Non Political Current Events Thread

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:56 pm

I'm pretty sure that's the bit where they had to destroy the Ring.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:08 pm

Livestream:

Holy ****. Scroll back to 824:41:26 if you want to watch the beginning. Crazy seeing a 3km long line of 300+ foot eruptions

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:09 pm

Seems to have died back a little. At least the lava field seems to be moving away from the camera, and from how the camera spun around earlier in the stream, I think the town of Grindavík would be behind the camera from this view.

Ad@m

Postby Ad@m » Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:00 am

OMG! :shock: :cry:

Over 90 dogs recovered from home in Bedford County

https://www.wtaj.com/news/local-news/ov ... rd-county/
Multiple humane societies and Pennsylvania State Police responded to the scene of a home on Old Route 220 in Bedford where, reportedly, over 90 dogs were discovered to have been inside.

It was reported that eight troopers and two crime investigators were on the scene. Bedford County Humane Society and six other county humane societies, including those from Blair and Adams, also responded to help home and care for the dogs.

According to Joe Zolna, Board President of the Central PA Humane Society in Blair County, the dogs were kept in completely filled kennels stacked three high. Most of the dogs are reported as being alive at this time, but their conditions are unknown.

“It’s tough to see that many dogs like that, caged up and in the condition they were in,” Zolna said. “There are still more dogs that need to be taken out of the home.”

Zolna, who was on scene, told WTAJ that this was the worst scene he had ever witnessed while working with the humane society. He also noted that the Bedford County Humane Society will be taking in the majority of the animals.

Bedford County Humane Society asked for volunteers to help bathe the dogs on Monday morning. Anyone willing to volunteer was asked to come to the shelter as early as 8 a.m. on Jan. 1 and to wear old clothing.

The shelter also said they desperately needed blankets, towels and funds to help care for the dogs. Monetary donations can be given on their website.

Ad@m

Postby Ad@m » Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:28 pm

:lol: @ Exploding toilet

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:35 pm

They didn't even have to tell us that this was in Florida.

Ad@m

Postby Ad@m » Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:39 am

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:09 am

Don't drink and climb fences kids. Crazy no one saw her earlier.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:11 am

jesus, that’s gotta be a hell of a way to go

but also, I am really interested in seeing the fence; in particular how she managed to get impaled in the leg

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sun Jan 07, 2024 11:18 am

I looked on Google maps and the only fence that looked kind of spiky is right across the southern road from the Xfinity Live bar but it’s confusing to me how someone could manage to get impaled by it

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sun Jan 07, 2024 3:14 pm

Back when "Faces Of Death" was a thing, I saw a clip of a robbery suspect who was fleeing police and jumped from the 2d or 3d floor of a building and tried to clear a wrought iron fence. Landed with the pointy bit of the fence directly under his chin, and, well...........

I will just say, given the mechanics undoubtedly involved, it was a surprisingly clean tear.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:25 am

I really like John and Hank Green. Most of their videos are enjoyable to me. I was listening to this one:

and at the 5:04 mark he says that there are some signs that we might be healing a bit from our traumatic experiences, and here's the goofy stat he uses as a sign of that:

Disruptive airline passenger incidents are down 80% since 2021... https://www.npr.org/2023/08/09/11929893 ... University.

Hank says it's a sign of healing... the people that study it says it's pretty simple:
"There is nothing especially mysterious about this," said Kathleen Andereck, the director of the Center for Sustainable Tourism at Arizona State University. "No more COVID protocols to deal with such as mask wearing, and less stress. That is what most of the drop is related to."
So maybe it's not healing, maybe it's just removing stresses that were induced by the pandemic, but the rest of the video is enjoyable along with this bizarre stat.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 6:25 am

The DB Cooper story might have a Pittsburgh connection!
Eric Ulis—the amateur sleuth who has made it his mission to solve the enduring D.B. Cooper mystery—thinks the infamous tie yields enough clues to finally reveal the skyjacker’s true identity.
“I would not be surprised at all if 2024 was the year we figure out who this guy was,” Ulis recently told Fox 13 Seattle.

Ulis has been fighting to free D.B. Cooper’s tie from FBI holds, even suing the government for access, saying that the 100,000 particles left behind on the clip-on fashion accessory can tell the definitive story about just who the tie belonged to, and where it traveled.
While hampered by the non-compliance of the FBI, Ulis says the $1.49 tie—purchased from JCPenney around Christmas 1964, and found on seat 18-E of the fateful airliner—contained a unique particle that was part-stainless steel and part-titanium.
Ulis tracked that smidge of detail from a decade-old scientific report on the Cooper case and used U.S. patent information to trace various particle fragments from the tie to Crucible Steel of Pennsylvania. Now, Ulis just needs access to the tie to bring modern technology into the fray.
“Headquartered in the suburbs of Pittsburgh, a significant subcontractor all throughout the 1960s, it supplied the lion’s share of titanium and stainless steel for Boeing’s aircraft,” Ulis said of the metal-fabric shop.

Experts believe that anyone skyjacking the plane the way D.B. Cooper did must have possessed insider knowledge of the Boeing 727 and of the Pacific Northwest. Crucible Steel workers regularly made the trip from Pennsylvania to Boeing’s headquarters in Seattle.

Ulis tracked the now-defunct company’s assets over the decades and picked through historical records to land on a specific person of interest: a man who worked at the company and was also in Seattle around the time of the skyjacking.

“This is also the time, 1971, when Boeing had this significant downtown,” Ulis said. “It’s reasonable to deduce that D.B. Cooper may well have been part of that downturn.”

Pinpointing his fixation on a specific titanium research engineer from Pittsburgh, Ulis thinks he has a strong lead. “I can put him in Seattle, I can put him at Boeing,” he said about the man that died in 2002. “He’s a compelling person of interest. He’s definitely someone I’m going to continue to dig into.”
https://apple.news/AspXVGjgvRxmrIeYdKwiteg

Ad@m

Postby Ad@m » Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:21 am

E-commerce giant eBay agreed to pay a $3 million criminal penalty in connection with the harassment and stalking of a Massachusetts couple, acting U.S. Attorney Joshua Levy said Thursday.

The couple, Ina and David Steiner, had been subjected to threats and bizarre deliveries, including live spiders, cockroaches, a funeral wreath and a bloody pig mask in August 2019.

Thursday's fine comes after several eBay employees ran a harassment and intimidation campaign against the Steiners, who publish a news website focusing on players in the e-commerce industry.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/feds-charg ... d-steiner/

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:59 am

E-commerce giant eBay agreed to pay a $3 million criminal penalty in connection with the harassment and stalking of a Massachusetts couple, acting U.S. Attorney Joshua Levy said Thursday.

The couple, Ina and David Steiner, had been subjected to threats and bizarre deliveries, including live spiders, cockroaches, a funeral wreath and a bloody pig mask in August 2019.

Thursday's fine comes after several eBay employees ran a harassment and intimidation campaign against the Steiners, who publish a news website focusing on players in the e-commerce industry.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/feds-charg ... d-steiner/
That article is absolutely bonkers. It seems impossible that it really happened.

Ad@m

Postby Ad@m » Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:34 am

:shock:

I couldn’t imagine being a coroner.
Five women are dead after being struck by a vehicle Tuesday night in Lackawanna County.

The Lackawanna County Coroner tells 28/22 News that a minivan containing four women was heading north when it hit the median just north of the Waverly exit.

According to the coroner, five people, including a separate individual who was driving behind them and stopped after the initial collision, had exited the vehicles and were struck by a tractor-trailer and killed.

The coroner states that all of the victims are from New York and appear to belong to the same family.

State police are investigating the deadly crash.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:53 am

There was a woman who slid off the interstate on icy stretch here yesterday morning during rush hour and she got out to walk around to the front of her car and the horror stories of people getting crushed hit me in a wave.
Stay in the car until help with sirens and lights arrives people.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:59 pm

https://www.statecollege.com/articles/l ... h-gJJAZCzI

I couldn't imagine having to live with that as the driver...

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:57 am

My aunt was a career pathologist, and she did plenty of autopsies. She once told me that the grossest one she ever had to do was a drowning victim who had been in the water for like a week (it made her throw up repeatedly), but by far the hardest ones were the ones on children. Just horrible.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:30 am

Freddy has a good ('good') story, iirc involving an unattended car (near a golf course?), from his time in the Marines.

shoeshine boy

Postby shoeshine boy » Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:29 am

:shock:

I couldn’t imagine being a coroner.

many years ago, I was a printer in a photo lab. the local DA would bring their crime scene photos in to get developed, which tells you how long ago this was. :lol:
a lot of these were autopsy photos so I have seen some truly gnarly things. we would never print these right before or right after lunch. by far the grossest ones were burn victims.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 10:05 am

My father in law was in the Air Force. When he was stationed up in Alaska in the early 1980s, one of the airmen in his command went AWOL for several days. He went over to the airman's house and found he had been murdered - shot, and then bludgeoned (his head was caved in). Drug deal gone bad evidently. :(

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:55 pm

Freddy has a good ('good') story, iirc involving an unattended car (near a golf course?), from his time in the Marines.
Heck yes. Dude was in there for three months. He had pulled off an unmarked access road on the backside of the long range weapons area at Quantico.

I see dead bodies regularly now, and while outside of two they are folks quietly resting in their bed or hospital gurney, it doesn't change too much.

Doing crime scene stuff you figured out real quick that it was one of those things you either could do or couldn't. There was no in between.

Ad@m

Postby Ad@m » Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:21 pm

No....... not the Christians

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:27 pm

so when is Joel Olsteen and the Catholic church getting charged with preying on folks to live a lavish lifestyle?