Movie Thread

dodint

Movie Thread

Postby dodint » Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:08 pm

What's left of her.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:09 pm

Yep. And directed by Eli Roth, wrapped 2 or 3 years ago, then last year they did reshoots with another director. So, you know, all the makings of a great film.

Kane

Movie Thread

Postby Kane » Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:10 pm

Cate Blanchett can be in whatever she wants as far as I'm concerned. Giggity.

DigitalGypsy66

Movie Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:20 pm

Sam Mendes is directing a biopic for each of the four Beatles, and the films will intertwine (I guess like Letters from Iwo Jima and Flags of our Fathers). That's interesting.

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:41 pm

Borderlands does not interest me and I have no dog in the hunt. But Craig Mazin was involved initially, which might offer a ray of hope.

We are approaching a reality in which Ariana Greenblatt and Nandi Bushell are going to run everything by the time they are adults.

meecrofilm

Movie Thread

Postby meecrofilm » Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:16 pm

Sam Mendes is directing a biopic for each of the four Beatles, and the films will intertwine (I guess like Letters from Iwo Jima and Flags of our Fathers). That's interesting.
Enter the BCU.

Interesting is also the dominant word for describing my reaction.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:14 pm

Zone of Interest. This movie is brilliant and disturbing. It’s obviously a shoo-in for best international film but I think it should challenge for best picture as well (it won’t). I would also love to see it take best sound (it won’t). It has some of the best sound design of any movie I’ve seen in some time. It would not be the same experience with a more traditional sound design. Really amazing stuff.

shafnutz05

Movie Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:26 pm

Cate Blanchett and Kevin Hart being in the same film is very confusing to me
I don't want to see Kevin Hart anymore

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Movie Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:37 pm

Cate Blanchett and Kevin Hart being in the same film is very confusing to me
I don't want to see Kevin Hart anymore
he was really funny in Scary Movie 3…where he has a very limited role and is with Anthony Anderson. But yeah, I’ve never found Hart funny outside of that

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:07 am

Zone of Interest. This movie is brilliant and disturbing. It’s obviously a shoo-in for best international film but I think it should challenge for best picture as well (it won’t). I would also love to see it take best sound (it won’t). It has some of the best sound design of any movie I’ve seen in some time. It would not be the same experience with a more traditional sound design. Really amazing stuff.
Good to hear, looks like something I want to watch, did you see it in theaters?

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:14 am

No we watched it at home. It's available on demand now. It helps to have a solid surround system (which I'm pretty sure isn't an issue for you) because I really can't understate how great the sound design is.

NTP66

Movie Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:44 pm

skullman80

Movie Thread

Postby skullman80 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:12 pm

That looks ....not good.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:26 pm

We have James Gunn at home...

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Movie Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:44 pm

I like how they show the same exact clip of Cate Blanchett shooting the revolver-type gun twice

shafnutz05

Movie Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:17 pm

We have James Gunn at home...
:lol:

I love the game, but damn.

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:37 pm

Jason Reitman and a group of directors have bought Westwood’s iconic Village Theater
The new owners of the theater include such directors as Christopher Nolan, J.J. Abrams, Guillermo del Toro, Christopher McQuarrie, Judd Apatow, Damien Chazelle, Steven Spielberg, Chris Columbus, Bradley Cooper, Alfonso Cuarón, Hannah Fidell, Alejandro González Iñárritu, James Gunn, Sian Heder, Rian Johnson, Gil Kenan, Karyn Kusama, Justin Lin, Phil Lord, David Lowery, Chris Miller, Todd Phillips, Gina Prince-Bythewood, Reitman, Jay Roach, Seth Rogen, Emma Seligman, Emma Thomas, Denis Villeneuve, Lulu Wang and Chloé Zhao.

The theater — which boasts a large auditorium seating more than 1,300 people, with a 70mm-capable screen and upgraded sound system — will showcase a mixture of first-run films and repertory programming selected by the theater’s owners.
-----
Inside the house, the directors plan to showcase artifacts from their personal collections, including props, wardrobe items and film prints. In time, there are plans to add a restaurant, bar and gallery, but the theater will remain open throughout.
This is my favorite commercial cinema in the whole world. I've joked in the past that my best friend and I invented the idea of what became the theater called Arclight, which conceptually was very similar to this before it BK'd during the pandemic.

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:41 pm

Did the Hollywood Arclight/Cinerama Dome ever reopen? I never went to Westwood Village’s cinema but I lived at the Arclight during my brief time there. Still the best theater I’ve ever been to.

My favorite experience there was the first midnight showing of Iron Man (2008) highlighted by a surprise appearance by RDJ and Favs to introduce the film. Obviously the MCU wasn’t a thing yet but the crowd was super hyped and those two seemed genuinely excited to be there.

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:28 am

AFAIK the Dome hasn't reopened yet, and the Arclight locations are now Regal.

The Dome is a cool venue. Watching non-Cinerama format movies (esp flat) can be trippy. They hosted LOTR: FOTR (extended), LOTR: TTT (extended); LOTR: ROTK (theatrical) as part of a single one-day marathon screening that started at like 9 am. I got tix from my New Line friend, and that was one of the most ridiculous movie-related things I've ever done. lol

DigitalGypsy66

Movie Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:28 am

No we watched it at home. It's available on demand now. It helps to have a solid surround system (which I'm pretty sure isn't an issue for you) because I really can't understate how great the sound design is.
I watched it last night. Very chilling is how I would describe it. The audio especially.

BBC has a good article on the sound design: https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/202 ... re-created

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:11 pm

Mean Girls the musical. The songs are fine I guess. When they’re not singing, it’s basically a shot for shot remake of the original (save for some small changes here and there). This is a problem because every single actor is a noticeable downgrade. They lack the charm and charisma of the original cast. Actually, so does the film as a whole. As far as movie adaptations of musicals that were adaptations of movies, this is definitely another example one.

eddy

Movie Thread

Postby eddy » Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:11 am

I would like to see dune 2 in theaters. Waterfront has IMAX laser projection and Dolby cinema. I've seen Dolby for avatar and was very happy with the theater. I think it's been mentioned here that it's a fake IMAX screen , but I'd imagine it's still a good experience. Being this movie was filmed in IMAX, you think it's best to see it in IMAX even though it's a smaller screen or should it still be bumping? What do you think would be best theatrical experience here ?

nocera

Movie Thread

Postby nocera » Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:14 am

Are there any true 70MM IMAX screens in PIttsburgh? I don't think so. So, really it's just up to where you feel like seeing it.

tifosi77

Movie Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:58 am

The word-of-mouth on Dune 2 is pretty exceptional, people saying things like it's the kind of movie that reminds you why you like movies.

Troy Loney

Movie Thread

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:05 am

The word-of-mouth on Dune 2 is pretty exceptional, people saying things like it's the kind of movie that reminds you why you like movies.
We watched Bottoms this weekend.

That reminded me why I like movies.