JRR Tolkien Super Duper Mega Thread

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:20 am

I still think they show the sun rising in the west..................
Watched it again last night, it was rising on the boats because the sun got bigger from one scene to the next .

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:26 am

Ha have it cued up right now. It's at 35.04, right after they cauterize Guns Out's shoulder wound. Cuts from the orcs using the battering ram on the tavern in darkness, to a 'helicopter' shot of the Númenóreans on their horses riding across a plain (intercut with closeups and such), then back to the battering ram.

Sun is rising behind the Númenóreans, who are approaching from the western shores.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:02 am

Guns out = Bronwyn? :lol:

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:24 am

As far as I can tell, she is the first Tolkien character (Man, Elf, Dwarf) in live action whose wardrobe is bare arms. Tar-Míriel is open carrying in her royal garb, but Bronwyn was first to the flag.

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:28 am

Bronwyn lost a lot of blood and they weren't afraid to show it

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:55 am

She also lost a lot of......... what's the word............ gloop? One only has so much bodily gloop.

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:36 pm

She also lost a lot of......... what's the word............ gloop? One only has so much bodily gloop.
Am I crazy or does sometimes the show randomly decide to be over the top with it's violence and gore? I'm not necessarily complaining about that, it just seems to be out of place at times

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:55 pm

:lol:

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:04 pm

Am I crazy or does sometimes the show randomly decide to be over the top with it's violence and gore? I'm not necessarily complaining about that, it just seems to be out of place at times
It's weirdly graphic at times, like in a way that doesn't really help with the story.
This last episode had a moment of Theo entering the house of healing in the Númenórean encampment, and there were several lingering closeups of battle wounds and burns. I think that scene would've played out far more horrifically if the previous episode hadn't been like 25% blood-n-guts.

And I still think Bronwyn should've died.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:26 pm

I would like to reiterate how utterly over it I am with this Stranger fellow. There are a lot of problems with the way they are crafting their story, but to me this has been the problem that would've been easiest to avoid from the outset. 2 episodes, max. Move along. If this carries over into next season...................
But it was good to see that the three religious zealots are indeed pretty wackadoodle baddies.

The parts of the episode that took place in the 'nuclear winter' following the eruption of Orodruin were well done and frankly terrifying. But we are to believe that the volcano spit lava bombs from NW Mordor to wherever the Harfoot camp was located? It's a minimum of 100 miles from Mt Doom to the Morannon, and the camp was somewhere north of the marshes beyond that. So it spit lava bombs 150+ miles.................. directly on to the spot where the Harfoots posted up, and nowhere else in the vicinity?? That's what we're going with? Alrighty then. Maybe through Sauron's evil the eruption was able to track down the STILL ANONYMOUS STRANGER person and try to assassinate him with the power of geothermal dynamics. I dunno.

This ep felt like it was full of characters suddenly acting completely against the build up that they've invested hours of storytelling establishing. Maybe I'm just not following the narrative, but a lot of people's actions felt really disjointed. I honestly feel like I might rewatch this episode, because I'm wondering if I misheard dialog or something.

The Dwarves continue to be the most consistently well-written and acted characters in the show. The argument between Durin and Other Durin is my favorite scene in the series so far, specifically because the characters have been well done up to that point and so I felt invested in the stakes of the outcome. (Not because of "Oh no, what about the Elves", but because I care about Durin) Per the last paragraph, I was a big fan of Disa, and now all of a sudden she's reduced to a social climber. The reveal of Durin's Bane was a little too....... much. Didn't need to actually show the full balrog, and at that they way they depicted it made it look like the thing was just sort of sitting underneath the mountain... Dude bro has been in seclusion for something like 5000 years under Khazad-dûm, and he's just.... hanging out? It didn't feel like an "oh s**t" reveal, it felt like a "wtf is happening" reveal.

Queen Regent Miriel giving her speech at the end, blindfolded, had a quasi-Monty Python-esque feel too it. lol

eddy

Postby eddy » Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:30 pm

I would like to reiterate how utterly over it I am with this Stranger fellow. There are a lot of problems with the way they are crafting their story, but to me this has been the problem that would've been easiest to avoid from the outset. 2 episodes, max. Move along. If this carries over into next season...................
But it was good to see that the three religious zealots are indeed pretty wackadoodle baddies.

The parts of the episode that took place in the 'nuclear winter' following the eruption of Orodruin were well done and frankly terrifying. But we are to believe that the volcano spit lava bombs from NW Mordor to wherever the Harfoot camp was located? It's a minimum of 100 miles from Mt Doom to the Morannon, and the camp was somewhere north of the marshes beyond that. So it spit lava bombs 150+ miles.................. directly on to the spot where the Harfoots posted up, and nowhere else in the vicinity?? That's what we're going with? Alrighty then. Maybe through Sauron's evil the eruption was able to track down the STILL ANONYMOUS STRANGER person and try to assassinate him with the power of geothermal dynamics. I dunno.

This ep felt like it was full of characters suddenly acting completely against the build up that they've invested hours of storytelling establishing. Maybe I'm just not following the narrative, but a lot of people's actions felt really disjointed. I honestly feel like I might rewatch this episode, because I'm wondering if I misheard dialog or something.

The Dwarves continue to be the most consistently well-written and acted characters in the show. The argument between Durin and Other Durin is my favorite scene in the series so far, specifically because the characters have been well done up to that point and so I felt invested in the stakes of the outcome. (Not because of "Oh no, what about the Elves", but because I care about Durin) Per the last paragraph, I was a big fan of Disa, and now all of a sudden she's reduced to a social climber. The reveal of Durin's Bane was a little too....... much. Didn't need to actually show the full balrog, and at that they way they depicted it made it look like the thing was just sort of sitting underneath the mountain... Dude bro has been in seclusion for something like 5000 years under Khazad-dûm, and he's just.... hanging out? It didn't feel like an "oh s**t" reveal, it felt like a "wtf is happening" reveal.

Queen Regent Miriel giving her speech at the end, blindfolded, had a quasi-Monty Python-esque feel too it. lol
I thought the exact same here, it was a weird episode of nothing really happening and people appearing and then hey there's a Balrog and let's change the word to Morder with menacing music. I now call the stranger Dougie and I chuckled at him yelling to the tree and thought he'd get a staff or something out of it and thought it was weird when the hobbits weren't questioning what just happened. Not the episode I was expecting in my head and not great. Will rewatch

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:42 pm

Also, that was some reimagining of the Celeborn story. Yowza. lol

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sat Oct 08, 2022 2:01 pm

(That's Tolkien's Webley revolver)

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:22 am

Se1Ep10, the grand finale to the first 10 hours
Oh bother.....
Most everyone suspected Meteor Man was Gandalf, or at least some other Maiar/Istar. And they did give him some famous Gandalf dialogue. But I would like to point out that they STILL DIDN'T SAY FOR CERTAIN WHO HE IS. Oh well, can't wait to see what zany antics await Gandalf and the curly midget in Se2. Gaaaahhhhhh

I think it is really stupid that Halbrand is Sauron. I get all the details of his journey that match the book story, but that makes the details that don't stand out like a sore thumb. So we're going with "Galadriel delivered he Dark Lord' to Middle-earth" are we? Cos that is hella dumb. That said, the particulars how they showed his corruption unfolding in Eregion was fairly well done, if it completely omitted 'Annatar' from the telling. (Maybe he'll become that in the years to come, as Elves tell the tale to their little elflings) And with Isildur still unaccounted for and left for dead in Mordor as Sauron returns, will they give him a new backstory that helps explain his ultimate failure at the Last Alliance?

Oh, Sadoc died. That was sad.

eddy

Postby eddy » Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:36 am

Not gonna click that, but I'm scared we aren't going to see or hear about any rings of power for next couple years until the next season

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:59 am

I remembered I had my grandfather's edition of the Similarion. Is it worth reading at this point? I did just listen to the Lord of the Rings books a few months ago.

He died in 1981, and I was probably given that book when my grandmother downsized later that year. I remember thinking the book was huge, but it's only 365 pages. It has a big fold out map of Beleriand, which I hadn't noticed before. 1977 copyright, first American edition.

eddy

Postby eddy » Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:07 am

It was a challenge, but not necessarily in a bad way. Besides the hobbit being one of my favorite books, I don't think Tolkien is an easy author to read.

the wicked child

Postby the wicked child » Fri Oct 14, 2022 8:47 am

I struggled mightily with The Silmarillion, particularly in the beginning. There are some really good stories in there but it can certainly take awhile to get there.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:40 am

There is no substitute for reading the text, but audiobooks are a tremendous alternative way to get into the world. It's honestly the only way I can deal with The Silmarilion. Esp now that LOTR and The Hobbit are available w Andy Serkis reading.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:12 pm

I remembered I had my grandfather's edition of the Similarion. Is it worth reading at this point? I did just listen to the Lord of the Rings books a few months ago.

He died in 1981, and I was probably given that book when my grandmother downsized later that year. I remember thinking the book was huge, but it's only 365 pages. It has a big fold out map of Beleriand, which I hadn't noticed before. 1977 copyright, first American edition.
What you have there, sir, is an heirloom not a book. If I were you I'd never open that book again outside of showing it off to guests a couple times a year. Do they sell those nitrogen-filled plexiglass cases the Constitution is kept in on Amazon? lol

If you want to read the book, I'd suggest going to B&N and getting a beater paperback edition, or a digital edition for Kindle. But that First Edition hardcover stays put imo.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:12 pm

“I’m good”

Get **** bent. What a garbage show. Such a waste

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:04 pm

Se1Ep10, the grand finale to the first 10 hours
I don't even know how much of this nonsense I've been watching. lol

nocera

Postby nocera » Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:24 am

My plan was to wait til all the episodes are out and the binge but this thread got me second guessing. Is it even worth it

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:37 am

My plan was to wait til all the episodes are out and the binge but this thread got me second guessing. Is it even worth it
I haven't watched since E3, but that's because I decided to wait until the end and binge. I enjoyed the first three episodes though and never thought it was bad or uninteresting. Maybe uneven at some points with the need to establish the world and characters. I might be a unique demographic though. I like Tolkien's world but think reading him is a joyless slog, so I have basically zero background knowledge or desire for adherence to how things are "supposed to be" based on the books, virgin fanbase, or the whingings of his unaccomplished son. Just gimme some good **** to watch.

nocera

Postby nocera » Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:40 am

I’m exactly that demographic.