Non Political Current Events Thread

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:19 am

The container ship was under the control of a harbor pilot at the time of the mishap, and was only travelling at approximately 8 knots. They had enough foreknowledge of the problems aboard ship to transmit a mayday call (sabres_goal.wav) before impact, and bridge crews were able to shut down the ingress of additional vehicle traffic from the shore landings, but obviously there wasn't anything that could be done for those already traversing the span. Very thankful/lucky that this happened at 1:30 am.

The video of the incident is terrifying, and I'll echo Bev's sentiment that it embodies my wife's biggest fears. (We will go an hour out of our way to avoid a large bridge if possible, which was yet another reason why I hated living in San Francisco) It basically looks like an Erector Set that simply crumpled; it made me think of the scene in Top Secret! where the vehicle taps the rear end of the Pinto and it immediately explodes. That's just not how I thought something like that would happen..... it's like *doink* and then almost immediately there's no more bridge. I am not a physicist, but - however massive a loaded container ship is - it does not seem it would carry the same heft as just, you know, the sea on a heavy day. Then again, I guess the sea isn't focused on a single point all at once.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:28 am

tif gets it. Much like 9/11 this was a controlled demo. What are they distracting us from!?!?!

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:39 am

Anything on X anymore is incredibly annoying. All I see is Right wing conspiracy talk and people who spread ridiculous mis-information. Top post I saw was Flynn saying this was a black swan event, and then a litany of people agreeing with him posting conspiracy garbage.

Why can accidents, just be accidents anymore?
Given the recent insanity of airline pilots, imagine the **** storm if the captain turns out to be a black guy.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:42 am

TIL experienced harbor pilots in busy commercial ports handling vessels of this size make upwards of $400,000/yr.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:52 am

The columbia river pilots are pretty badass

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:10 pm

albeit I have a physics degree and not a civil engineering degree but I’m surprised that the bridge didn’t have some sort of mechanical “crumple zone” where parts far away from the collision weren’t affected by the impact

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:59 pm

5 mph bumpers on cars weren't even mandatory until 1974. And I'm sure the bridge engineer said nobody will ever be stupid enough to run into this thing, it's massive. Alas, a good 50% of engineering is trying to predict how the biggest idiot in the world will misuse your design.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:11 pm

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:11 pm

also my first thought after hearing the story wasn’t that scene but the scene where McNulty found the jumper

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:14 pm

Man, what a great **** season that was.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:04 pm

also my first thought after hearing the story wasn’t that scene but the scene where McNulty found the jumper

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:01 pm

Anything on X anymore is incredibly annoying. All I see is Right wing conspiracy talk and people who spread ridiculous mis-information. Top post I saw was Flynn saying this was a black swan event, and then a litany of people agreeing with him posting conspiracy garbage.

Given the recent insanity of airline pilots, imagine the **** storm if the captain turns out to be a black guy.
Oh, they’re already blaming DEI for it due to the mayor of Baltimore being black. My guess is the captain is a member of the LGBTQ+ community.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:07 pm

Oh, they’re already blaming DEI for it due to the mayor of Baltimore being black. My guess is the captain is a member of the LGBTQ+ community.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:15 pm

Alex Jones is pushing a "the ship was hacked" line.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:43 pm

The Venn between MAGA voters/conspiracy nuts is pretty close to a circle at this point

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:38 pm

I imagine it resembles a sphincter.

Ad@m

Postby Ad@m » Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:05 am

:shock:

Talk about Final Destination

Ad@m

Postby Ad@m » Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:55 pm

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:11 pm

An employee said, "This place is pretty secure"

and the writer thought, "man, what a money quote that is...an employee, who now makes less than the person who is jerking off into every fourth box of Sauced and Loaded Fries at Jack In The Box, really put a nice bow on the story with 'derrrrrr, it's perty gud'..."

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:09 am

Crazy story...

The EPA response team that they show just before the 3 minute mark are guys that I just talked to a couple of months ago at a tradeshow for about a half hour. Those guys are sharp. Some of the best air analysis guys I've ever met. I'm sure if there was something still in the air, they would have found it.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:17 am

Crazy story...

The EPA response team that they show just before the 3 minute mark are guys that I just talked to a couple of months ago at a tradeshow for about a half hour. Those guys are sharp. Some of the best air analysis guys I've ever met. I'm sure if there was something still in the air, they would have found it.
The voiceover guy pronouncing hospital is grade “A” western PA accent stuff.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:40 am

Living within the area affected by the East Palestine derailment, where there's actually a Congressional candidate running on "the government's lying to you," I guarantee no matter how good those guys are the folks in Greater Somerset one million percent believe the EPA is covering something up.

It certainly appears something happened, but as far as "we're good now," some are never going to believe that.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:56 am

Lots of uproar around here about that story. The community seems split with half saying the school dropped the ball and there was some sort of CO buildup and half believing the kids were vaping/huffing/doing something illegal. People say the kids were all from different cliques, which makes the latter seem unlikely. But it was only high school kids who were affected, no teachers, no admin, no janitors, etc. which also seems unlikely if there was actually something in the air.

My personal theory (which has nothing to back it up) is that a couple kids got sick and then others either thought, "I can get out of class if I pretend to be sick too" while others had some sort of psychosomatic reaction.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:01 am

Yeah... I would think if it was something like CO poisoning, wouldn't everyone be impacted? Not just students? Also, there are tests you can do when these kids get to the hospital for CO poisoning. Were they not done?

I agree with your theory (like you said, nothing to back it up other than knowing kids and knowing a bit about psychology), is probably there was a kid that was sick/queasy and then everyone jumped on the bandwagon. Whether they did it knowingly to get out of something or involuntarily like sympathetic crying or sympathetic puking.

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:01 am

Source of the post The voiceover guy pronouncing hospital is grade “A” western PA accent stuff.
It sounds completely normal to me, which I guess should be worrying. I did notice the Pittsburgh accent coming through on "monoxide" though.