Star Wars discussion (SPOILERS INCLUDED)

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Oct 05, 2023 12:04 pm

"Somehow Palpatine returned" remains one of the single stupidest things I've ever heard a character say in a movie, and I feel bad for Oscar Isaac. It hurts me a little bit every time Screen Crush plays the clip in one of their Easter egg videos.

It has never been fully explained. They've dropped hints and clues and innuendos across multiple Filoni-verse shows now, but I think the Nightsisters/Great Mothers thing might finally offer up an explanation. I'm wondering if it might somehow involve the throng of worshippers on Exegol surrounding Palps' altar/chair/monitor arm thing he was attached to. Like, those aren't 'people' in the traditional sense, but rather re-animated Dathomiri corpses or something.

The zombie thing....... just enjoy the Clone Wars episodes, mate. :wink:

It seemed clear that's where Ahsoka was going plot-wise, so it made sense to include the Dathomir arc on the must-watch list. And with the final shot of Baylan Skoll standing on the not-Argonath statue, it's pretty clear that the recommendation of the Mortis arc was appropriate, too. (The three giant statues at the end of Ep 8 are the Mortis gods - the Father, the Son, and the damaged one is the Daughter.... vry important stuff, esp for Ahsoka, in light of the appearance of the Morai owl at the end, the moreso that they're all appearing in a completely different galaxy)

I don't know if you've ever played the game Jedi Fallen Order, but the Ahsoka show seems to have leaned pretty hard into the lore that was introduced in the plot of that game. Like, there is a super strong overlap in the Mortis arc from Clone Wars and Fallen Order that wasn't readily apparent four years ago when the game came out. There were suggestions that things might be connected, or at least similar, but it feels like this show just drew a solid Sharpie line connecting the dots.

At any rate, Fallen Order is an excellent game on its own merits, so it's not like you'd just be on an archaeology quest if you played it.

meecrofilm

Postby meecrofilm » Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:22 am

Now that the season is done, did I miss it, or did they never show the conversation between Sabine and Ezra re: the specifics of the events that led them to finding him? Considering the sacrifice he made back in the day, it would've been interesting to see his specific thoughts/reaction to the choice Sabine made earlier in the season. Seems like an important point that was completely glossed over.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:10 am

Nope. Never discussed it. And I agree, it should've been a fairly major character point, the juxtaposition between Ezra's selfless act and Sabine's self-centered act. (Or at least what appeared to be a decision motivated by selfishness..... clearly there are shenanigans afoot on Peridea, and it's good - storywise - that there are a couple Jedi-ish type people there now, who probably wouldn't have been there otherwise.)

eddy

Postby eddy » Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:33 am

Pretty sure they mentioned they did catch up but it was all off screen

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:57 am

Part Seven: Dreams and Madness

Sabine: You know, I was beginning to think we'd never find you.

Ezra: How did you?

S: What?

E: Find me. You never said.

S: It's complicated.

E: The usual level or worse?

S: Worse.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:58 am

(Sabine caught him up on all the goings on of the Rebellion against the Empire, but punted on the deets re how she found him.)

eddy

Postby eddy » Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:58 am

I thought in the last episode they mentioned something about it

eddy

Postby eddy » Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:58 am

Ah

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:01 pm

Reminds of the spectacular storytelling in TFA when Rey asked Maz how she had Luke's lightsaber. I believe the exact response was "A good story, for another time."

eddy

Postby eddy » Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:05 pm

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:05 pm

Re A good story, for another time

Haha, as lame as that was, it was compounded by the fact that Jar Jar Abrams returned for Ep IX and stayed mum on the point.

Although that did give birth to my favorite SW meme of all time.

Stoosh

Postby Stoosh » Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:01 pm

Re A good story, for another time

Haha, as lame as that was, it was compounded by the fact that Jar Jar Abrams returned for Ep IX and stayed mum on the point.

Although that did give birth to my favorite SW meme of all time.
I've never seen this meme before and this is hilarious.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:07 am

Shawna Trpcic, ‘The Mandalorian’ and ‘Ahsoka’ Costume Designer, Dies at 56

So sad to wake up to this news. In addition to being a super talented customer designer, she was a really great follow on social media. Incredibly engaging and obviously excited to be a part of the story. She had been posting about going on a camping trip outside of Palm Desert this weekend, and then this was first thing today.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:52 pm

So we're a week removed from Ahsoka, and there are a couple wrap up points and questions.
- Pretty uneven, to say the least. But generally very positive, and the highs were absolutely tremendous imo.

- One thing I don't think we ever really discussed in this group.............. how the hell are Morgan Elsbeth's holograms so clear??? Holo transmissions (even up through the time of the Sequel Trilogy) tend to look like they're grainy VHS copies of messages. But Morgan's holograms are like 1080p HD in comparison. They also render top-down (which I think is new), and are tinged green as opposed to the bluish hue of traditional SW holos. Does she possess high-end Nightsister messaging technology unknown to the rest of the galaxy? The same fidelity carries over to the holo table Thrawn uses, but that table is part of the Nightsister/Zeffo temple complex, not aboard the Chimaera.

- They did a good job of depicting Thrawn as a tactical genius, whose only real weakness continues to be the inability to understand - at all - the machinations of the Force. (If you look at his history in Legends and in Rebels, that's the only way he has ever lost an engagement; something Force-y happening that he couldn't predict.) However, he made one absolutely critical and utterly nonsensical blunder that I can't quite understand; the whole time they were loading the 'cargo' aboard the Chimaera they had to physically dock with the Temple spire. All well and good. But once that transfer was complete, why did he remain docked to the temple? Why not move the Chimaera to a slightly higher altitude to dock with the Eye of Sion hyperspace ring? If the ship's repulsors were damaged and they actually couldn't attain higher atmospheric flight, then why not just move the ship a kilometer or so off to the side? Staying physically so close to the temple created the only conceivable way the Jedi could board the ship, even if it ultimately required a super special double Force tommyknocker push. (Credit to Allen from Generation Tech for pointing this one out.)

- Thrawn's parting words were "Long live the Empire." Has.............. anyone.......... told him..................? I mean, the Rebellion was only a couple years in and there had only been a few major battles when he got whale-yeeted.

- Separating Sabine and Ezra before the come-to-Jesus moment of her explaining how she got to Peridea in the first place was maybe the biggest miss of the show. Set them up as potentially in conflict with each other when they get split up so their separation has even higher stakes.

- Tangential to that, it would've been interesting if Sabine had also made it aboard the Chimaera. That way we could've explored the possibility of Ezra taking over her training in the light of her revelation that she leveraged the fate of known civilization on the speculative chance of perhaps maybe one day hopefully seeing him again (fingers crossed). Another way to raise the character stakes that was not explored. I think it would've also amped up the Ahsoka-Baylan Skoll-Shin Hati triplet as they sorted themselves out in this new world and explored the ramifications of the blinky orange light.
Hope there's a Season 2 of this show, and not just a roll up into the Filoni-verse movie.

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:07 am

Cool rogue one poster on sale at noon today

https://bottleneckgallery.com/

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:41 am

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Nov 08, 2023 9:19 am

Finishing up Season2 of Rebels before I start my Asoka watch. Man I forgot how good it is. And it's funny, it's been a few years since I watched these episodes and I only watched once, but it's funny how when you go through a second watch, even years later, how much comes back.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Nov 08, 2023 12:29 pm

I only watched the final season of Rebels 'new', everything else was binge watched in the course of like 1 week. So I have a super jumbled memory of what happened when.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:17 pm

Happy Life Day, nerds!

NAN

Postby NAN » Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:16 pm

I only watched the final season of Rebels 'new', everything else was binge watched in the course of like 1 week. So I have a super jumbled memory of what happened when.
I'm kind of surprised at this. I always imaged you were the type of guy that would have watched it like 5 or 6 times through and knew every line.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:42 pm

Oh, the best episodes and mini-arcs I've watched like three dozen times. lol

But it's usually totally out of context and in jumbled order.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:21 pm

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:53 pm

:thumb:

I mean, he more or less has been for like 8 years, yeah?

meecrofilm

Postby meecrofilm » Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:51 pm

nocera

Postby nocera » Sat Dec 02, 2023 7:18 pm

Was this recent or was it from when the sequel trilogy was being released? I agree that Star Wars is for kids. I don’t really care for the interpretation that the characters’ actions don’t matter because the force controls everything that happens. In that case, the movies, tv shows, everything are all **** pointless. If everything is already written, nothing matters. Obviously these characters are “arc types.” That doesn’t mean that their actions are inconsequential.

In the words of another franchise, “there is no fate but what we make for ourselves.”