COVID-19

PFiDC

COVID-19

Postby PFiDC » Fri May 14, 2021 11:25 am

It's not sustainable in the sense that 'murricans wouldn't ever do it.

faftorial

COVID-19

Postby faftorial » Fri May 14, 2021 11:30 am

I think masks are here to stay for a very small percentage of the population. People need to get over it if it bothers them.

CBear3

COVID-19

Postby CBear3 » Fri May 14, 2021 11:35 am

I'm a bit nervous about it with my kids (8,9,11). But I'd also be nervous with them getting the vaccine at this point too (science brain says one thing, murphy's law another). Cases haven't exactly been trending down lately in the school district either despite wearing masks and having more adults vaccinated.

NTP66

COVID-19

Postby NTP66 » Fri May 14, 2021 11:37 am

Our cases are all trending down, and vaccination rates continue to increase.

CBear3

COVID-19

Postby CBear3 » Fri May 14, 2021 12:13 pm

We're back to levels from last July in the county, and in the school specifically we're at about half our high water mark but with a 100% increase in cases this month versus last.

NAN

COVID-19

Postby NAN » Fri May 14, 2021 12:28 pm

Aren't you supposed to allow some viruses to enter you system or else your body starts to forget how to fight it? Serious question.

Like if you mask up and avoid the flu like the plague for a few years and then get it you could be screwed?

shafnutz05

COVID-19

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri May 14, 2021 12:32 pm

My wife got her second shot yesterday AM... It is absolutely kicking her ass. To the point where I was supposed to visit one of our practices today and am staying home.
Hope she feels better. It's crazy how both the virus and the shot affect different people in different ways.
Thanks! Fever broke this morning but she didn't sleep a wink last night.

Yeah, with me I just had a minor headache and some temperature regulation issues (i.e. sweating when I was out walking).

PFiDC

COVID-19

Postby PFiDC » Fri May 14, 2021 12:40 pm

Aren't you supposed to allow some viruses to enter you system or else your body starts to forget how to fight it? Serious question.

Like if you mask up and avoid the flu like the plague for a few years and then get it you could be screwed?
Good thing there are vaccines for that. And I'd wear the mask to prevent spreading to others, not to protect myself.
Last edited by PFiDC on Fri May 14, 2021 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tifosi77

COVID-19

Postby tifosi77 » Fri May 14, 2021 12:49 pm

Yeah, that's literally what vaccines are for.

shmenguin

COVID-19

Postby shmenguin » Fri May 14, 2021 12:53 pm

Because I want to wait and see how things go, and I'm not a whiny dodint when it comes to wearing a mask?
I only ask because my wife said the same thing. She said she’ll probably continue to wear one for a little while. When I asked her why, she’s vaccinated and they showed that vaccinated people have an outrageously high probability of not catching covid and not giving it to someone else she answered it would just make her feel better. I’m not going to argue with my wife over something that puts her in a better spot mentally. I was just curious as to your reason for continuing to wear one.
FWIW, I think I came off harsher than I meant to. I feel the same way as her - don't want to be the guinea pig, and for now feel a little more comfortable keeping it on. If all goes well, I imagine that I'd be good with ditching the masks in a month or so.
this is super weird

tifosi77

COVID-19

Postby tifosi77 » Fri May 14, 2021 1:00 pm

At the county level (10+ million population), we've been under 300 new daily cases for like 25 consecutive days, with a few days under 200 new cases and multiple days with 0 new deaths. Statewide (39+ million population) we are nearing 40% eligible population vaccinated, even allowing for the fact that the eligibility age was dropped from 16 to 12 this week.

faftorial

COVID-19

Postby faftorial » Fri May 14, 2021 1:05 pm

So if you don't get the flu for years w/o wearing a mask wouldn't you be in the same situation if you did get it eventually?

nocera

COVID-19

Postby nocera » Fri May 14, 2021 1:22 pm

I've been reading up on cave syndrome recently. I think I mentioned before that I wasn't in a great place mentally at the start of the pandemic, and I've found myself struggling with similar issues (though for opposite reasons) with the re-opening. Cave syndrome was brought up in a recent session and it basically hits the nail on the head for me. I'm going to have to force myself to be more comfortable and one major thing that helps me is researching, reading about the syndrome and recognizing it in myself when I'm making decisions.

This is all to say, for some people re-entering normal life, including going mask-less again, is not as easy as it is for others. Just like I couldn't flip a switch and be cool with a pandemic, wearing masks, distancing, etc. I can't just flip a switch and break year and a half long habits. I'm ready to, but it'll be baby steps and exposing myself to "new" situations.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... .%E2%80%9D

NTP66

COVID-19

Postby NTP66 » Fri May 14, 2021 1:23 pm

Nah, you should just do what everyone else wants you to do, nocera...

NAN

COVID-19

Postby NAN » Fri May 14, 2021 1:25 pm

So if you don't get the flu for years w/o wearing a mask wouldn't you be in the same situation if you did get it eventually?
Don't know, usually I get it, but it's not too bad. As for the vaccine, it doesn't cover all the variants.

Just wondering with our discussion the other day with peanuts and introducing at an early age, etc.

Regardless, just asking. At the end of the day, everyone is free to do what they feel necessary to protect themselves. It's not a big deal.

NAN

COVID-19

Postby NAN » Fri May 14, 2021 1:28 pm

This is all to say, for some people re-entering normal life, including going mask-less again, is not as easy as it is for others. Just like I couldn't flip a switch and be cool with a pandemic, wearing masks, distancing, etc. I can't just flip a switch and break year and a half long habits. I'm ready to, but it'll be baby steps and exposing myself to "new" situations.
Yeah, everyone is going to handle this differently. Some will be comfortable from day 1 (I think I fall into this) where others it may take some time. And others may make permanent changes.

IMO, as long as you aren't someone that is going around yelling at people to either take off your mask, put one on, etc and causing issues, you do you.

nocera

COVID-19

Postby nocera » Fri May 14, 2021 1:30 pm

Yeah, everyone is going to handle this differently. Some will be comfortable from day 1 (I think I fall into this) where others it may take some time. And others may make permanent changes.

IMO, as long as you aren't someone that is going around yelling at people to either take off your mask, put one on, etc and causing issues, you do you.
I've only yelled at once person in the past year or so about putting a mask on and I regretted it afterward. I've strictly followed guidelines, advice, restrictions, etc. from the same people who are now saying it's safe to move on so that's my plan. I just may have to force it where others are welcoming it with open arms.

faftorial

COVID-19

Postby faftorial » Fri May 14, 2021 1:30 pm

:thumb:

tifosi77

COVID-19

Postby tifosi77 » Fri May 14, 2021 1:37 pm

Honestly, in what is now a solid year of public mask wearing I can only recall two instances of anti-maskers being dooshy about it. One was at a Whole Foods, and she was wearing a t-shirt advocating for a super MAGA Congressional candidate; they refused to ring her up at the register unless she masked up, and she stomped her feet and held her breath for approximately 10 seconds, and then vamoosed. Around the same time (June/July) there was a lady running around a Ralph's (grocery store) in Calabasas screaming about her 'liberty', and she went outside and was getting in people's faces and calling them sheeple and stuff, and another lady straight up punched her in the face, which was tremendous to see.

NTP66

COVID-19

Postby NTP66 » Fri May 14, 2021 1:39 pm

Last week was the first time in over a year that I saw somebody in a store willingly not wearing a mask. Didn't have one under his chin, etc. He looked like the type who just wanted a confrontation so he can call somebody a sheep.

shmenguin

COVID-19

Postby shmenguin » Fri May 14, 2021 1:53 pm

Drove from NJ to Tampa last summer. If you can believe it, the further south I got, the less people even pretended to follow the rules. Grocery stores in Floridabama allegedly had a policy, but you’d never know it.

MrKennethTKangaroo

COVID-19

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Fri May 14, 2021 2:07 pm

Just took the doggo for a walk through my 'hoods commercial district. Restaurants were packed but 50% of the people walking around outside had masks on. As of last week, only 10 to 25% of people outside had masks on. Nothing about this pandemic makes sense.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

COVID-19

Postby count2infinity » Fri May 14, 2021 2:09 pm

Here’s what a local toy store posted on their Facebook.
Hello friends. Yes, we have seen the CDC announcement. We followed the science coming into this and we’ll follow it coming out.

Just give us a moment as we navigate the barrage of updates to all of the guidelines and we’ll update any changes to our policies when we’re ready and when we hear more from the city/state. The Borough of State College is still requiring masks *inside* businesses. We still have some staff in the waiting period of the vaccine. We are also a business that caters to a mostly under 12 year old population, the one group who hasn’t been able to receive a vaccine yet.

And we’re adjusting. As retail workers, we’ve been on high alert for over a year and re-entry has some angst attached to it. So be kind. Extend some patience. Wear a mask.

We are so excited to get our lives back! But we must do so safely and with high regard for our families, our staff and our community. Thank you for your continued support! We love our customers! Downtown State College
I like the message, especially the “ We followed the science coming into this and we’ll follow it coming out.”

tifosi77

COVID-19

Postby tifosi77 » Fri May 14, 2021 2:12 pm

That's fantastic consumer messaging. What's the business name? I kinda want to buy something from them online just to be supportive.

NTP66

COVID-19

Postby NTP66 » Fri May 14, 2021 2:14 pm

I'm interested in seeing the replies to that post after a day or so.