Travel Thread

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:10 am

Source of the post Based on hotel availability and rates, people are traveling again.
Saw this earlier today:

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:18 pm

The cost of first class is insanity (although that is in a league of its own).

There have been a couple of occasions where upgrading to first class was a nominal fee (like $150 for a round trip flight) when I have pulled the trigger. A few years back, when I flew to Seattle (via LAX), I used my miles to upgrade to first class. I actually picked the flight with a layover to get extra first class time :lol: . It is just so absurdly prohibitive, and it's one of those things where the second I stepped off the plane, I would feel sick to my stomach about spending as much money as I did.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:33 pm

A is great for long trips, but it's hard to justify for an entire family. I have no issues sitting in MCE for long flights and using the money I would have spent on tickets on the actual trip itself. I used to be able to upgrade to A with miles back in the day, but AA has made that damn near impossible now, and I wouldn't bank on being able to do that ever again.

That said, when we finally go to Australia, that'll be in A, for sure.

PFiDC

Travel Thread

Postby PFiDC » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:35 pm

We are going to Jamaica at the end of July and were working with a travel advisor to help book the trip. From 6/5 - 6/10 the price of our flight went up $300 and the room rate increased 50%. People are definitely travelling now.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:39 pm

I made dinner reservations for our trip in early July last month, and even then the availability was limited.

robbiestoupe

Travel Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:11 pm

We booked our Hocking Hills trip back in February and we couldn't find two cabins for a weekend in the summer. Granted there are only 35 or so to choose from, but I think travel has been up for a while.

robbiestoupe

Travel Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:16 pm

The cost of first class is insanity (although that is in a league of its own).

There have been a couple of occasions where upgrading to first class was a nominal fee (like $150 for a round trip flight) when I have pulled the trigger. A few years back, when I flew to Seattle (via LAX), I used my miles to upgrade to first class. I actually picked the flight with a layover to get extra first class time :lol: . It is just so absurdly prohibitive, and it's one of those things where the second I stepped off the plane, I would feel sick to my stomach about spending as much money as I did.
First class domestic is absolutely not worth it. I'd even go so far as to say business class international is not worth it. We're talking $1000 vs. $4500 and that's if you are lucky enough to find $4500 tickets - more likely to find them around $7000. Sure you get to lay down and have a slightly better meal, but is that really worth the extra $3500 - $6000? Add in family, and it's a definite no. Now if it's on the company's dime, gimme dat bidniz class

I couldn't tell you what the difference is between 1st class and business class international as I've never flown, but I can assure you the upgrade there is definitely not worth it.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:20 pm

Obligatory **** airlines…

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:58 pm

We had planned on upgrading to Business for our flight to Singapore, but when we booked the flight the class was already sold out. We were able to get seats in the first row of their Premium Economy (which I think they only have 2 rows of in their A350 aircraft) so we had like three feet of leg room. It was effectively the same amount of personal space for 1/3 the cost. I'd actually look into doing it that way again vs the upgrade.

dodint

Travel Thread

Postby dodint » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:43 pm

First Class from Dubai to Atlanta was tits. They don't even do that non-stop run anymore. Work paid for it.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:07 pm

MCE - true MCE, where you get the extra legroom, not where they just call the first four rows MCE on older aircraft - is the best compromise, IMO. I paid on average $75/seat for our upcoming flights for it, and it’s well worth it.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:50 pm

I’ve been using the same BCD code with Budget car rental for over a decade now. On the latest email from them for our trip next month, there was a little blurb at the top stating that I may be asked to produce an ID for the code.

Obviously don’t have that, so if I actually am asked, my rental will go from $320 to at least $1k. Hoping that it doesn’t come to that, and that FastBreak basically gets me out of it all.

eddy

Travel Thread

Postby eddy » Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:56 pm

@eddy, we're heading to Hocking Hills Sunday. I think this may be an annual trip.

Did you happen to check out the observatory when you went? If so, do they let you go into the observatory, or is it just a bunch of amateur astronomers with their telescopes?
We didn't stop in there, we could see stars from our cabin, so went with that after long days of hiking

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:32 am

@blackjack68: Have you traveled via PHL recently? I'm checking on economy parking based on what you said months ago, and it looks like the main lot is still closed. I figured it would have been opened back up by now with travel really starting to pick up.

blackjack68

Travel Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:05 am

Haven’t flown since Easter. Sorry I can’t help more. Too floors of the garages are cheaper, but it seems like economy should be open with so many more people flying.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:08 am

Yeah, I'm worried about it being completely full when we arrive. It would be just like PHL to let that happen.

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:03 pm

My wife and I are headed to a really nice bed and breakfast for two nights in New Hope Thursday afternoon. I cannot even remember the last time we had one night away, let alone two. I'm really excited to spend time in that area; our room is right on the canal. Also mapped out a nice 7 mile run for Friday morning that runs up the PA side of the river and comes back down the NJ side.

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:10 pm

We're going to Santa Barbara this weekend. Can't wait.

Sam's Drunk Dog

Travel Thread

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:24 pm

My wife and I are headed to a really nice bed and breakfast for two nights in New Hope Thursday afternoon. I cannot even remember the last time we had one night away, let alone two. I'm really excited to spend time in that area; our room is right on the canal. Also mapped out a nice 7 mile run for Friday morning that runs up the PA side of the river and comes back down the NJ side.
Have fun. I've been there a lot. Triumph Brewing has decent beer and food so make sure to check that out. Be careful if you decide to jog on the canal paths. There are probably more bikers than pedestrians on it during nice weather and if you don't stay to the right you might get accidentally run into. Lots of the spandex wearing Lance Armstrong wannabes.

RonnieFranchise

Travel Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:12 pm

We want to go down to WV for a weekend at some point but everyone else wants to schedule stuff and since most of it didn't happen last year we want to go.... maybe we will just each take a couple weekdays and go because the weekends are insane. It's our 25th anniversary on August 3, when we'll be on family vacation, it would be nice to at least do something just the two of us.

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:12 pm

Have fun. I've been there a lot. Triumph Brewing has decent beer and food so make sure to check that out. Be careful if you decide to jog on the canal paths. There are probably more bikers than pedestrians on it during nice weather and if you don't stay to the right you might get accidentally run into. Lots of the spandex wearing Lance Armstrong wannabes.
Lovely--and thanks for the heads up, that was the plan.

We are eating at a really well-reviewed Italian place tonight, and then going to a small plates place (Nektar) tomorrow. There is an organic ice cream place there that is supposed to be awesome too.

robbiestoupe

Travel Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:04 pm

We want to go down to WV for a weekend at some point but everyone else wants to schedule stuff and since most of it didn't happen last year we want to go.... maybe we will just each take a couple weekdays and go because the weekends are insane. It's our 25th anniversary on August 3, when we'll be on family vacation, it would be nice to at least do something just the two of us.
Not sure how much you are into the outdoors but Dolly Sods and Seneca Rocks are great places to visit.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Travel Thread

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:22 pm

I have never been there, so I should probably drive down to the sods for the upcoming glorious solstice.

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:26 pm

Man, New Hope/Lambertville is great.

blackjack68

Travel Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:29 pm

Some might even say it’s “fabulous!”