Movie Thread

blackjack68

Movie Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Fri May 14, 2021 8:40 am

I hope it translates as well as Ryan Reynolds’s passion to play Deadpool.

PFiDC

Movie Thread

Postby PFiDC » Fri May 14, 2021 9:43 am

Thinking about going to see Spiral today

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri May 14, 2021 9:46 am

I hope it translates as well as Ryan Reynolds’s passion to play Deadpool.
I imagine it would. Gears is one of my favorite games, and Marcus is basically a digital version of Bautista.

DigitalGypsy66

Movie Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri May 14, 2021 11:54 am

I watched a couple of Russell Crowe movies over the last few days (both on Netflix), both with Pittsburgh ties.

State of Play was from 2009, and it was about a reporter investigating the murder of a congressman's aide. The reporter (Crowe) and Congressman (Ben Affleck) were college roommates. Although it's set in DC, Crowes' character is called Yinzer and wears/uses Steelers/Pirates gear throughout. He even calls the Affleck character Sliberty for East Liberty, where Affleck's character is from. Great cast with Rachel McAdams, Helen Mirren, and some other familiar faces. Lots of angst in 2009 about newspapers losing revenue to their blog counterparts. Yikes. :lol:

The Next Three Days was filmed in Pittsburgh, and the city plays a big role in the movie. Almost a character, really. Was this the film that was shooting during the 2009 Cup run? Crowe plays a professor whose wife (Elizabeth Banks) is accused of murdering her boss. Crowe decides to break her out and reunite their family. It ran a little long at times, and I found some of it stressful to watch because of the young son Crowe had. Great supporting cast with Brian Dennehy, Liam Neeson, Lenny James as a cop, and Olivia Wilde.

Crowe does love him some Pittsburgh, though. I vaguely remember something about filming Mystery, Alaska, and training with someone from Pittsburgh for the skating scenes or something like that. Pretty cool though.

shafnutz05

Movie Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri May 14, 2021 12:38 pm

Bautista as Marcus in a Gears movie would be absolutely **** insane. This needs to happen now that I know how passionate he is about the role.
Oh man, I could not agree more. I love that Batista is a GoW fanboi.

shmenguin

Movie Thread

Postby shmenguin » Fri May 14, 2021 5:53 pm

For a while, Ocean's 11 seemed to me like a mailed-in ensemble project with too many cooks in the kitchen and nobody really fulfilling their potential as performers.

But now in my old age...It's a fun, dumb movie and I like it...to the extent that it's basically perfect for what it is.

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Fri May 14, 2021 6:10 pm

Both versions of Ocean's 11 were basically just pretextual reasons for people who largely knew each other and hung out socially to get together for a few months in Vegas and make a movie.

Also, I love that in nearly every scene he's in, Rusty is eating.

Troy Loney

Movie Thread

Postby Troy Loney » Fri May 14, 2021 6:21 pm

For a while, Ocean's 11 seemed to me like a mailed-in ensemble project with too many cooks in the kitchen and nobody really fulfilling their potential as performers.

But now in my old age...It's a fun, dumb movie and I like it...to the extent that it's basically perfect for what it is.
Pitt and Clooney have so much natural charisma. Makes it so easy to watch

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Sat May 15, 2021 2:16 pm

Watched Ocean's 11 last night and had such a good time that I decided to keep the party going and watch Ocean's 12 today. What a mistake.
11 is so good and 12 is soooo bad. 13 is nowhere near as good as 11 but is on the right track and is at least fun. 12 is completely devoid of fun. 11 is a movie that I’ll sit down and watch anytime I see it’s on.
Yep 13 is much better than 12 but still not close to 11. Now I'm trying to decide if 8 is worth watching.
If you want to feel better about 12, go ahead.
I found 8 as bad as 12 but for different reasons. The main draw of these movies for me is the charisma of the actors involved. Not one of the characters in 8 had a sliver of the charisma of ANY of the 11 characters. They all hit the exact same note and that note was flat.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sat May 15, 2021 3:53 pm

@DigitalGypsy66: Just watched Stowaway. Not bad, but I think I’d have preferred more to the ending, personally.

DigitalGypsy66

Movie Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sat May 15, 2021 4:24 pm

Yeah, I agree. I'm just getting used to longer TV series that have more time to expand on stuff like that.

PFiDC

Movie Thread

Postby PFiDC » Sat May 15, 2021 7:29 pm

Spiral was terrible

blackjack68

Movie Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Sat May 15, 2021 7:39 pm

I’m shocked.

PFiDC

Movie Thread

Postby PFiDC » Sat May 15, 2021 7:44 pm

I like the Saw movies. This was a really bad attempt at one.

skullman80

Movie Thread

Postby skullman80 » Sat May 15, 2021 8:00 pm

Saw peaked at Saw 2....then I think 6 wasn't bad, but the others were just not good.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Movie Thread

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Sun May 16, 2021 9:00 am

Eva Mendes in Training Day...

Dickie Dunn

Movie Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sun May 16, 2021 9:05 am

robbiestoupe

Movie Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon May 17, 2021 10:47 am

This gif was used 1000 times during the 2017 Cup run and I laughed every single time. And seeing this now made me laugh so hard I nearly drooled on my keyboard.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Mon May 17, 2021 11:10 am

Watched RAD 3 times over the weekend. What an incredible piece of cinema history.

Pavel Bure

Movie Thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Mon May 17, 2021 11:34 am

Wrong thread
Last edited by Pavel Bure on Mon May 17, 2021 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Mon May 17, 2021 2:21 pm

For reasons unknown to me, Universal just put out a pre-order for Howard the Duck in 4k. Scott pilgrim is also getting the 4k treatment and I'm pretty excited about that.

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Mon May 17, 2021 2:24 pm

Guy at Konami who did the license for Castlevania gave up perpetual worldwide animation rights go for a one-time royalty-free fee of $7,500.

I don't care what confidentiality rights I'm violating by letting people know that, but that guy should be absolutely roasted for such irresponsibility.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Mon May 17, 2021 2:28 pm

Guy at Konami who did the license for Castlevania gave up perpetual worldwide animation rights go for a one-time royalty-free fee of $7,500.

I don't care what confidentiality rights I'm violating by letting people know that, but that guy should be absolutely roasted for such irresponsibility.
Does every video game have animation rights tied into it from the beginning? How exactly does that work?

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Mon May 17, 2021 2:57 pm

All rights to any exploitation of IP are vested with the creator from the outset. Copyright, for example, exists from the moment of creation (the actual phrase is "a work fixed in a tangible medium of expression"). Trademark is a source identifier for goods and/or services (you can't 'verb' a trademark; you'll never hear a Google employee talking about 'Googling' something..... they do a 'Google search'), so you have to establish that you are the first person to use that mark, and in most countries that you are the first to file such provenance with the government. Sort of the same with patent rights. In the case of copyright, filing the IP with the government really just streamlines your ability to enforce your rights in court, but if you don't file it doesn't change the fact that you own the IP. Whereas with trademark rights you sort of have to file for recognition as the originator/owner of the mark in order to press an infringement claim and collect damages.
If you do not have any intention of exploiting the IP in a given medium (animation, live-action, subsequent interactive works, etc), you can license the right to another party for such use. That can be for quite a lot of money, or it can be for no money, but it's wise (on the other party's part) to have that piece of paper that says "the owner of this IP says I can use their IP in this certain defined fashion, and I have paid good and valuable consideration for such rights - the receipt and sufficiency of which is hereby acknowledged by the the IP rights holder." Because infringement of IP rights can be mercilessly punished. Willful copyright infringement for profit, for example, can cost the infringing party I think something like $250,000 per instance. Which is why YouTube videos that feature copyrighted content - even if they are legit Fair Use - are almost always instantly de-monetized by the platform, absent proof of a license between the content creator and the IP owner where there's a revenue share arrangement; so if not de-monetized, a Rick Beato "What Makes This Song Great" video that gets 2 million views could theoretically cost him $250,000 x 2,000,000 in penalties. You may remember the RIAA pressing a claim - and getting an actual award of damages - against that soccer mom in Minnesota for making what amounted to a mixtape for some of her friends. Because that's an effective thing to do, Music Industry.

Re Rick Beato -- He recently had a video taken down and was given a copyright strike by YouTube for a Joni Mitchell video, that Joni Mitchell herself appeared in and shared on her own social media pages. The platform revisited their rebuke in fairly short order. I've mentioned before that YouTube would take gameplay videos down from the official Konami page - of our own games, that we uploaded - and we'd get notices that we were getting a strike for using copyrighted content, and then a day or so later another notice that the platform had removed infringing copyrighted content from a channel on our behalf. Literally happened 2, 3 times a month for around six months.

DigitalGypsy66

Movie Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon May 17, 2021 3:20 pm

Rewatched Jackie Brown (HBO Max) for the first time since the theaters in 1997. Like someone else here said, I really didn't appreciate it as much coming off of Pulp Fiction. Holds up really well, but I remembered very little about it - no recollection of Robert DeNiro or Michael Keaton even in it.

The writing was tighter than most QT scripts, and that's probably because it was adapted from an Elmore Leonard novel (who writes very lean). Michael Keaton reprises his character in another Elmore Leonard novel turned screenplay - Out of Sight. Had no recollection of that either. :lol:

I had forgotten completely about Bridget Fonda who hasn't acted since a Hallmark film (!!!) in 2002. She turned down a role on Private Practice or some other big TV drama at the time to focus on movies...and never really worked again. Had a kid with Danny Elfman and basically retired from acting. Odd.