Movie Thread

mikey

Movie Thread

Postby mikey » Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:30 pm

Ok. She's the worst person or character to appear on the screen of a movie or documentary.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:24 pm

dodint

Movie Thread

Postby dodint » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:26 pm

*skip*

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Movie Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:36 pm

I was intrigued by Monkey Man’s trailer but it seems to be getting lukewarm reviews which is disappointing. Doesn’t seem to be worth going to the theaters for

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:52 pm

Looking forward to this, man do I wish he was still around making magic

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:04 pm

Jim Henson is one of the top........ 10? storytellers and creative minds in the history of moving pictures.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:04 am

Happy alien day to those who celebrate

mikey

Movie Thread

Postby mikey » Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:06 pm

Hmm.. dude directed Edge of Tomorrow, The Bourne Identity, Swingers. Hell, go ahead and throw Mr & Mrs Smith and Jumper in there as fun flicks. But yeah, sure, a straight to video Roadhouse remake with Connor McGregor is the best movie he's ever made.
The original Roadhouse movie is a horrendous concept, but a decent movie.

Like, why would there be this known league of bouncers? And businessmen try to draft them or procure them from other places? Ugh, it's so dumb. But...the movie is actually good, despite the concept.

This reboot is even weaker from a concept perspective and the movie is much, much worse...I guess it's trying to wink at how silly it is in the process, but it's so flat, the script is really bad, the acting is butt (besides Jake)...just a completely pointless reboot that fails quite miserably...

It's like a made-for-TV movie, but seemingly with a huge budget (except for the CGI)

skullman80

Movie Thread

Postby skullman80 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:13 pm

I've watched Terminator and T2 back to back this morning while working (on VHS on a CRT no less), and man are those two movies still really really good. They have a dynamic much like Alien/Aliens to me where the first one is much less action reliant and a bit darker, and the second really ups the action and effects. Both great movies though, and the T2 special effects still hold up to this day.

mikey

Movie Thread

Postby mikey » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:19 pm

MIMH, VHS is like a video cassette tape. It's like two little film rolls inside of an old Nintendo cartridge. And CRT is a fat back television. They were so heavy and the weight distributed so unevenly, you thought you were carrying the on-screen actors in the box itself...

Anyway, carry on, skully...I didn't want our young friend here to feel left out...

MR25

Movie Thread

Postby MR25 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:25 pm

It's weird, I just went like 8 years without anyone referencing VHS in any form of conversation and now it's come up like 3 times in the past 2 weeks.

skullman80

Movie Thread

Postby skullman80 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:30 pm

I'm the guy who still buys VHS tapes when I see them going for like a buck and its a movie I like. Don't get me wrong I love my 4k tv and that whole experience when movies get remastered or what not, but watching 80's and 90's movies on VHS on a CRT just feels right to me sometimes. Much like video games...nostalgia is a helluva drug.

mikey

Movie Thread

Postby mikey » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:35 pm

Baader-Meinhof ^ @m@MR25

dodint

Movie Thread

Postby dodint » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:37 pm

The storage considerations for VHS is up there, though. I think I have maybe 10 of them.

skullman80

Movie Thread

Postby skullman80 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:42 pm

Yes storage can be annoying....I've been on the lookout for one of those old wooden VHS things with the doors that swing open...haven't found one yet though. For right now all of my vhs just sit haphazardly on a shelf. I'm up to about 40 or so at the moment.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:43 pm

I can see the appeal of vinyl. I cannot see the appeal of movies on VHS. It's an objectively worse experience. When it comes to old sprite-based gaming, I totally get CRTs.

Oh and I'm assuming the majority of films on VHS are pan and scan. Hard pass. I'm big on nostalgia too, but this is one of those areas where it was worse when we were kids.

skullman80

Movie Thread

Postby skullman80 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:48 pm

Yeah I don't think many movies were made in widescreen till the very end, but most people back in the VHS days didn't care about that they were just happy to be able to watch a movie at home, or they would complain about black bars.

I ran into alot of that at Giant Eagle video even with DVD's. Lots of dvd's weren't widescreen at first either. People hated the black bars saying they were losing picture no matter how many times I would explain how it all worked.

I also don't disagree it's worse experience, but I still enjoy it from time to time. Especially with 80's and 90's movies. Just a comfort feeling.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:04 pm

TMNT on VHS on a CRT? I'd be down for that. When VHS tapes were being phased out, I bought up a lot of them at Blockbusters and Goodwill. I had a pretty big collection at some point. But after college and then a few moves, I've lost track of them. I'm guessing they were thrown out when my folks moved to Florida.

Similarly, I'm not sure what to do with my extensive DVD collection. I've been slowly upgrading the favorites to blu-ray and now 4k but there's still a ton of DVDs left. If I ever move again, I'm not so sure they'd make the move with me except for the rare ones. Those 720x480 dvds look like absolute ass on a 4k tv.

skullman80

Movie Thread

Postby skullman80 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:14 pm

I only have a handful of dvd's left..mostly stuff that was never released on blu ray or 4k. I probably have more VHS than I do DVD at this point. I have a pretty expansive BR and 4k collection though...every time something gets upgraded or gets a special edition I have to buy it. I have like 4 versions of Ghostbusters between br and 4k...not to mention my vhs copies.

I do have all 3 TMNT movies on VHS, and the first one especially (and 2 really) were one of my earliest childhood VHS memories. I had the Vanilla Ice Ninja Rap single too that I got at a dollar store that just had the performance on it and nothing else. I wore that thing out. It goes on ebay now for like 10-15$....I've almost pulled the trigger a few times.

Beveridge

Movie Thread

Postby Beveridge » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:49 pm

Yes storage can be annoying....I've been on the lookout for one of those old wooden VHS things with the doors that swing open...haven't found one yet though. For right now all of my vhs just sit haphazardly on a shelf. I'm up to about 40 or so at the moment.
I'll keep you mind when I have to sell all my parents stuff some day. Got one in the back corner of the living room with all the VHS tapes in it.

skullman80

Movie Thread

Postby skullman80 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:53 pm

I'll keep you mind when I have to sell all my parents stuff some day. Got one in the back corner of the living room with all the VHS tapes in it.
:fist:

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Movie Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:13 pm

MIMH, VHS is like a video cassette tape. It's like two little film rolls inside of an old Nintendo cartridge. And CRT is a fat back television. They were so heavy and the weight distributed so unevenly, you thought you were carrying the on-screen actors in the box itself...

Anyway, carry on, skully...I didn't want our young friend here to feel left out...
having 4 older siblings and having been voluntold to be the designated fast forwarder and rewinder, I know what VHS is thank you very much

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:24 pm

having 4 older siblings and having been voluntold to be the designated fast forwarder and rewinder, I know what VHS is thank you very much
This just knocked a memory loose of being at my grandparent's house where they still had one of those huge old console TVs with the knob. It did not have a remote so I would have to sit next to the TV, clicking through the channels until my grandpa found something he liked.

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:15 pm

I have a co-worker who is the same age I was when I moved to CA. (That means she had not yet been born when I moved to CA.) The other day I had to explain to her who Roger Ebert was.

mikey

Movie Thread

Postby mikey » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:30 pm

For the last six months or longer, I have semi-regularity gone back and watched old Siskel & Ebert episodes. They're laugh out loud funny at times. I love those guys.