Home Improvement Thread

skullman80

Home Improvement Thread

Postby skullman80 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:57 am

I still love my epoxy garage floor. 1000% worth it in the future, IMO.
Yeah I want to do it, but I'm assuming it's a few thousand dollars to do at least professionally and right now after the driveway it's not in the budge this year lol.

dodint

Home Improvement Thread

Postby dodint » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:00 am

#TeamAsphalt

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:00 am

I still love my epoxy garage floor. 1000% worth it in the future, IMO.
Yeah I want to do it, but I'm assuming it's a few thousand dollars to do at least professionally and right now after the driveway it's not in the budge this year lol.
I used Floorguard (national company), and paid about $2500 for a little over 400sf of area, which included the curbs around the perimeter. They tend to run specials over winter since business is usually slower, FWIW.

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:01 am

#TeamAsphalt
My man.

DigitalGypsy66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:06 am

We're probably going to add a concrete pad/pull off to our driveway sometime in the next year, as we'll have a third driver (and thus a third car).

Evidently, concrete work down here is split between site prep crew and the actual concrete company. The site prep guys come out and measure, then I call the concrete company and tell them how much we need and when, then the site guys come back and do their work while the concrete gets pumped out.

I haven't called anyone yet, but the pricing seems to be similar from what I've heard from neighbors.

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:08 am

Source of the post then I call the concrete company
Really? That's dumb. I'd never hire a contractor who required me to coordinate the concrete delivery. That makes no sense.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Home Improvement Thread

Postby count2infinity » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:09 am

I'm an A$$phalt man myself...

Out of curiosity, what do I need to do to prep my driveway for a fresh coat? I plan to call some companies this week to get on their calendars. I have a few huge gouges from when I moved in (moving truck's hitch dug into the driveway until we got the thing at the right angle). Obviously, I'll get some patch stuff and fill those in, but do I need to clean the drive way? Fill in cracks? There are some tire depression marks where the car typically sits... fill those in? Any other prep before having a crew out to do it?

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:14 am

I'm an A$$phalt man myself...

Out of curiosity, what do I need to do to prep my driveway for a fresh coat? I plan to call some companies this week to get on their calendars. I have a few huge gouges from when I moved in (moving truck's hitch dug into the driveway until we got the thing at the right angle). Obviously, I'll get some patch stuff and fill those in, but do I need to clean the drive way? Fill in cracks? There are some tire depression marks where the car typically sits... fill those in? Any other prep before having a crew out to do it?
When I had mine redone, they added 3" to the existing driveway, since it wasn't what they considered complete; the original contractor who built the house only had a base layer installed, and didn't even use the correct size stone. The 3" they added leveled off the entire driveway:

They should be able to fill any large gouges, though with cracks, I'm not sure if they fill that or handle it at sealing, which would come 6+ months after new asphalt being laid down. With sealing, I'm definitely never going that water-based spray on sealer. Did it once, and it was ruined within weeks. Had them come back out and use the oil based product that did a much better job.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Home Improvement Thread

Postby meow » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:16 am

Got me a surface cleaner to do the patio and driveway with the pressure washer this weekend. It’ll be tough to hide my boner

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:18 am

Got me a surface cleaner to do the patio and driveway with the pressure washer this weekend. It’ll be tough to hide my boner
I have one, too, but wasn't terribly impressed. Looking forward to trying it with the new pressure washer when I do the patio in a few weeks.

willeyeam

Home Improvement Thread

Postby willeyeam » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:30 am

no it won't

MrKennethTKangaroo

Home Improvement Thread

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:33 am

ha

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Home Improvement Thread

Postby count2infinity » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:39 am

:lol:

robbiestoupe

Home Improvement Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:43 am

Our first kitchen quote came in at $15k to resurface the cabinets, plus replacing a desktop with more cabinets. Countertops will add $5-6k more. This guy is probably on the expensive side of things. Also doesn't include other work like demo'ing a half-wall, new flooring and painting the walls in the kitchen. All in all I expect anywhere from $25-30k.

A coworker of mine just moved to SC and is having a similar job done. Difference being he's getting all new cabinets, but his kitchen size is 100 square feet compared to my 160 square foot kitchen. He's getting quotes in upwards of $60k, low end $40k at Lowe's. It doesn't include some plumbing and electrical work he said he needs to have done, so add a few more thousand to that. Crazy what a kitchen remodel costs.

skullman80

Home Improvement Thread

Postby skullman80 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:19 pm

Yearly central A/C tuneup done today (good day since it was near 80). Good for another year.

Kane

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Kane » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:40 am

Had to pop in our window units for yesterday. Normally we'd suffer through a couple of warm days, but now we gotta keep the little guy cool.

shafnutz05

Home Improvement Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:39 pm

Had to pop in our window units for yesterday. Normally we'd suffer through a couple of warm days, but now we gotta keep the little guy cool.
Yup, I think the window units are going in upstairs today. Maybe someday I will buy a second central A/C unit.

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:07 pm

: Just grabbed this hose. I'll let you know how it works out.

@meow My initial thought on this hose is that it’s superior to the standard Ryobi hose. Feels like it’s higher quality, and is much more flexible.

The two Flexzilla garden hoses I bought (3/4” and 5/8”) appear to be good quality, too. Definitely lighter than my Goodyear 3/4” hose, and both seem easy to work with.

count2infinity

Home Improvement Thread

Postby count2infinity » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:33 am

Let me preface this question with: I know... I get it... these type of products aren't good for the wood, sanding and staining is a better option, I'm going to ruin the deck, blah, blah, blah. I get it.

Anyone ever use a deckover or deckover like product? Any recommendations? Our deck is 25 years old and I just want to get a couple more years out of it before replacing the whole damn thing. Looking for some sort of paint like material that will allow me to walk on it barefoot and not have a foot full of splinters. Which btw would make a great band name.

Morkle

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Morkle » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:16 am

So, getting a new HVAC system installed and looking to have a wifi thermostat. Ecobee or Nest? I'm leaning Ecobee. Any opinions?

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:18 am

**** Nest. I have an ecobee 4 with 6 SmartSensors and love it. Pretty sure there are at least 3-4 others here who went ecobee, as well.

Morkle

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Morkle » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:49 am

I was sticking with the Ecobee 3 because I don't want Alexa in the system, I have an Alexa studio like right next to where it would be.

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:50 am

I disabled the microphone on my ecobee 4, so that problem was solved immediately.

Morkle

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Morkle » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:57 am

Ah, didn't know you could do that. Will go with the 4 then, as I like the design more. What do the sensors do?

robbiestoupe

Home Improvement Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:57 am

Let me preface this question with: I know... I get it... these type of products aren't good for the wood, sanding and staining is a better option, I'm going to ruin the deck, blah, blah, blah. I get it.

Anyone ever use a deckover or deckover like product? Any recommendations? Our deck is 25 years old and I just want to get a couple more years out of it before replacing the whole damn thing. Looking for some sort of paint like material that will allow me to walk on it barefoot and not have a foot full of splinters. Which btw would make a great band name.
Interested in other's takes on this as well. I power washed, sanded, stained our deck last spring and it needs it again. Doesn't help our backyard is a swamp from October thru May and the kids track mud onto the porch. Barring a major remodel of our yard, we have to live with it.