Star Wars discussion (SPOILERS INCLUDED)

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:02 pm

Clone Wars only has a handful of episodes that are worth it.

Rebels in it's entirety is amazing - I can't recommend it enough.

Bad Batch is fun.

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:17 pm

Source of the post The animated stuff ranges from poor to inconsistent, to among the best stories in all of SW.
I need to find a list of just the "best stories in all of SW" episodes. I tried this one but obviously struggled.

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:28 pm

That's too many Clone Wars episodes to be a "best" list.

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:32 pm

I figured. I don't think I made it out of season 2. If somebody could point me to a legit best of list with a not crazy amount of episodes, I will give them another go.

The real talk is I wish I loved Ahsoka as much as everybody else here does. It's not like I want to feel left behind by the new direction of SW and the Filoniverse. Maybe I just haven't seen the good stuff because of the stuff I've seen... "inconsistent" is a far nicer description than deserved.
Last edited by nocera on Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:37 pm

There are maybe 15 episodes of The Clone Wars I'd say are 'best', and that includes several multiple-episode mini-arcs. 20 at the absolute outside most. And the only one of those mini-arcs I'd consider anything like 'essential' would be the Mortis stories from Se 3, because it delves into some deep spiritual/metaphysical/ethereal Force whizbangery.

The entirety of Se 7 stands alone, imo; it was done several years after the fact and without Lucas' direct involvement, and as such is much consistently high quality.

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:41 pm

@tifosi77, point me in the direction of a list of 20 best episodes (not including season 7 which I'll watch after).

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:06 pm

Okay, give me a bit to pull them all together.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:08 pm

I fondly remember an epsiode featuring a tiny General and some droids.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:09 pm

A Sunny Day in the Void

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:12 pm

Ok, a tiny Colonel.

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:13 pm

Okay, give me a bit to pull them all together.
:thumb: I was expecting a link but I do appreciate you putting one together. Spread the cartoon love.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:23 pm

So these aren't necessarily the best episodes of The Clone Wars, but they are probably the most relevant to what's going on in live action with the Filoni-verse. These episodes are part of their own story arcs comprised of 2 - 4 episodes each. You don't need to watch anything outside the bounds of each arc, but if you watch one episode in an arc you'd be well served to watch all of them, if that makes sense. I think you already know the 50,000-foot on the main characters (except maybe Assaj Ventress, who is rad).

There are some really good episodes from Ses 1 and 2, but they tend to focus more on the Clones and Capt Rex and whatnot. As I was pulling this together I realized that I haven't actually seen any episodes from season 6 (The Lost Missions) that aired on Netflix. But I think all seven seasons are on D+ now.
Se 3
The Dathomir trilogy ("Nightsisters", "Monster", "Witches Of The Mist", eps 12 - 14)
The Mortis trilogy ("Overlords", "Altar Of Mortis", "Ghosts Of Mortis", eps 15 - 17)
(Note the Dathomir and Mortis trilogies are actually six consecutive episodes; their stories have gotten more relevant to the future direction of SW with the recent developments in Ahsoka)

Se 4
The Zabrak story ("Massacre" (ep 19), "Brothers" (ep 21), "Revenge" (ep 22)...ep 20 in the middle of this doesn't really fit in)

Se 5
The Mandalore arc ("Shades Of Reason", "The Lawless" (eps 15 & 16))
The Temple series ("Sabotage", "The Jedi Who Knew Too Much", "To Catch a Jedi", "The Wrong Jedi" (eps 17 - 20))
(Note that this bloc from Se 5 is six consecutive episodes)

If you're going to watch all of Se 7, you'll get a lot of what's what re Bo-Katan and her prior efforts to become Boss Lady Of Mandalore. (The rest of course being covered in Rebels :wink: )

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:50 pm

Hey thanks. I’ll get to work on these next week. And because you helped me out, I won’t tell you if I hate it.

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:14 pm

I don't think I've seen anything but the maul and night sisters episodes of clone wars and those were very very good

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Oct 03, 2023 9:16 am

Started watching Rebels again. Half way through season 1. I figured I'd do this before I binge Ashoka. It's still as good as I remember. Lot's of fun.

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:36 am

Riot

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Oct 04, 2023 11:52 am

Not a fully stuck landing, but not a bed s**ting, either. Sort of an odd payoff to the build up.

I did not like that Baylan and Shin were reduced to more or less cameo roles. (They are in a bind wrt Baylan, unless m abye Liev Schreiber wants to be in a Star War) I am not a fan of Sabine suddenly becoming Force-y........ and where did she get her helmet?? I thought her helmet had been left behind on Seatos? The Force jump to get Ezra aboard the Chimaera was........ silly, but not the worst party foul in the world. My main complaint as SW has grown older is that the Force becomes less mystical and more magical, and what I had liked so much about stories like Rogue One, The Last Jedi, and up to now with Ahsoka was that it touched on that theme. But that jump was straight up voodoo.

It was fun watching Ezra building a lightsaber. I have no idea where he got a kyber crystal, never mind a blue one. But it was cool that it had the OG lightsaber ignite/retract sounds, and it looked to me as if they rendered the blade a bit thinner in a visual homage to the skinny blades from animation, but I could just be imagining that.

But Thrawn is now back in the galaxy, and he has a cargo hold full of corpses and his own coven of witches in tow. Ezra Bridger is now with the New Republic to bear witness to the skullduggery afoot, and Ahsoka and Sabine (and Huyang) are stranded on Peridea in a completely different galaxy. I have no idea where the story is headed now, and I'm stoked.

Sam's Drunk Dog

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Wed Oct 04, 2023 12:15 pm

I'm guessing Ahsoka brought Sabine's helmet with her.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Oct 04, 2023 12:35 pm

For sure; there's a scene where Huyang is holding it and having an "Alas, poor Yorick" moment. But if they're going to make Sabine donning it again into a Moment (a new (other) Mandalorian Jedi!), there should've been a scene of decision for Ahsoka/Huyang to be sure they're bringing it along on their space whale journey. Like showing the character's trust in the Force. "We're about to make a super sketchy hyperspace jump using some gigantic space creatures as our guides.......... be sure to bring Sabine's helmet so we can return it to her."

I don't know if I'm just forgetting such a scene, or what.

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:49 pm

Didn't watch it yet and trying to figure out why I came here and read everything. ****.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:27 pm

Thrawn's look in Ahsoka has always bothered me and it just hit me while watching the finale. He looks exactly like a blue Elon Musk.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:27 pm

That should make him that much more hate-able, no?

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:05 pm

I had two "issues" with the show

1. Wanted to see Ezra and Thrawn face to face
2. No Zeb

Minor, I know. Otherwise I enjoyed it.

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Oct 05, 2023 7:04 am

I enjoyed the last episode, thought it was the best of the series and probably should have been the first episode of the series. Ezra, witches and Thrawn were easily the best parts, shame it took as long as it did for this show to get where it was going
I got choked up a few times during the episode. I think star war has a problem with who and who can't use the force and it's pretty inconsistent how that works and why some of the things that happened in the past future happened like they did now. I don't even really mind she can use the force, it's just how hard it was for everyone else in the galaxy and all of a sudden, now she has it. I guess in the end, I liked her more as a spy who could blow **** up rather than a Mando Jedi. So is Baylan and Ashoka the dad and daughter of the ancient force people now? What's up with ashokas owl saying hi? Sabine will study here and become a super Jedi now? The witch stuff was very rad. Ezra bouncing out with the stormtrooper outfit was fitting, but felt a little cheap. I did lose it when chop went to him.

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Oct 05, 2023 9:15 am

I didn't find that finale particularly satisfying but considering my thoughts on the series, that's not really surprising. I won't get into details to try to avoid sounding like a broken record but I will just quickly say that
zombie Stormtroopers and witches don't feel very Star Warsy to me. Is this how they're going to explain the "somehow Palpatine returned" thing? Or was that already explained? I've done my best to remove that trash movie from my memory.
[broken record warning] This would've been a fine 2.5 hour movie. Onto tif's Clone Wars list.