Home Improvement Thread

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon May 10, 2021 2:57 pm

Is there a place to purchase spare/remnant cuts of countertops? Just bought a minifridge/beverage fridge and was thinking about building a new coffee station and put the fridge in that. Was thinking about what the top would be and was considering granite, but wouldn't need a ton... maybe 20-24 inches deep and 3 or 4 feet wide.
When we were replacing our countertop, most of the tile stores that we went to had plenty of slabs and leftover material that you could purchase for a good deal.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Home Improvement Thread

Postby count2infinity » Mon May 10, 2021 3:12 pm

So places that sell that stuff anyways tend to hold onto remnants and sell them? Good to know...

MrKennethTKangaroo

Home Improvement Thread

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon May 10, 2021 3:14 pm

become more comfortable with router table, plunge router and palm routers has taken my abilities to the next level
as usual, LITT bringing the good vibes to 5af

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon May 10, 2021 3:57 pm

So places that sell that stuff anyways tend to hold onto remnants and sell them? Good to know...
Yep. We saw some full pieces where somebody cleared screwed up the sink cutout, so they were selling the remains. In fact, this is what I did for my master shower. Went to the tile store, found a slab that we really liked, asked them to cut two pieces (threshold and triangular seat top), and they only charged for that material. I would have just paid for the 3x4 piece that it took for those cuts had they wanted me to.

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon May 10, 2021 3:59 pm

It’s on cpvc. Pretty sure it’s not leaking at the shark bite. May be I didn’t tighten the flex hose enough or there’s a crack somewhere along the cpvc.
I think you jinxed me. Noticed a small leak on the hot water shut off valve on the sink I just put back in. Same valve that was basically frozen when I tried to turn it off. Thankfully, I can shut off each individual line at my pex panel, so replacing the valve wouldn’t be a big deal.
Those shut off valves are a pain. As long as you don’t operate them they’re fine. They sit for years without use and the rubber starts to deteriorate. Once you operate them, the rubber turns to dust and it leaks like a sieve.
Replaced the valve with a multi-turn valve and it looks like I’m good now. Fwiw, HD does not sell valves that have metal stems in them, at least not for your basic toilet/sink SOV. All plastic BS. I’m going to just turn off lines at the pex manifold from now on to avoid this issue in the future, and leave all valves wide open.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Home Improvement Thread

Postby LITT » Mon May 10, 2021 4:25 pm

find some nice machinist squares on FB marketplace im trying to negotiate for

robbiestoupe

Home Improvement Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon May 10, 2021 4:32 pm

It’s on cpvc. Pretty sure it’s not leaking at the shark bite. May be I didn’t tighten the flex hose enough or there’s a crack somewhere along the cpvc.
I think you jinxed me. Noticed a small leak on the hot water shut off valve on the sink I just put back in. Same valve that was basically frozen when I tried to turn it off. Thankfully, I can shut off each individual line at my pex panel, so replacing the valve wouldn’t be a big deal.
Those shut off valves are a pain. As long as you don’t operate them they’re fine. They sit for years without use and the rubber starts to deteriorate. Once you operate them, the rubber turns to dust and it leaks like a sieve.
Replaced the valve with a multi-turn valve and it looks like I’m good now. Fwiw, HD does not sell valves that have metal stems in them, at least not for your basic toilet/sink SOV. All plastic BS. I’m going to just turn off lines at the pex manifold from now on to avoid this issue in the future, and leave all valves wide open.
Hold on, what? Maybe it's because I bought with a shark bite fitting, but mine is a 1/4 turn SS valve specifically for a toilet. I had to go to the toilet accessory section, though

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon May 10, 2021 4:33 pm

Hold on, what? Maybe it's because I bought with a shark bite fitting, but mine is a 1/4 turn SS valve specifically for a toilet.
Yeah, this isn’t a SharkBite. It’s a 3/8” threaded inlet, 3/8” threaded outlet valve.

robbiestoupe

Home Improvement Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon May 10, 2021 4:37 pm

Well if I read your post right I would have seen you said plastic STEM, not valve. That doesn't bother me. It seals with o-rings regardless of stem material. It's the o-ring that dry rots over time.

robbiestoupe

Home Improvement Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu May 13, 2021 9:24 am

This week has not been good for the old homestead. First it was a leak on the water line to the toilet. Then our dryer died. Finally this morning I noticed the furnace was running a continuous start/stop cycle every minute.

All the while we’re a couple days away from selecting somebody to redo our kitchen. :face:
The second toilet leak ended up being the flex hose from the valve to the toilet. POS's are one-time use as well as the valves.

Furnace had a bad inducer motor and pressure switch. $1600 hole in my pocket. If it was any older I'd probably go new, but it should have another 10 years on it.

Our kitchen remodel is going to end up being a new sink and some handles on the drawers at this rate.
Today I noticed our ceiling is peeling in our bedroom. Roof is 25 years old. Hold my beer Tom Hanks and Shelley Long

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Home Improvement Thread

Postby count2infinity » Fri May 14, 2021 6:27 pm

Cabot Deck Correct acquired... will post updates after it's applied.
I’m terrible at remembering to take before pictures. Oh well.

Applied the stuff today after power washing yesterday. This stuff is like pudding. It’s so thick. I tried to use a roller for the first coat and it barely worked. Second coat was just with a brush and it went on much better. Thicker and filled in cracks really well. It’s currently drying and we might do some touch ups tonight before bed, but will take some photos tomorrow.

So far it looks great and it has a nice coarse feeling to the surface. Almost an anti slip finish.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Home Improvement Thread

Postby meow » Fri May 14, 2021 7:42 pm

I’ve equated that stuff to painting with oatmeal.

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sat May 15, 2021 12:52 pm

meow, you get a surface cleaner for your pressure washer yet? Used mine today on my garage floor and patio - worked beautifully. Still need to use a regular nozzle to flush the dirty water off the patio, but it was a quick job.

I regret not buying a longer pressure washer hose. That extra 10’ would make a world of difference.

Sam's Drunk Dog

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Sat May 15, 2021 9:30 pm

That extra 10’ would make a world of difference.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Home Improvement Thread

Postby meow » Sat May 15, 2021 9:37 pm

I have not. I decided to build a new hammock stand this weekend instead of cleaning the patio and driveway

dodint

Home Improvement Thread

Postby dodint » Sat May 15, 2021 11:33 pm

Living your best life.

mac5155

Home Improvement Thread

Postby mac5155 » Sun May 16, 2021 11:17 am

I used 30 seconds outdoor cleaner with some relative success. Though, I'm convinced it's quite literally 19.99 a gallon bleach..

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sun May 16, 2021 11:22 am

I used 30 seconds outdoor cleaner with some relative success. Though, I'm convinced it's quite literally 19.99 a gallon bleach..
I used that yesterday myself based on @Sam's Drunk Dog’s early comment. Honestly don’t care for it, especially compared to Simple Green. At least, on concrete.

mac5155

Home Improvement Thread

Postby mac5155 » Sun May 16, 2021 1:50 pm

I used that yesterday myself based on @Sam's Drunk Dog’s early comment. Honestly don’t care for it, especially compared to Simple Green. At least, on concrete.
It took two sprays of it on my gutters to get them pretty close to white. I agree, I probably won't be purchasing it again. A friend of mine said Olympic deck wash worked well. I may give it a try. The fact that the gallon bottle is mixed at 1:1 pretty much meant I could do literally one side of my house per gallon.

Sam's Drunk Dog

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Sun May 16, 2021 5:53 pm

Sorry it didn't work out for yinz. I haven't used it myself, just saw the end results of my bil's use.

mac5155

Home Improvement Thread

Postby mac5155 » Sun May 16, 2021 7:45 pm

You can venmo me the cost, kthxbai

Morkle

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Morkle » Mon May 17, 2021 8:55 am

Getting new HVAC system this week. Can't wait.

Kraftster

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Kraftster » Tue May 18, 2021 3:33 pm

Any 5AF recommendations for a contractor to build a significant addition onto my house in the North Hills?

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Home Improvement Thread

Postby LITT » Tue May 18, 2021 5:25 pm

How significant and what’s your time frame to wanting the project done? My neighbor had a 400sf morning room addition put on and a similarly sized deck and the guys did great work. They only work a few hours a day so they aren’t the quickest but were clean and professional

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed May 19, 2021 2:51 pm

My heating mat is now wired up and operational. I hadn't had time to configure the thermostat, so it ran the default program. I go downstairs and it's set to 88° with all three cats just sleeping on the warm tiles. :lol: