COVID-19

Tomas

COVID-19

Postby Tomas » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:08 am

Yesterday, the 7-day average of new cases in the US fell under 55K for the first time since last fall. This number represents more than 80% decline from the all-time max of 255K/day achieved on January 11.

NTP66

COVID-19

Postby NTP66 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:12 am

My next big question is: who is going to have their children vaccinated? My daughter will be getting her shot(s) the moment she's eligible. Found out today that both of my sisters have no intention of having their kids vaccinated. This bothers me.

We've avoided family gatherings for over a year now, and while we do visit some of them in very small groups, I'm at the point where I'm okay with continuing this trend for now. Certainly makes for more peaceful holidays.

Troy Loney

COVID-19

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:21 am

Aside from 100% wfh, my life is basically back to normal starting this weekend. Big outdoor event tomorrow, lunch at a restaurant with my dad on sunday and friends coming over to my house to play music sunday night.

shmenguin

COVID-19

Postby shmenguin » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:50 am

My next big question is: who is going to have their children vaccinated? My daughter will be getting her shot(s) the moment she's eligible. Found out today that both of my sisters have no intention of having their kids vaccinated. This bothers me.

We've avoided family gatherings for over a year now, and while we do visit some of them in very small groups, I'm at the point where I'm okay with continuing this trend for now. Certainly makes for more peaceful holidays.
we will when approved. they're 6 and 8 so we're stuck in purgatory for a while. the kids are a real gating item to get back to normal. we can't go to indoor spaces or just be completely whatevs about who comes into our house without a mask until they get the shot.

NTP66

COVID-19

Postby NTP66 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:52 am

we will when approved. they're 6 and 8 so we're stuck in purgatory for a while. the kids are a real gating item to get back to normal. we can't go to indoor spaces or just be completely whatevs about who comes into our house without a mask until they get the shot.
Yeah, and I'd rather just avoid drama by asking the one person that refuses to get vaccinated to wear a mask, so we just hang back. Sucks, but whatever.

CBear3

COVID-19

Postby CBear3 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:17 pm

I have not thought about when it'll be appropriate to vaccinate the kids.
We're still in this land of kids don't spread it as well as adults and aren't as effected by it, so we'll probably be later adopters than we were with ourselves. If they were teenagers I'd probably be pushing for it, but at 7 & 9 I'm not in a rush.

Beveridge

COVID-19

Postby Beveridge » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:22 pm

Our 2 year old will get it soon as approval is given. We gather with family now (immediate), but we'll do it because he's at daycare where there has been a couple teacher outbreaks already. For all we know, he had it and was asymptomatic.

nocera

COVID-19

Postby nocera » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:35 pm

Source of the post We're still in this land of kids don't spread it as well
I think this has been disproven.
Most children who become infected with the COVID-19 virus have no symptoms, or they have milder symptoms such as low-grade fever, fatigue, and cough. Early studies suggested that children do not contribute much to the spread of coronavirus. But more recent studies raise concerns that children could be capable of spreading the infection.

Though the recent studies varied in their methods, their findings were similar: infected children had as much, or more, coronavirus in their upper respiratory tracts as infected adults.
https://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases ... k-and-kids

But yeah, generally kids do not experience severe symptoms.

robbiestoupe

COVID-19

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:37 pm

I have not thought about when it'll be appropriate to vaccinate the kids.
We're still in this land of kids don't spread it as well as adults and aren't as effected by it, so we'll probably be later adopters than we were with ourselves. If they were teenagers I'd probably be pushing for it, but at 7 & 9 I'm not in a rush.
I'm in this court. Most likely our kids will get it, but when is the question. If data shows we need all humans to be vaccinated to eradicate this thing, or if kids are the reason for new mutations, they'll be next in line.

King Colby

COVID-19

Postby King Colby » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:54 pm

Most children who become infected with the COVID-19 virus have no symptoms, or they have milder symptoms such as low-grade fever, fatigue, and cough. Early studies suggested that children do not contribute much to the spread of coronavirus. But more recent studies raise concerns that children could be capable of spreading the infection.

Though the recent studies varied in their methods, their findings were similar: infected children had as much, or more, coronavirus in their upper respiratory tracts as infected adults.

Less symptoms = less spread. Children = less symptoms. Children = less spread. #trustthescience

NTP66

COVID-19

Postby NTP66 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:54 pm

I'm probably just being overprotective, but we went through a lot to have our daughter, and I'm going to do anything necessary to make sure that she's protected.

shafnutz05

COVID-19

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:56 pm

I'm probably just being overprotective, but we went through a lot to have our daughter, and I'm going to do anything necessary to make sure that she's protected.
:thumb:

Our daughter spent three days at DuPont when she was 1 due to RSV...some of the scariest days of my life. I do not want to **** with anything that can cause long-term lung damage.

nocera

COVID-19

Postby nocera » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:56 pm

Less symptoms = less spread. Children = less symptoms. Children = less spread. #trustthescience
Yeah it seems like that was the original thinking, however, studies have shown that they have the same level of infection as adults and thus could spread it just as easily. I'm trying to trust the science! Science is hard.

King Colby

COVID-19

Postby King Colby » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:00 pm

Yeah it seems like that was the original thinking, however, studies have shown that they have the same level of infection as adults and thus could spread it just as easily. I'm trying to trust the science! Science is hard.
No, the original thinking was asymptomatic means no spread.

It's less, not no. It's intuitive - spread via respiratory droplets which there are more of if you have more symptoms.

nocera

COVID-19

Postby nocera » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:05 pm

Maybe. It seems that schools and children were a large source of spread in Michigan due to the new variant. I wonder if we didn't see much spread amongst children because the majority of the schools were closed or in hybrid model. Now that we're opening up more, kids are playing a role in the spread.

https://abc7news.com/covid-chidlren-var ... /10486843/

Morkle

COVID-19

Postby Morkle » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:17 pm

Anecdotally, our kid has been hanging all over us. Spreading germs via close contact, laughing, etc. My wife was tested yesterday and she's negative.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

COVID-19

Postby count2infinity » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:27 pm

Source of the post Anecdotally, our kid has been hanging all over us. Spreading germs via close contact, laughing, etc. My wife was tested yesterday and she's negative.
GOOD NEWS!

Morkle

COVID-19

Postby Morkle » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:29 pm

I can safely say, I roughhouse with my kid, tickle-fight with him, get pretty close contact with him most of the time. I don't even really have any fears of it knowing I'm vacced. Nothing has changed, outside of just keeping him at home.

nocera

COVID-19

Postby nocera » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:44 pm

I wouldn't expect any parent to stop closely interacting with their kids. That'd be ridiculous.

Morkle

COVID-19

Postby Morkle » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:56 pm

I wouldn't expect any parent to stop closely interacting with their kids. That'd be ridiculous.
Well, I probably would have acted differently if this was at the start of the pandemic. The doctor was telling us to stick to one parent, stay in separate part of the house.

Just stuff that's not possible at all.

nocera

COVID-19

Postby nocera » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:57 pm

Well, I probably would have acted differently if this was at the start of the pandemic. The doctor was telling us to stick to one parent, stay in separate part of the house.

Oh my bad I misunderstood. I forgot you were waiting on results too. I can understand the doctor's POV. It'd be horrible if both of you were sick and unable to properly care for the kid. But yeah, that seems next to impossible.

Morkle

COVID-19

Postby Morkle » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:59 pm

Oh my bad I misunderstood. I forgot you were waiting on results too. I can understand the doctor's POV. It'd be horrible if both of you were sick and unable to properly care for the kid. But yeah, that seems next to impossible.
Let me go ahead and do that with a 2.5 year old, oh, and let me or my wife take a week off to do it. Ya no.

mikey

COVID-19

Postby mikey » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:59 pm

Tell that "doctor" to shut his stupid ****** face...

shmenguin

COVID-19

Postby shmenguin » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:00 pm

my last neighbor was a physician who was on COVID duty at his hospital. his wife has MS. he slept in the basement and he had no indoor contact with his kids for months, until he changed rotations. he didn't even hug them or get close to them when they played outside, and would sit on the front porch and have conversations with his wife through the storm door.

we moved in Nov, so i don't know what the future holds, but we witnessed the lifeforce just getting sucked out of that family every day.

faftorial

COVID-19

Postby faftorial » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:03 pm

I would hope you would feel the same way if she was an "accident". :)