Travel Thread

RonnieFranchise

Travel Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Fri May 21, 2021 7:37 pm

My hometown of Lock Haven, which had become a dump back 30 years ago, has a growing funky downtown if you happen to pass through. One of my best friends owns a cool shop on Main St.

Jersey Shore was our arch rival.

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat May 22, 2021 7:25 am

@robbiestoupe ...Will do.

@shafnutz05 we are at barley creek brewery for dinner now based on your recommendation.
Nice! Hope you are enjoying the area. If you want to make your wife happy, take her here

https://www.poconomountains.com/listing ... andle/152/

I actually don't mind walking around this place every few years. A lot of needless chotchkis :lol:

skullman80

Travel Thread

Postby skullman80 » Sat May 22, 2021 7:53 am

@robbiestoupe ...Will do.

@shafnutz05 we are at barley creek brewery for dinner now based on your recommendation.
Nice! Hope you are enjoying the area. If you want to make your wife happy, take her here

https://www.poconomountains.com/listing ... andle/152/

I actually don't mind walking around this place every few years. A lot of needless chotchkis :lol:
Barley creek was really good. Thanks for the recommendation!

We went to the outlets near in Tannersville near Barley creek after bushkill to fill our shopping urge. Spent like $500 there lol.

Think we might go to Tobyhanna state park for the loop around the lake there today. It's like 5 miles or so.

Shall see where the day takes us.

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat May 22, 2021 1:00 pm

:thumb:

Yeah that's the general area we hang out at when we go up there. Glad Barley Creek was good!

DigitalGypsy66

Travel Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue May 25, 2021 4:46 pm

We're back, baby!

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue May 25, 2021 4:46 pm

Ugh, this does not please me.

RonnieFranchise

Travel Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Tue May 25, 2021 6:22 pm

All three of my flights were full last week. It sucked moose wang.

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Wed May 26, 2021 5:53 pm

Disneyland announced they’re allowing visitors from outside of CA starting June 15th. Tickets and hotel are now booked for July. We’re staying at the Grand Californian cause **** it it’s our honeymoon.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed May 26, 2021 5:56 pm

Maui just dropped their mask mandate outdoors, and it sounds like they expect some sort of vaccine passport system available this summer to bypass testing. Doubt that’ll be ready for when we go, but maybe we’ll get lucky.

dodint

Travel Thread

Postby dodint » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:25 am

Had a really great road trip vacation to close out May. Drove from PA to KC to grab my buddy and his car, then headed down to Eagles Canyon Raceway in Texas. Won my class and beat the car owner in his own car. Drove to Little Rock, AR and played a round of golf the next day, then moved on to eastern TN. My uncle lives there and he's an outdoors junky.

We went single-track mountain biking at the Loyston Point Mountain Biking Trail, did about 8 miles on really nice $4k mountain bikes that we rented at a shop in Knoxville. Neat bikes but I don't see myself getting one for myself.

The next day we went whitewater rafting on the Nantahala River in NC. Perfect weather, gorgeous.

We left TN and came home for one night, dropped the trailer off at the house, and then went to a cabin near Hedgesville, WV for Memorial Day weekend.
Visited the Western Maryland Rail Trail and did 20 miles on our own bikes alongside the Potomac. Cool day for Memorial Day weekend, in the 50s.
Golfed in my first competitive golf tournament the next day. Came in DFL with a 112. :lol:

On the way back home we stopped at the New Germany State Park in Maryland and hiked their loop trails. The trails themselves were practically empty, but the park was bustling with people when we got back to the van to leave. Sun had finally come out but it was still only in the 70s; immaculate hiking weather.

Just a really awesome trip which amounted to a bunch of little events kind of haphazardly strung together. Had to come back to work to rest. :D

shoeshine boy

Travel Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:32 am

I'm tired just reading about all of that! ;)

next time you're in that area, I recommend rafting the upper and lower Ocoee. it's basically the same area as Deliverance was filmed. we used to raft it every Labor Day weekend before our friends started spitting out children.
Last edited by shoeshine boy on Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:35 am

Sounds like you had a pretty fun-packaged trip, dodint. Whitewater rafting is on my list of things to do, but I need to wait for my daughter to get older. :thumb:

dodint

Travel Thread

Postby dodint » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:42 am

next time you're in that area, I recommend rafting the upper and lower Ocoee. it's basically the same area as Deliverance was filmed. we used to raft it every Labor Day weekend before our friends started spitting out children.
Yeah, my uncle has been there and told us a bit about it. He is going to retire from his manufacturing job in a few years and become a river guide. He's really into it. Which is nice because he has a bunch of his own gear.

The wife and I are starting to think about getting an RV. I've wanted one for racing, really nice to have a comfortable place to stay at the track, but we realized that if we had one we'd probably do a lot more destination outdoors stuff too. I've started watching the market but don't feel like jumping in quite yet. We might rent one for a race this fall to see if it works as well as we hope.

dodint

Travel Thread

Postby dodint » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:44 am

I'm tired just reading about all of that! ;)
Oh, and the one evening I was home I hit the Peloton to keep my weekly streak alive. :lol:

eddy

Travel Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:58 am

Wow, that sounds awesome dodint. We are preparing for our journey to MA, NH and ME and reading about your travels just got me a little more excited

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:59 am

Source of the post Drove from PA to KC
I think you know what I'm going to ask...

dodint

Travel Thread

Postby dodint » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:00 am

Sadly, no. Was only in KC to load the trailer up. :(
Wow, that sounds awesome dodint. We are preparing for our journey to MA, NH and ME and reading about your travels just got me a little more excited
:fist:

The first place my wife asked about going with the RV was Maine. A friend of ours took a hiking trip up there and she was floored by the pictures he brought back.

shoeshine boy

Travel Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:13 am

if you've never traveled in an RV before I'd suggest a trip with a rental first. maintenance can be a PITA and RV travel isn't for everyone.

I have a few friends who do it. one has the kind you drive and another has the kind you tow behind. the latter "had to" buy a new truck to tow it and now they might have to upgrade the RV because the bed isn't big enough for the husband who's over 6 feet tall.

dodint

Travel Thread

Postby dodint » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:01 pm

Yeah, we are hoping to do the November trip to Braselton in an RV first to test it out.

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:33 pm

That's awesome @dodint. Sometimes a bunch of hodgepodge small things are the best.

robbiestoupe

Travel Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:34 pm

I started doing some RV research earlier this year. Was going to rent a drivable RV for a vacation to Mammoth Caves but realized the seatbelts are not set up for car seats. Had to start looking into what it would cost to buy a truck/SUV that could tow a 3k lb trailer and I just gave up.

We'll eventually buy one as we love the outdoors but we'll probably wait until the kids are old enough to sit in lap belts with no issues.

dodint

Travel Thread

Postby dodint » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:57 pm

My particular challenge is the ability to tow a race car with it. Most have the capacity and hitch for 5k of towing, which means an open trailer and my car. And then we have to be careful about how much payload we take in the RV itself. There are some unicorn Class C RVs out there with an 8k hitch that would allow me to have a small enclosed trailer, which would be great since the race car doesn't have side windows. But I've not actually located one spec'd with an 8k tow setup yet. Not looking to buy anytime soon, though, so it doesn't matter yet.

eddy

Travel Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:15 pm

Fine, I will drive your racecar

Orlando Penguin

Travel Thread

Postby Orlando Penguin » Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:20 pm

What did you get for winning the race and beating the car owner?

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:05 pm

on my class and beat the car owner in his own car.
Rude