COVID-19

tifosi77

COVID-19

Postby tifosi77 » Thu May 06, 2021 2:40 pm

Saying they won't enforce and actually not enforcing are two different things. They still filed the patent; they can be all fine and dandy for a month while Company B starts manufacturing, and their shareholders see that orders for their in-house production dropped by $100 million, and hey guess what, we're gonna go ahead and enforce those IP rights. There's no way I'd feel comfortable as a 3rd party going into large scale manufacturing of either of these vaccines without a license in place, and it looks like government intervention will be required (or at least threatened, like it was back during the anthrax scare post-9/11) in order to bring that about.

I think it was nocera who noted the other day the bottleneck is pretty much 100% overseas distribution. India only has something like 2% of their population vaccinated, for example, and that's very much a supply issue.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

COVID-19

Postby count2infinity » Thu May 06, 2021 2:43 pm

Okay... then you get it in writing and if then they don't sign it, you drag 'em through the mud.

Like I said, I don't think IP rights are the bottleneck. If you think they are, all I'm saying is prove it.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

COVID-19

Postby meow » Thu May 06, 2021 2:58 pm

I think it was nocera who noted the other day the bottleneck is pretty much 100% overseas distribution. India only has something like 2% of their population vaccinated, for example, and that's very much a supply issue.
*ahem* that was ya boy meow

tifosi77

COVID-19

Postby tifosi77 » Thu May 06, 2021 3:00 pm

The only real proof will be if compulsory licenses are issued after patents are canceled, or if Pfizer and Moderna figure out a way to scale up their own production to meet international demand (the way Bayer did in the anthrax scare), and we see the effect on that bottleneck.
Now that Pfizer and Moderna have figured out how to set up production lines for their emergency authorized mRNA vaccines, their manufacturing design plans could be replicated to more quickly to ramp up manufacturing capacity in much less time, with much less trial and error.

Unfortunately, no other manufacturers possess the critical proprietary information needed to make these vaccines, including the exact composition and the technical details of their production lines. Without this knowledge and the licenses to the intellectual property (IP) required to act on it, production is currently limited to Moderna, Pfizer/BioNTech, and their partners. Similar IP restrictions will pose a barrier to accelerating worldwide production of the Novavax, Astrazeneca and Johnson & Johnson vaccines, if they are authorized for emergency use. Notably, French pharmaceutical company Sanofi has recognized the need for assistance in getting shots into arms and has agreed to fill and pack millions of vaccine doses from Pfizer. But Sanofi and other companies in the industry could do much more if they were given access to the information needed to produce the life-saving vaccines from start to finish.

In a situation like this, it's entirely reasonable -- and legal -- for the US government to step in and help alleviate some of these IP bottlenecks. There's historical precedent for this. During World War II, the US was cut off from the natural rubber supply from Southeast Asia. To meet the demand for this material, which was critical to the war effort, the US government got a group of companies and academic researchers to share the findings from more than 200 patents in the effort to create synthetic rubber. During World War I, the US government basically forced the two companies that controlled key patents to aircraft technology to pool their IP in order to aid in the wartime scale-up of plane production.

The Defense Production Act (DPA) gives the government the right to request detailed information from both the vaccine manufacturers and their suppliers about their product compositions, manufacturing methods and supply chains. Zain Rizvi and Peter Maybarduk of Public Citizen have observed that the US government has the right under 28 U.S.C. section 1498 to use methods and technical information covered by any US patents for federal vaccine production efforts, as well as the right under DPA section 4555 to disclose publicly any confidential technical specifications obtained from manufacturers deemed essential in the interest of defending the nation.
That's a CNN piece from February. This isn't a new issue.

But I'm curious, if it's not IP conflict, what is the cause of the bottleneck?

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

COVID-19

Postby count2infinity » Thu May 06, 2021 3:03 pm

IP is the issue... IP rights in the form of patents are not the issue.

Shyster

COVID-19

Postby Shyster » Thu May 06, 2021 5:58 pm

Pfizer 2.0 upload complete.

NTP66

COVID-19

Postby NTP66 » Thu May 06, 2021 7:16 pm

We had numerous people move out of the area during the pandemic while keeping their jobs due to the ease, availability, and success of remote work. I refuse to be punished because I live 30 minutes away instead of 90.
I’m rooting for you, DD.

meow

COVID-19

Postby meow » Thu May 06, 2021 7:20 pm

Not to kick DD when he is down, but our company is slowly churning through the paperwork to allow workers to live on a pile of other states. We were originally just set up for NC, SC and GA, but apparently they’ve added additional ones and are looking to get all 50 done. I have no idea what that actually means. I’m assuming tax things. So it doesn’t seem like we are ever going back

NTP66

COVID-19

Postby NTP66 » Thu May 06, 2021 7:23 pm

Not to kick DD when he is down, but our company is slowly churning through the paperwork to allow workers to live on a pile of other states. We were originally just set up for NC, SC and GA, but apparently they’ve added additional ones and are looking to get all 50 done. I have no idea what that actually means. I’m assuming tax things. So it doesn’t seem like we are ever going back
I agree with that - likely tax scenarios. We had to go through the same thing with local taxes when they changed our status to remote workers, where we stopped paying Philly wage tax.

Dickie Dunn

COVID-19

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu May 06, 2021 7:30 pm

My boss and our MD are both onboard with my stance and in general don’t ever see it being required to return on to the office on a full time basis. Too many people worked in the building as it was and those who need to be onsite were there through the pandemic anyways. We might have to do a day or two a week, but I can live with that. I’m just preparing my angry statement in case someone changes their mind. Or I could always just ask Chairman Meow for a job.

meow

COVID-19

Postby meow » Thu May 06, 2021 7:36 pm

Hells yeah

NTP66

COVID-19

Postby NTP66 » Thu May 06, 2021 7:38 pm

meow needs to now create a FAF department and hire everyone. I want to force him to fire me for insubordination.

meow

COVID-19

Postby meow » Thu May 06, 2021 7:40 pm

Once this pandemic “ends” I’m going on a year long vacation and comeback looking like Castaway. You guys are on your own

NTP66

COVID-19

Postby NTP66 » Thu May 06, 2021 7:42 pm

Well ****, in that case you can just promote me right now.

Dickie Dunn

COVID-19

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu May 06, 2021 7:45 pm

Once this pandemic “ends” I’m going on a year long vacation and comeback looking like Castaway. You guys are on your own
You sound like the perfect boss.

Lemon Berry Lobster

COVID-19

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Thu May 06, 2021 8:01 pm

Meow the dom and ntp66 the sub. Didn't see that one coming

meow

COVID-19

Postby meow » Thu May 06, 2021 8:05 pm

You can watch, but it’ll cost you a 20

Dickie Dunn

COVID-19

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu May 06, 2021 8:12 pm

No worries. I can do at least 4 push-ups.

faftorial

COVID-19

Postby faftorial » Fri May 07, 2021 8:34 am

Pfizer is applying for full approval of their vaccine. Hopefully it's soon so the excuse not to get it because it's an experimental vaccine will go away.

count2infinity

COVID-19

Postby count2infinity » Fri May 07, 2021 8:36 am

Pfizer is applying for full approval of their vaccine. Hopefully it's soon so the excuse not to get it because it's an experimental vaccine will go away.
The fun part is they're still part of the experiment.... they're the control.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

COVID-19

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri May 07, 2021 9:28 am

I’m guessing that doesn’t affect that vaccine’s “emergency use” categorization? ie employers still won’t be able to require it

faftorial

COVID-19

Postby faftorial » Fri May 07, 2021 9:31 am

I’m guessing that doesn’t affect that vaccine’s “emergency use” categorization? ie employers still won’t be able to require it
I think they could require it and most anything now if you are at will worker.

count2infinity

COVID-19

Postby count2infinity » Fri May 07, 2021 9:32 am

If it's fully approved, it no longer needs the emergency use categorization. Don't know what the laws look like to require getting it as over half the country has been vaccinated and half of those people haven't gotten pfizer. Would we Moderna plebs need to go get pfizer? I doubt it.

Cagsjr724

COVID-19

Postby Cagsjr724 » Fri May 07, 2021 11:19 am

My job just sent out a memo stating that its mandatory that everyone gets vaccinated by June 30th. All the Republicans are having a fit right now lolol.

meow

COVID-19

Postby meow » Fri May 07, 2021 11:20 am

Woof. That’s spicy.