Movie Thread

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:27 pm

When they announced Alpa to come out for Best Picture, I said "This will go off the rails in under a minute".

skullman80

Movie Thread

Postby skullman80 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:25 am

I have Ghostbusters II on vhs on as background noise today and while its nowhere near as good as the first film, it still has its moments. The courtroom scene is a ton of fun, and the river of slime thing is a cool concept. The statue of liberty is obviously cool and what everyone remembers, but everything in between just doesn't work as well as the first film for whatever reason.

DigitalGypsy66

Movie Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 10:41 am

:lol:

mikey

Movie Thread

Postby mikey » Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:19 pm

Came out of parasite last night thinking that I’ve never seen anything like it. I thought it was quite an illustration of what happens to people when they feel like they have nothing to lose.
I just watched this for the first time. Really good movie. Interesting plot. I was pretty surprised by the ending. I've been on a run of pretty bad movies recently, it was nice to break that spell...

Troy Loney

Movie Thread

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:07 pm

Once I forget everything about that movie, I’ll be ready for a rewatch

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:08 am

92 years old and sharp as a **** tack. "People ask about a legacy, I don't think about that very much. I think I'm much too young to think about such things."

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:55 pm

He is, as they say, awesome.

meecrofilm

Movie Thread

Postby meecrofilm » Fri Mar 15, 2024 12:20 pm

Saw Dune 2 last night and it was **** awesome
I too watched it yesterday, it was indeed **** awesome. Love how simple and coherent Villeneuve made this. I have a few minor complaints, but nothing that took away from the movie. I also watched the first one before part two and it was so good on rewatch. He did a good joke b basically making part two a stand alone movie.

They had a trailer for RAD (coming back to theaters for a night) and I'll be honest, seeing clips from rad in a packed theater sorta threw off my dune experience. Took me a while to switch from rad to Maud dib mode.
I'm unbelievably upset I have a conflict on RAD day. Cannot get over it.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:25 pm

Saw Dune 2 last night and it was **** awesome
I too watched it yesterday, it was indeed **** awesome. Love how simple and coherent Villeneuve made this. I have a few minor complaints, but nothing that took away from the movie. I also watched the first one before part two and it was so good on rewatch. He did a good joke b basically making part two a stand alone movie.

They had a trailer for RAD (coming back to theaters for a night) and I'll be honest, seeing clips from rad in a packed theater sorta threw off my dune experience. Took me a while to switch from rad to Maud dib mode.
I'm unbelievably upset I have a conflict on RAD day. Cannot get over it.
Yes, me too. all my kids have stupid after school activities all evening. Going to have to celebrate when I get home later in the night.

mikey

Movie Thread

Postby mikey » Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:48 pm

saw Poor Things. I enjoyed it and it’s definitely worth a watch but my god, why the **** do filmmakers these days love making movies that are too long? 2 hours would’ve been a perfect runtime for it but there was a kind of random plot thread at the end that drags on and adds almost nothing to the story. The pay off for it was eye roll-y

that said, still really smart, quite funny and very “weird”, but in an intriguing manner. I wanted to give it a 8.2ish but the interminable end of the film left a bad final taste so I give it a 7.7
Agree with everything, except the bolded, which I very much disagree with:
One of the (many) themes explored in the film is the cruel nature of humankind. The last section shows the filmmakers' thoughts on the great nature vs. nurture debate of whether cruelty is learned, or innate. Having Willem Dafoe's character double as both God and a father figure to Bella is quite convenient in this regard. By showing us Bella's past life, that she was a huge piece of ****, as was her husband, we know that the brain that was put in her body was fathered and mothered by two horrible people. If it's "nature," she's going to turn out horrible as well.

By eventually having Bella develop into someone who is not, for lack of a better term, an dadhole, the film clearly shows it's support of the "nurture" side. We're not necessarily doomed -- we can choose to attempt to leave the world better off than when we came in by showing a compassionate, nurturing disposition to those that come after us. THAT is the payoff for the final section, not the comeuppance in the form of a sight gag in a film full of sight gags.
Just saw it last night. Appreciate that insight, I didn’t think about that.

Was mostly just in awe of her performance. The physical acting was so good. The comedic stuff, not just Bella’s insatiable horniness.
I do also agree about the run time. I think the whoring episode was too long, could have maybe cut that down 10 minutes and kept the moving just around 2 hours.
Watched this last night. Agree with m-film and TL.

Also, how did they get this to an R rating? ****** Showgirls was NC-17...everyone in town is teeing off on a child for half the movie, and that didn't push it over to NC-17 haha

Anyway, watching this on the back of Parasite gave me a couple of interesting concept movies in short succession...I hope Emma wins something for her performance, I actually wouldn't even mind if Ruffalo and Dafoe were around it too...most importantly, the music/score...positively chilling. Hope whoever did that gets a nice plaque...

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:53 pm

Emma Stone took home Best Actress at the Oscars. The film also won for production design, costume design, and makeup and hairstyling. It seems like others here were much higher on it than I was but I would like to read the book as that sounds like a much more interesting "take" on the story.

mikey

Movie Thread

Postby mikey » Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:58 pm

Oh, awards already happened for this? Hmph...I don't pay any attention.

I doubt I'll read the book, but I would read about the differences if given the opportunity...

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:50 pm

I read about it a while back but the biggest change is the Bella character is not the main character. The way in understood it, the book has a few narrators and each one is fairly unreliable so a portion of the story is told from her ex-husbands POV and basically paints her as a liar who came up with that whole story so she could leave him and sleep around. As a reader you’re not sure which version is true.

Troy Loney

Movie Thread

Postby Troy Loney » Sat Mar 16, 2024 2:52 pm

People were mad that Lily Gladstone didn't win. And she was definitely great. I've also heard some film snob people whining about Poor Things.

Sure, Poor Things was over the top in the setting, but the story was fun and the performances were all great.

AuthorTony

Movie Thread

Postby AuthorTony » Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:06 pm

I made it about 15 min into Poor Things and bailed. I like weird, but I just couldn't get into it. Maybe I'll try it again some time.

I don't think Gladstone should have been nominated for lead actress. People say her character was the emotional heart of the movie, and maybe that's true, but it felt like a supporting role in every way.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:08 pm

I think Lily Gladstone’s performance was better but the character wasn’t featured enough for a best actress win.

Troy Loney

Movie Thread

Postby Troy Loney » Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:13 pm

Dicaprio not getting a nominated for best actor is a travesty.

I saw that Holdovers and Maestro. I have no problem with Giamatti's nomination, he was great. Maestro was a joke and his performance was too much.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Movie Thread

Postby count2infinity » Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:55 pm

Rewatched A League of Their Own… which lead me to reading the wiki on intentional walks in baseball.

In the movie, Racine is up by a run, top of the 9th. 2 outs and runners on 2nd and 3rd for Rockford. Their best batter is up… you walk her. There isn’t a manager in all of baseball that doesn’t walk her.

Made me wonder if intentional walks were even a thing back then. They were. Babe Ruth once struck out with bases loaded when they were trying to walk him. :lol:

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:01 am

Such a nostalgic thing for me; it was on HBO the month I moved into my first apartment, and we watched it like 15 times.

And I don't think Rockford walked Kit because Dottie thought they could get her chasing. That's why I'll never buy into the notion that Dottie ultimately dropped the ball on purpose.

mikey

Movie Thread

Postby mikey » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:20 am

The Lake House - Ugh, what a sack of flaming garbage.

They figure out and just agree to the "twist" (a mailbox that exchanges messages two years in the future or past, ensuring maximum possible disinterest because 2006 to 2004 is not an interesting time dynamic) like 22 minutes in. Then, the same exact thing happens over and over again...they exchange letters, they meet, they hookup, they trade books, all multiple times...

Why was Sandra checking mail at the place that she doesn't live at any more in the first place? Do they know that mailbox flags are for outgoing mail?

It's acted as if there's someone holding cue cards off screen and no one bothered with their lines...

"Two years.............CARD! ...from tomorrow." - Keanu.............Reeves.

Whole trees grow in two years here. Early in the movie, someone goes into the attic of a place that clearly doesn't have an attic (it's a movie with architecture undertones, so that matters)...it just stinks conceptually, the acting is bad, the writing is bad, the set design is bad, the costumes are bad...it's just a whole sale barf bag...

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:27 am

The Commitments was our st Pat's day movie and it's always great. I'm not sure which movie has the most curse words in it, but this one has to be up there with the most. kids enjoyed how they all spoke.

dodint

Movie Thread

Postby dodint » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:28 am

It's weird that the goalie from Youngblood didn't have a steady career of solid performances.

Trip McNeely

Movie Thread

Postby Trip McNeely » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:35 am

Dicaprio not getting a nominated for best actor is a travesty.

I saw that Holdovers and Maestro. I have no problem with Giamatti's nomination, he was great. Maestro was a joke and his performance was too much.
You know, I felt DiCaprio’s performance, while good, was his worst in recent memory. I think his roles in Wolf of Wall Street, revenent, and Once upon a time were better. It’s more that I think he’s the best in every movie but was just slightly disappointed by flower moon

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:16 am

mikey, I'm worried about your film selections. You seem to purposefully choose trash movies and then get mad when they are trash.

skullman80

Movie Thread

Postby skullman80 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:17 am

Totally forgot Ghostbusters came out this week. Finally another reason to go to the movies. I think the last movie we saw in the theaters was Barbie.