Home Improvement Thread

Willie Kool

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Willie Kool » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:28 pm

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Home Improvement Thread

Postby count2infinity » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:03 am

I did come across them in my searching. Have experience with them?

The guy that came and gave me a quote did all the measurements and worked up a full list of what we want. I figure I can just take that to the place that I stopped the first time and they told me they just order the doors. I knew it wasn’t going to be cheap for what we wanted, but the over 10k number shocked me.

Willie Kool

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Willie Kool » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:28 am

No, no experience with them. Just posted for the prices. Probably best to work with a local place.

mac5155

Home Improvement Thread

Postby mac5155 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:49 am

Got our first quote on an entry door... 13k. Holy hell. I’ll be finding an additional quote or two.
My parents got renewal by Anderson and didn't even pay that much for a French door and two Bay windows. Yikes!

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Home Improvement Thread

Postby count2infinity » Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:13 pm

It was renewal by Andersen that gave us the quote. The thing I hate about them is they lay down an absolute monster of a price tag and then they go through the garbage of “this price is only good if you accept right now, it goes up after this visit”. Bullsh*t. The price should be the price if I sign now or if I sign 2 weeks from now.

skullman80

Home Improvement Thread

Postby skullman80 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:24 pm

It was renewal by Andersen that gave us the quote. The thing I hate about them is they lay down an absolute monster of a price tag and then they go through the garbage of “this price is only good if you accept right now, it goes up after this visit”. Bullsh*t. The price should be the price if I sign now or if I sign 2 weeks from now.
Yeah any company that does that doesn't get my business.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:55 pm

100% agree.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Home Improvement Thread

Postby meow » Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:04 pm

I’ve told two companies that I won’t work with them because of that. I told an electrician that I was going with another quote that was 30% higher because of that bullshit.

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:48 pm

If you spent nearly 4 hours pressure washing your house and fence, but didn’t take before and after photos, did it even happen? I am absolutely upgrading to a gas unit so that I can have a wider spray band with the same pressure.

Speaking of Anderson, I was actually thinking about calling them for a quote on replacing a large window panel with a bay or bow window. Reading the thread today is making me second guess that.

AuthorTony

Home Improvement Thread

Postby AuthorTony » Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:14 pm

I had Renewal by Anderson stop to give me a quote on replacing 6 double hung windows (each approx 2 feet wide by 3 feet high) a couple years ago. Their quote, with a myriad of discounts, was in the $8K range. Um... no thanks.

shafnutz05

Home Improvement Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:30 am

I had a very bad experience with them. Had them come out to do a quote to replace our door from the garage to the backyard. Gave us a ridiculous quote.

Our daughter was only a couple weeks old at the time. When we told the guy thank you but there's no way we can pay that right now, he got a little aggressive and was being a real dick. I thought my wife was going to kill him.

I hate when they are doing work in the neighborhood because I know they will be going door to door.

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:14 am

freaking took me 40 years to spend 200 bucks on a power washer. it's more fun than should be allowable at that price point
Yuuuup. I did about 700 feet of fence line and a bunch of patio furniture yesterday. It’s just so damn satisfying
Which pressure washer did you end up going with? After yesterday, I need to upgrade so that I don't spend as much time doing it. For the fence, I basically only have a 2" wide stream before it's too weak, so I need something where I can make one pass with at least a 6" wide stream. That would save me hours of time, and probably a hell of a lot of water.

count2infinity

Home Improvement Thread

Postby count2infinity » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:23 am

We did part of our fence yesterday as well. Soooooo satisfying.

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:29 am

I apparently did take one photo in the middle of the work:

robbiestoupe

Home Improvement Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:37 am

I bought on the spot from Window Nation. Came out to $600 per window, which isn’t that bad.

meow

Home Improvement Thread

Postby meow » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:49 am

freaking took me 40 years to spend 200 bucks on a power washer. it's more fun than should be allowable at that price point
Yuuuup. I did about 700 feet of fence line and a bunch of patio furniture yesterday. It’s just so damn satisfying
Which pressure washer did you end up going with? After yesterday, I need to upgrade so that I don't spend as much time doing it. For the fence, I basically only have a 2" wide stream before it's too weak, so I need something where I can make one pass with at least a 6" wide stream. That would save me hours of time, and probably a hell of a lot of water.
I went to buy a Simpson but they were out of stock. I went with Ryobi’s 2,900 psi gas one. Amazing

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:51 am

I went to buy a Simpson but they were out of stock. I went with Ryobi’s 2,900 psi gas one. Amazing
This one? It's the model I was looking to buy, actually: https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-2-900 ... /314110918

count2infinity

Home Improvement Thread

Postby count2infinity » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:53 am

I bought on the spot from Window Nation. Came out to $600 per window, which isn’t that bad.
How long ago and what sized windows?

We’re in a house where the previous owners just did upkeep because they were saving for a forever home. About the only major thing they did was put in a fence.

Over the next couple years we’re going to replace doors, replace windows, replace flooring, replace the roof, replace the deck. Gonna be a fun and expensive few years.

meow

Home Improvement Thread

Postby meow » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:54 am

This one? It's the model I was looking to buy, actually: https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-2-900 ... /314110918
Yes sir. Easy assembly and easy to start

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:03 am

Yes sir. Easy assembly and easy to start
:thumb:

Gonna tell the guys at HD that ma boy meow told me this was the way to go.

meow

Home Improvement Thread

Postby meow » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:12 am

That’ll get you a discount

count2infinity

Home Improvement Thread

Postby count2infinity » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:29 am

Nah nah nah. I tell em meow sent me, they’re gonna give me his bill. I’m smarter than that.

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:05 am

First impression is good. I was able to get the bird **** from a second floor shutter, that my electric couldn't get. I'm debating whether or not to get a turbo nozzle, though. I do hate the hose, though. It's just as bad as my electric. Gonna shop for a better one to see if they even make something that isn't as rigid.

Sam's Drunk Dog

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:17 am

For those with mold problems on fences or siding, try using 30 Seconds Outdoor Cleaner. My BIL just used it with a normal hose and he was able to get mold off his siding to the point where it looked like new.

DigitalGypsy66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:23 am

Are you running ethanol free gas in it? Do you have to mix oil with the gas?