Marvel Thread (Movies, Comics, etc)

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:37 pm

End Game is the absolute perfect ending to the MCU. It's a love letter to the previous 10+ years of Marvel films and an incredibly satisfying and emotional conclusion.

What's that? They kept making Marvel movies after End Game? Well that was dumb. Rewatching the Infinity Saga has really amplified just how bad phase 4 and beyond has been for Marvel. In hindsight I would be perfectly content if the MCU ended at that point.

Captain America: Winter Soldier
Captain America: Civil War
Captain America: The First Avenger
Iron Man
The Avengers
Avengers: End Game
Guardians of the Galaxy
Avengers: Infinity War
Spider-Man: Homecoming
Thor: Ragnarok
Guardians of the Galaxy 2
Ant Man
Black Panther
Captain Marvel
Dr. Strange
Iron Man 2
The Avengers: Age of Ultron
And Man & The Wasp
Thor
Iron Man 3
Incredible Hulk
Thor: The Dark World

NAN

Postby NAN » Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:51 pm

I started rewatching the Infinity Saga while I'm quarantined to my basement in the evening. I've only gotten through Iron Man, Hulk, and Iron Man 2. Love the Iron Man movies. Hulk was so freaking boring IMO. Onto Thor!

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Fri Aug 25, 2023 4:06 pm

Everything after end game is meaningless to me even if I did enjoy the spiderman movies.

Endgame was the perfect end.

LeopardLetang

Postby LeopardLetang » Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:07 pm

Post endgame I'm glad I got:

Hawkeye
Holiday Special
Black Widow
John Walker parts
GG3

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:39 pm

Everything after end game is meaningless to me even if I did enjoy the spiderman movies.

Endgame was the perfect end.
This is pretty much where I'm at. My MCU rewatch got derailed by an unintended Fast and Furious rewatch, so I still plan to get to the post-Endgame movies but really find it tough to care. I do like No Way Home though I don't think it's a particularly "good" movie, but as time moves on I think it's more of a misstep. Endgame gives a hopeful ending after the ultimate sacrifice of the MCU and instead of No Way Home being the stepping off point for something new, we get the death of a beloved character and a ridiculous plot device to make our hero anonymous as a new start that's going to take 5ish year to continue and get some closure in the life of Marvel's most popular hero.

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:36 am

Just finished up Thor. I don't know why, I laugh when he walks into the pet store and demands a horse.

Started Captain America: the First Avenger. I like watching all of these on a second run through. 1) you pick up a lot more than the first time around, and 2) with the benefit of watching the other movies and TV shows, etc, it allows me to know the characters and storyline much better as well so again, you pick up so much more and things make more sense.

meecrofilm

Postby meecrofilm » Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:03 am

Just finished up Thor. I don't know why, I laugh when he walks into the pet store and demands a horse.
Thor is better (and funnier) than it gets credit for. The comedy works because it's pre-formula Marvel where every single character has sarcastic quips and whatnot. It's purely situational, fish-out-of-water driven. Simple and effective.

I know it doesn't get rated highly around here, but I think it's a fun watch, especially in contrast to so much that came after.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:18 pm

The worst part about Thor is his dyed beard and eyebrows.

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Aug 31, 2023 12:53 pm

Part of the reason that I rank Thor so low is because they took the easy way out. The braver choice would’ve been to tell a story that entirely takes place on Asgard. Instead they went with a fish out of water love story which felt unoriginal and bland.

It could be worse, though. It could be The Dark World.

meecrofilm

Postby meecrofilm » Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:30 am

The braver choice would’ve been to tell a story that entirely takes place on Asgard.
Gotta serve the larger MCU beast somehow.

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:29 am

Finished up Captain America and now on Avengers. I know Thor opens up Asguard, etc, but it's amazing how much of the world opens up with the Avengers and really gets into the other worldly stuff.

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:37 am

Phase 1 really is a lot of fun. The other phases have clear low points, but even with a lackluster Thor movie, phase 1 just moves and feels exciting.

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:28 pm

Just finished Avengers/Phase 1.

One question, and I could have just plain missed it, or they will show it in Phase 2 when I rewatch, but Thor took Loki and the Tesserack/space stone back to Asgard. Who has Loki's scepture/mind stone?

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:34 pm

One question, and I could have just plain missed it, or they will show it in Phase 2 when I rewatch, but Thor took Loki and the Tesserack/space stone back to Asgard. Who has Loki's scepture/mind stone?
Yeah that comes back in phase 2.

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:37 pm

Yeah that comes back in phase 2.
:thumb:

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:18 pm

I thought the new episode of Loki was the best thing marvel has done in a long time.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:52 am

Loki was OK. I didn't remember much about the first season other than vaguely enjoying it.

Very interesting article from the Hollywood Reporter about the state of Marvel TV shows. First up, Daredevil: Born Again has been halted and the show will be revamped after filming 9 episodes:
It didn’t take long to see the problem after Marvel Studios’ Daredevil: Born Again paused production in mid-June during the writers strike. Fewer than half of the series’ 18 episodes had been shot, but it was enough for Marvel executives, including chief Kevin Feige, to review the footage and come away with a clear-eyed assessment: The show wasn’t working.

So, in late September, Marvel quietly let go of head writers Chris Ord and Matt Corman and also released the directors for the remainder of the season as part of a significant creative reboot of the series, The Hollywood Reporter has learned. The studio is now on the hunt for new writers and directors for the project, which stars Charlie Cox as Matt Murdock, a blind lawyer turned superhero.
Charlie Cox didn't even put the Daredevil costume on until the 4th episode. It was more of a lawyer procedural than superhero show.

Next up, some insight on why Secret Invasion sucked:
As its shows ramped up during the pandemic, Marvel stepped outside its usual staffing approach and brought in outside execs after years of internally promoting creatives who had been sufficiently trained in the Marvel method.

This change was felt most severely on Secret Invasion, the Samuel L. Jackson-led thriller that stands as Marvel’s worst-reviewed series. Kyle Bradstreet, a writer and executive producer on USA Network Emmy winner Mr. Robot, had been working on the scripts for Secret Invasion for about a year when he was fired after Marvel decided on a different direction. Enter new writer Brian Tucker, who penned the crime thriller Broken City. Thomas Bezucha, who helmed the thriller Let Him Go, and Ali Selim, who worked on Hulu’s 9/11 drama The Looming Tower, were on board as directors and to help crack the story.

So far, so normal, at least by Marvel’s creative development standards. Details are murky, but what happened next, in the summer of 2022, debilitated the production as factions became entrenched and leaders vied for supremacy during Secret Invasion’s preproduction in London. “It was weeks of people not getting along, and it erupted,” says an insider. Marvel declined to directly comment on the matter.

The company dispatched Jonathan Schwartz, a senior executive and member of Marvel’s creative steering committee known as The Parliament, to get Secret Invasion back on track when it was falling behind schedule and on the verge of losing some actors because of other commitments.

By early September, a good portion of the Invasion team had been replaced, with new line producers, unit production managers and assistant directors. And Bezucha, who was supposed to direct three episodes, left the show because of new scheduling conflicts. The Marvel executive overseeing the show, Chris Gary, was reassigned and, according to sources, is expected to depart Marvel when his contract is up at the end of the year.
The entire article is worth reading, but the takeaway is that Marvel is starting to understand that you need consistent plotting to make these shows work, from the first day of preproduction. Not in post.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv ... 235614518/

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Oct 11, 2023 11:58 am

Secret invasion already came out? Hmmm? I guess I don't care about this **** anymore.

Regarding Loki, they seem to actually be invested in the story and it's refreshing to have a show you have to actually think about. Probably helps that you have Moorhead and Benson taking on a bigger role in season 2, they are good with the timey wimey stuff.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:01 pm

Yeah, that's one thing the HR article mentioned was that Loki was already designed/planned to be a multi-year/season series. That helps with plot, pacing, and building the characters. That appears to be their process moving forward.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:10 pm

How dumb do you have to be to **** up the restart of Daredevil?

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:14 pm

Judging from how horrible the last group of marvel movies are, I can't say I'm surprised by any of this

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:57 pm

I enjoyed Loki, and look forward to new episodes.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:59 pm

Judging from how horrible the last group of marvel movies are, I can't say I'm surprised by any of this
Yeah Marvel has been a complete mess since End Game. None of this is surprising.

meecrofilm

Postby meecrofilm » Wed Oct 11, 2023 2:04 pm

Because they're continuing to force individual stories into a larger, overarching story. The only way that works is if people give a **** about said story. And, for that to happen, people need to give a **** about the characters in those stories. They're banking on the serialization alone being enough of a draw (which it was in the earlier phases once a solid base had been established). It's not anymore.

meecrofilm

Postby meecrofilm » Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:54 pm

I thought the new episode of Loki was the best thing marvel has done in a long time.
I've enjoyed the first couple eps. That unlikely Hiddleston/Wilson chemistry goes a long way.