "They pretended it wasn't important until it was too late. That it could have been contained the way it was contained, say, by Australia. There were things we could do, many, many. And [if] they'd been more aggressive right up front. Many, many thousands of Americans would be alive today who are not."

NTP66

COVID-19

Postby NTP66 » Mon May 10, 2021 10:24 am

Source of the post And [if] they'd been more aggressive right up front. Many, many thousands of Americans would be alive today who are not.
No **** ****.

robbiestoupe

COVID-19

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon May 10, 2021 10:30 am

Hopefully the 'roo understands I was ribbing him. One deserves a 1000 calorie, 32 oz beer night every once in a while. Especially with things opening up. I wonder if by Christmas time this year I'll be able to snag a cheap, used Peloton.

Frozen dinners are such a foreign concept to me nowadays. There are much better options for a quick, easy meal. I guess frozen pizzas are still a thing in my household, but has to be a decent brand. Not the cracker crust pizza

MrKennethTKangaroo

COVID-19

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon May 10, 2021 10:42 am

I am taking great offense and i'm going to spend the rest of my work day trying to come up with a witty retort.

shmenguin

COVID-19

Postby shmenguin » Mon May 10, 2021 10:53 am

Looking to depress and aggravate myself be reading this book.
According to Lewis' reporting, the CDC basically had two positions on the pandemic early on. Early on it was that there was nothing to see here — that this is not a big deal. It's being overblown. And then there was this very quick pivot when it started spreading in the U.S. and the position became it's too late and there's nothing we can do.

"Charity Dean said the great shame of their behavior was they waited so long that we were never in a position to contain it," Lewis says. "They pretended it wasn't important until it was too late. That it could have been contained the way it was contained, say, by Australia. There were things we could do, many, many. And [if] they'd been more aggressive right up front. Many, many thousands of Americans would be alive today who are not."
The virus was going to spread here regardless and it was going to turn into a cultural battleground.

There are some amount of lives in urban centers that would have been saved during the first wave if the CDC was more capable, but I don’t think we would have taken this thing seriously until the scare from last spring.

So I dunno...this kind of auditing is fine but it’s not really the reason why we were a global disgrace.

Troy Loney

COVID-19

Postby Troy Loney » Mon May 10, 2021 12:26 pm

The virus was going to spread here regardless and it was going to turn into a cultural battleground.

There are some amount of lives in urban centers that would have been saved during the first wave if the CDC was more capable, but I don’t think we would have taken this thing seriously until the scare from last spring.

So I dunno...this kind of auditing is fine but it’s not really the reason why we were a global disgrace.
I agree in part, but this is going to be one heck of an "I told you so". His prior book was a deep dive into a a couple of federal government agencies that explained the sort of "what could go wrong" risk events these agencies are tasked with mitigating. Things like providing warning for severe weather events, containing nuclear waste, managing the nuclear stockpiles, etc. And what happens to these things when you put in charge someone that doesn't care about the management of these agencies one iota, and appoints industry people who's intentions are either to undermine their capabilities or ease any/all regulatory burdens. The thesis was basically like, I picked these three agencies, but this applies to all of them, this administration has not had to counter a big risk (you could maybe point to hurricane maria, and they did not respond well to that).

So, anyway fast forward to early 2020, the big event of the Trump presidency is a pandemic. The CDC failed, remember that we had no testing at the beginning. So this is going to be a deep dive on what the CDC did wrong and what they should have done. It should be noted that in 2019, the US was like, by far, considered the country best prepared to manage a pandemic.

nocera

COVID-19

Postby nocera » Mon May 10, 2021 1:41 pm

Flyers and Penn Medicine offering COVID-19 shots at Monday’s game
https://www.inquirer.com/health/coronav ... 10508.html
Protection from the deadly virus won’t be the only upside. Anyone who gets a shot will receive a voucher for two free tickets to a Flyers game next season, as well as an “I Took My Shot” T-shirt, hand sanitizer, and a sticker, according to an announcement Saturday.

NTP66

COVID-19

Postby NTP66 » Mon May 10, 2021 1:43 pm

Your life is worth Penn Medicine.

Related, their latest commercial is one of the worst ones ever created:

Imagine that playing, only louder, on TV. Awful.

faftorial

COVID-19

Postby faftorial » Mon May 10, 2021 1:45 pm

Flyers and Penn Medicine offering COVID-19 shots at Monday’s game
https://www.inquirer.com/health/coronav ... 10508.html
Protection from the deadly virus won’t be the only upside. Anyone who gets a shot will receive a voucher for two free tickets to a Flyers game next season, as well as an “I Took My Shot” T-shirt, hand sanitizer, and a sticker, according to an announcement Saturday.
:thumb: