CBear3

Home Improvement Thread

Postby CBear3 » Wed May 05, 2021 2:10 pm

Get out of here with that weak sauce
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Billy-Goat-For ... 1003163020

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed May 05, 2021 2:16 pm

With that, I could blow the leaves straight through the fence and into my neighbor's yard. Hmm...

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed May 05, 2021 2:40 pm

Anyone ever use a newer style wax-free toilet seal? I'm debating whether or not to use one in our powder room, or just stick with a traditional wax seal.

Nuge

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Nuge » Wed May 05, 2021 2:58 pm

Anyone ever use a newer style wax-free toilet seal? I'm debating whether or not to use one in our powder room, or just stick with a traditional wax seal.
I tried one once and did not like it. I could still smell sewer gas, but maybe I didn't install it right. I ended up resetting the toilet with a regular wax ring and it was fine.

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed May 05, 2021 2:59 pm

I tried one once and did not like it. I could still smell sewer gas, but maybe I didn't install it right. I ended up resetting the toilet with a regular wax ring and it was fine.
:thumb: I was leaning towards the wax ring because even if I screw it up, it's only $4 for a new one.

mac5155

Home Improvement Thread

Postby mac5155 » Wed May 05, 2021 3:07 pm

Setting a wax ring makes me way more stressed than it should.

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed May 05, 2021 3:11 pm

Related: when the tile guys showed up on Monday, they had the bathroom fan running for a while. I asked if they needed it on, because it's loud as **** and the cats were freaked, and he let me know that I forgot to plug the closet flange for the toilet. Oof. Apologized a few times for that one. :face:

mac5155

Home Improvement Thread

Postby mac5155 » Wed May 05, 2021 3:51 pm

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Home Improvement Thread

Postby count2infinity » Wed May 05, 2021 3:58 pm

That's the one I have... haha.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Home Improvement Thread

Postby meow » Wed May 05, 2021 5:15 pm

The last time I set a wax ring, I stepped on it three seconds later. Typical meow

robbiestoupe

Home Improvement Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Sat May 08, 2021 8:16 am

This week has not been good for the old homestead. First it was a leak on the water line to the toilet. Then our dryer died. Finally this morning I noticed the furnace was running a continuous start/stop cycle every minute.

All the while we’re a couple days away from selecting somebody to redo our kitchen. :face:

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sat May 08, 2021 12:41 pm

Damn, hope it all works out for you. Today is the first day that we have a functioning bathroom downstairs, with our tile floor being done. There is at least a 1000% improvement with this project.

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sun May 09, 2021 2:05 pm

The HD/Lowe’s debate was good timing for me. We wanted to replace some floor registers in our house after the new flooring was installed. Lowe’s had the ones we liked the most, so I grabbed them and went to pay. Got the total and put in my credit card, and the cashier scanned one of them a second time, so my total jumped and I paid for an extra. I told her she scanned it twice, and she informed me that I had to go to customer service. 10 minutes in line to get that refunded.

Got home and realized that one of the vents is actually a different size, so I have to return it. Placed an online order for the correct size, and went to return the old one a pick up the new one later. Did that, and while walking back to the car, I realize that they gave me the wrong vent. Should have checked before I left the counter. Another 10 minutes in the return line, and the woman says to go pick out the correct vent and I’m good. Literally, just get the vent and walk out of the store. Already fed up with these **** clowns, I did just that. I now know how easy it would be to steal from that store.

robbiestoupe

Home Improvement Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Sun May 09, 2021 3:47 pm

You probably have a similar chance of having the same experience at HD. We went to buy our dryer and nobody could be bothered to help us. No other customers in the area, the guy was just playing on his phone.

Replaced the shut off valve to the toilet with a shark bite valve. Super simple, but the bastard is still leaking. I give up

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sun May 09, 2021 4:06 pm

Shark Bites are usually rock solid. I used them when I replaced one of my hose sillcocks a few years ago and it has been rock solid. This is on pex, though. Not sure if you’re using it on copper or something else.

robbiestoupe

Home Improvement Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Sun May 09, 2021 6:24 pm

It’s on cpvc. Pretty sure it’s not leaking at the shark bite. May be I didn’t tighten the flex hose enough or there’s a crack somewhere along the cpvc.

blackjack68

Home Improvement Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Sun May 09, 2021 7:59 pm

Have you tied FlexSeal?

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sun May 09, 2021 8:00 pm

It’s on cpvc. Pretty sure it’s not leaking at the shark bite. May be I didn’t tighten the flex hose enough or there’s a crack somewhere along the cpvc.
I think you jinxed me. Noticed a small leak on the hot water shut off valve on the sink I just put back in. Same valve that was basically frozen when I tried to turn it off. Thankfully, I can shut off each individual line at my pex panel, so replacing the valve wouldn’t be a big deal.

robbiestoupe

Home Improvement Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Sun May 09, 2021 8:31 pm

Have you tied FlexSeal?
That putty stuff you put on the drain? No, not sure that would solve it

robbiestoupe

Home Improvement Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Sun May 09, 2021 8:33 pm

I think you jinxed me. Noticed a small leak on the hot water shut off valve on the sink I just put back in. Same valve that was basically frozen when I tried to turn it off. Thankfully, I can shut off each individual line at my pex panel, so replacing the valve wouldn’t be a big deal.
Those shut off valves are a pain. As long as you don’t operate them they’re fine. They sit for years without use and the rubber starts to deteriorate. Once you operate them, the rubber turns to dust and it leaks like a sieve.

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon May 10, 2021 6:37 am

Those shut off valves are a pain. As long as you don’t operate them they’re fine. They sit for years without use and the rubber starts to deteriorate. Once you operate them, the rubber turns to dust and it leaks like a sieve.
That's 100% what happened. Gonna replace it after work today, and it looks like only HD carries a threaded valve. Lowe's has just SharkBite and similar, for some reason.

robbiestoupe

Home Improvement Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon May 10, 2021 1:20 pm

This week has not been good for the old homestead. First it was a leak on the water line to the toilet. Then our dryer died. Finally this morning I noticed the furnace was running a continuous start/stop cycle every minute.

All the while we’re a couple days away from selecting somebody to redo our kitchen. :face:
The second toilet leak ended up being the flex hose from the valve to the toilet. POS's are one-time use as well as the valves.

Furnace had a bad inducer motor and pressure switch. $1600 hole in my pocket. If it was any older I'd probably go new, but it should have another 10 years on it.

Our kitchen remodel is going to end up being a new sink and some handles on the drawers at this rate.

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon May 10, 2021 1:29 pm

Oof, at least those issues are fixed, though.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Home Improvement Thread

Postby LITT » Mon May 10, 2021 2:25 pm

become more comfortable with router table, plunge router and palm routers has taken my abilities to the next level

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Home Improvement Thread

Postby count2infinity » Mon May 10, 2021 2:54 pm

Is there a place to purchase spare/remnant cuts of countertops? Just bought a minifridge/beverage fridge and was thinking about building a new coffee station and put the fridge in that. Was thinking about what the top would be and was considering granite, but wouldn't need a ton... maybe 20-24 inches deep and 3 or 4 feet wide.